Early AM workouters....

Options
When you do a 5 or 6 am workout, do you eat before or after?

Replies

• RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    After.:)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have breakfast before my workout, but I usually have a cup or two of coffee before :drinker:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I drink water before and eat after. I just cannot eat that early. Or *right* before a workout.
  • paulboon4369
    Options
    before i have breakfast at 5am
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    after, ill have a cup of black coffee on ride to the gym
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym around 5am and eat a little something as soon as I get home and then a more full breakfast on my way or at work. This morning, however, I woke up starving, so I had a piece of toast before. I can't work out with a full stomach, but I was afraid I'd pass out with as much as my stomach was growling. I'd say to experiment and see what works for your body.
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I didn't use to eat out before my morning workouts, but I was told by one of my coaches at Kosama that you should have at least something in your stomach before working out. I have found (this is my first week eating before working out) that I do feel like I have more energy when I eat before, but I just have a protein bar on the way to the gym. So it's not much, but I think it's enough to keep me going. Then right after I get out of the shower at home afterwards I have an Orgain, which is an organic health drink with protein. This system has been working pretty well for me so far.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    After
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    After (I'll usually have a glass of water before heading out the door)
  • carolinafelix
    Options
    I wake up around 5:30 and leave to the gym at 6:15. I usually have one slice of whole wheat bread with one tbsp of penaut butter and a can of FRS (energy drink). After the work out, I have either a egg white omelet or a protein shake with coffee. Nevertheless, I am considering just having the FRS. After I started using this tracker, I realized that the bread & peanut butter add too much sugar to my daily goal! But I just won't work out with empty stomach.
  • jennibell81
    Options
    I drink water before and eat after gym...I get there at 5am!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    After. If I really need something, I'll have a half a banana. Even when I do my long runs on weekends, I never eat first.

I workout out at home and get up about 4:30. Workout is done by 6:30, I take the kids to school at 7:40. I make my breakfast before I head out the door at that point and eat at my desk when I get to work, it's always a smoothie so easy to do at the office.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I normally eat after also, but I keep hearing you should have something before or you wont get as effective a workout, so I've done things like have a piece of toast and if I'm running really late, I actually choke down a dry slice of bread on my way to the car, but it seems like a lot of trouble to do if it's not doing any harm. So I guess I can go back to not having anything before working out.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    If I could get up early enough I would eat at least 1/2 of an apple, but I'm still struggling with getting up, period, so I have a big glass of water before and during, and then I'll eat afterward.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Always workout before food. I get nasty stomach knots if I eat just before a hard workout. Plus, I am waiting an hour to eat because of meds, so might as well get in a good workout!