Natural remedies for allergies?

Options
For some reason, my allergy symptoms are really bad this season. I am taking an OTC Zyrtec and two prescription nasal sprays daily. However, I still have a very sore/raw throat from post nasal drip, and today I woke up with no voice! I have been to my doctor recently (2 weeks ago) and she confirmed that what is going on with me is just allergy related. Throat culture came back negative.

So I am already "treating" my allergies with medications, but what other natural remedies can I add to the mix? Help!

Replies

• arfog
    arfog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've heard that eating local honey will help you adapt to the pollen that is in your area. I don't know if it works or if it's an option for you though.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Pollen allergies? If so, take a teaspoon of local raw honey daily during allergy season. Make sure the honey is local because it has to be pollen from your area.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Eating local honey will help if you are allergic to pollen. It's also quite tasty!

Have you tried a neti pot? You have to use distilled or boiled (and then cooled water) to make sure they're completely safe. It's a bit jarring at first, and to be honest, I switched from the neti pot (which has a passive stream of water flow through your sinuses) to the squirt neti pot (which you squeeze to shoot the water through) because I like to get it over with quick.

When used consistently, I have no sinus irritation. It cleans out that stuff that's making you lose your voice.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I will have to go buy some local honey...and MAYBE a neti-pot. It kind of freaks me out, though!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yeah - neti can be weird, and a lot of work (unless you just buy the water from the store - then it's pretty easy), but man - does it work!