Diet Soda

Options
13»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    On the topic of diet soda:
    Has anyone had bad effects quitting drinking them? migraine city, here. I've nothing against them but I was drinking maybe 3 diet pepsi's a day and haven't had any for a week.
    That would be caffeine withdrawal.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Every now and then I indulge in a Diet Coke w/Lime. I try to avoid them because of the artificial sugar. I have found that keeping my sugar and carbs low is helping with the weight loss. Truth is your body can't tell one sugar from the other (fake vs. raw/natural). Moderation is key.
  • lklegra
    lklegra Posts: 23
    Options
    I say just use it in moderation like most anything else. I like cherry coke zero and Im hearing there are things in it that cause cancer?? I dont know but I try to just stick with one a day

10369894.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ChristinewithaC
    Options
    I'm also struggling with giving up diet coke. I drink it all day and I've been told it's terrible for you. I'm struggling to just have one a day. If I can give up McDonalds, I can give up diet coke. Good luck to you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question for all you folks out there regarding diet sodas. I'm addicted to Diet Dew, but because of the "fake" sugar in these types of drinks, I'm guessing it's probably a no-no? My brother says diet sodas are "poison" just because of the amount of aspartame in them (he's a health nut.) Any thoughts on this? I had only 1 Diet Dew yesterday, and that's HUGE for me! HAHA

Aspartame is an amino acid chain (in other words, it's just protein.) There's more "aspartame" in a 4 ounce pice of chicken then there is in 23 cans of diet soda.* Filter out the biased fear mongering and show your brother the actual science. Aspartame is aspartic acid, combined with phenylalanine. Both are amino acids that are used by the body for various protein duties, and are both found together in every source of protein you eat during the day.

If aspartame was actually toxic, then chicken, beef, tofu, avocados, whey protein, nuts, and anything else that has protein in it would be toxic, as they all have much higher concentrations than you find in a diet soda.

*4 ounces of chicken breast contains 4476 mg of phenylalanine and aspartic acid. An average can of diet soda contains 180-200 mg of aspartame.
    where can I find the info on this to back it up? thanks!
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2 <-- Nutritional information on chicken breast, including a breakdown of the amino acid profile.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090212130028/http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/AspartameQandA <-- Link to information about amount of aspartame in diet soda.
  • trotpop27
    trotpop27 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love Diet Mt. Dew. I drink it all day during work and then go home and drink whatever other diet soda we have. I follow my calories and work out 6 times per week. I figure if I'm so good with everything else why not indulge in something that's hardly any calories at all?

I don't really crave sweets so I haven't found that it makes me desire more sugar but again, if I follow my calorie allowance then what's the prob?
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Watch this, and it might change your mind about drinking anything diet. It did for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI7_8FDzuJE
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    On the topic of diet soda:
    Has anyone had bad effects quitting drinking them? migraine city, here. I've nothing against them but I was drinking maybe 3 diet pepsi's a day and haven't had any for a week.
    That would be caffeine withdrawal.

I didn't think of that until I hit the send button and had a revelation! lol. Thanks :)