Self Sabotage!

Options
Oh man! My head can be my own worst enemy. Sometime during sleep the negativity bug crawled in my ear and had me this morning. I just started doing this weight loss journey again and really got down on myself this morning. The whole "you can't do this...you try and quit smoking yet you are still a smoker so what makes you think this will be different?" So, I got to work and my boss brought doughnuts...SO I ATE ONE! That just added fuel to the fire...the head went SEE TOLD YA! Well I just made a decision that me and my head won't be playing together today. I DO WANT TO DO THIS! I have 5 kids and a wonderful husband that I want to be around for and be a good example for. My husband leaves for a year in May. My goal is to lose 10 by the time he leaves then work on the rest. I am putting the stop smoking on hold and focusing on eating better and starting to exercise. Really I'm hoping the starting to exercise will spur the stopping smoking.

So for the rant! Do other people out there go thru this or am I just a crazy lady?

Replies

• wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel you. Feel free to add me for support and motivation.
  • hopeful29
    Options
    I'm with you on this one. Losing weight is just as much as a mental journey as a physical one. Just keep reminding yourself that you do deserve this and that you can do it.
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My head is my own worst enemy some days! Log that doughnut, adjust as needed today and try to sneak in some exercise to counteract the calories! YOU GOT THIS! Take it a day at a time! Some days I have to take it a meal at a time!

Feel free to add me if you want!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to take baby steps, one day at a time:) Work on today and tomorrow will take care of it's self. You will find lots of support here
    Feel free to add me if you like:)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I eat donuts on occasion, nothing wrong with them.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oh I get that same negative bug as well.. kinda in a funk right now.... rethinking my approach on this and maybe going with a different angle from what I've been doing.... Feel free to add me.. I am on everyday!
  • fergie2812
    fergie2812 Posts: 162
    Options
    At the minute I am going through this a lot
    I am currently arguing over the fact that I don't want nachos tonight even to the point of working out if I've got time to get to the shops to buy some nice cheese
    Food demons are the hardest to conquer
    Keep going and add me if you wan t to
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    My husband just recently quit smoking. He focussed his energy fueld cravings towards doing P90X. He accomplished 2 things at once. Quit smoking AND bulked up. Good luck to you!
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I completely understand. I do the same thing. If I eat one thing bad I feel like a complete failure and then that crappy little voice in my mind says "why bother? Might as well keep eating." I cant let myself succeed because somewhere in my mind I think I dont deserve it. We have to fight it and give that little voice the finger. We can do it. Feel free to add me for support. :flowerforyou:
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You would NEVER let a best friend tell you 'you can't do this' or 'you look terrible today' or 'you are not worth the effort'..........so why should you say it to yourself?????? You would ditch a friend who spoke to you like that very quickly. Ditch the bad friend in your head and every day look in the mirror and tell yourself you ARE worth the extra effort (even after a sneaky doughnut), you are beautiful and you CAN do this!
  • mfarmer112
    mfarmer112 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If feel your pain! Was working out and eating right so I decided to quit smoking. Just started again after going 4 weeks smoke free. So mad at myself! Got stressed out and wasn't dropping any weight. Don't give up! (I keep having to remind myself that too!)
  • chrimsonfyre
    chrimsonfyre Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I get down on myself a lot, but try not to let it ruin the rest of my day. I do my exercise, and I go on sparkpeople every day, yet I'm maintaining weight...why, because my body is working against me right now because of some underlying health issues and I love to eat. I just can't help myself at times, I will eat great all day, go home and the fiance is eating something bad, so I join in on it without even thinking about it, then feel guilty about it later.
    I think we all go through this.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Also... I quit smoking in January of 2011. After 8 prior failed attempts I have finally quit for good. Its the hardest thing I have ever done but after you finally get it you will be amazed how much better you feel and how much more energy you have. Its worth the work (and the temporary quit smoking small weight gain). Dont quit quitting!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I wake up every day with motivation galore! Then some days for whatever reason, it just goes downhill. You can't change the past, but you can start immediately with better choices. Don't let one minor mistake (a donut) derail you!
  • bnewperson
    bnewperson Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Self Sabotage...my specialty! I have lost and gained weight with each of my 3 children, then quit smoking, gained and lost, and now am working at losing my menopause gain, so I consider myself a bit of an expert on this topic (modesty aside) and would like to share a couple of things I have learned:
    1) This is a great time of year to be losing - get out of the house whenever you can - my kids were better outside so the stress was relieved. If you can walk with a friend, even if it is a slow, chatting, walk with the kids - you will feel better...as long as you choose topics that are not lingering depressants.
    2) Everyone says to have some healthy foods ready to snack on if the urge is too great..DO IT - it really helps. Sam's has frozen individual packs of Edamame that can be microwaved in 4 minutes time and are fiddlie and fun. Sensible Portions Veggie Straws or the new Special K chips satisfy that crunch and salty taste need. There are lots of tips out there - make them fun, though so you feel satisfied mentally and physically.
    3) Personally, I have to stay totally away from trigger foods - which for me are those donuts everyone was talking about, sweet carbs in general...but, I have found a couple of craving satisfiers that don't pull me under. If I really need a sweet: a Jolly Rancher will help. I can't crunch them and I don't love them so I am able to stop. In the morning, any fruit flavored 0 fat Greek Yogurt is creamy and feels indulgent, it is filling and sticks with me because of the high protien count - also a good source of calcium.
    Hope this helps you - it does me...this is always a struggle. Good luck...And - GOOD FOR YOU - good for all of us that we are working to be healthier and enjoy life...personally, I want to be able to rock climb with my kids.

I am a believer and yesterday in my devotional reading there was maybe the best helpful thought for me and others might find helpful too: "Do not listen to voices of accusation, for they are not from Me. I speak to you in love-tones, lifting you up. My Spririt convicts cleanly, without crushing words of shame. Let the Spirit take charge of your mind, combing out tangles of deception....When your mind is stuck on a negative focus, you see neither Me nor My gifts." excerpt from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    We allllll have days like this!!!! I always "make a deal with the devil"....as in, I will eat the doughnut, but then I will promise to burn "x" amount of calories to justify eating it. We only live once - I'm not going to deprive myself of something if I truly want it, but I also know that getting right back on the bandwagon is absolutely necessary to achieve the goals I have set for myself. And, I agree, take it one day at a time. There has been weeks where I went over my calorie goals - I got on the scale and didn't see it budge - and I knew it was because I wasn't doing what I had committed myself to. So, anyways, sometimes we get in a rut and need some support from others to boost us up and motivate us to get back on track. You can do it!!!!!!!!