protein before or after workout?

Options
VballLeash
VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
I just got some protein powder and I was wondering if it would be good to take it before my workout or after (mostly running and cycling) Thanks! :happy:

~Leash :heart:

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I have heard to do that after your workout.
  • shansd
    shansd Posts: 48
    Options
    i have protein powder first thing in the morning for energy.
    But it is important to eat protein after a workout- particularly weight training (as the protein is what your muscles need to rebuild after your workout)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I just got some protein powder and I was wondering if it would be good to take it before my workout or after (mostly running and cycling) Thanks! :happy:

Definately take it afterwards. in the first 30-45 mins after working out. If you take it with a simple carb drink (fruit juice), the protein can get absorbed better.

You can take it before your workout as well, but at least 30 mins or more before your workout, to allow to digest.
  • VballLeash
    Options

Definately take it afterwards. in the first 30-45 mins after working out. If you take it with a simple carb drink (fruit juice), the protein can get absorbed better.

You can take it before your workout as well, but at least 30 mins or more before your workout, to allow to digest.

Do you know what the benefit would be for taking it before compared to after or visa versa? Thank you for your input....

~Leash
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

Do you know what the benefit would be for taking it before compared to after or visa versa? Thank you for your input....

~Leash

i am by FAR an expert, but my trainer suggested protein 30-1 hour before our sessions and within 30 minutes after. her suggestions were things like almonds and turkey slices, pb and apples, cottage cheese and a fruit (i think!) etc. good luck!
  • hungrybear
    hungrybear Posts: 45
    Options
    Just wonderng, is not having protein after workout okay? Or is it better to have a little after workout?
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    For cardio I am not so sure that you need a protien shake before or after your workout. The purpose of drinking protien is to repair muscle tissue which is usually torn during a weight lifting session. Since your muscles are made up of protien they need protien to repair themselves. If you do not have sufficient protien in your system at the time of the workout then the muscle will use protien from other muscle to repair, thus eating itself and doing you no good. Body builders will do a shake before and after as well as one or two during the day. I personally only did one after my weight lifting sessions. It really helped to show definition. You need to be careful with that stuff because most of them have a lot of calories. I used to drink the Labada Lean Body. I found it to be the best tasting and lowest in calorie. All of the other poweder stuff you find at GNC or Muscle Max taste like crap. The Muscle Milk is really good, but again, loaded with calories. If you choose to use milk rather than water I sugest using Rice Dream or Soy. You cant even taste the difference once its mixed with the powder.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Oxygen's Ab's magazine this month, and there is a section on nutrition. I just started protein shakes (although I have to force them down since I simply don't like the taste even though it says it's chocolate). But it's not too bad. It says that Whey protein (a whey protein shake) "delivers fast-absorbing amino acids for muscle growth and repair, allowing you to build more lean muscle which is still the best fat burner because, pound for pound, it burns more calories than fat."

Basically, they recommend both before and after the workout. In the pre workout, they often pair some fruit with the whey protein shake. After the workout, they pair some drink with either whey or soy protein shake.

This is a very good issue. I am inspired by the many exercises they suggest for ab work.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I have 1/3 of my low carb protein bar 1 hour before my workout and the rest immediately after. It keeps me energized and appears to be working well, so far.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    For cardio I am not so sure that you need a protien shake before or after your workout. The purpose of drinking protien is to repair muscle tissue which is usually torn during a weight lifting session. Since your muscles are made up of protien they need protien to repair themselves. If you do not have sufficient protien in your system at the time of the workout then the muscle will use protien from other muscle to repair, thus eating itself and doing you no good. Body builders will do a shake before and after as well as one or two during the day. I personally only did one after my weight lifting sessions. It really helped to show definition. You need to be careful with that stuff because most of them have a lot of calories. I used to drink the Labada Lean Body. I found it to be the best tasting and lowest in calorie. All of the other poweder stuff you find at GNC or Muscle Max taste like crap. The Muscle Milk is really good, but again, loaded with calories. If you choose to use milk rather than water I sugest using Rice Dream or Soy. You cant even taste the difference once its mixed with the powder.

right on, except for the soy, I can't (in good concious) recommend soy until better studies have been done by independant labs, right now soy is too scary in it's implications and possible down sides.

Other than that though, Cardio does NOT generally break down muscle fiber, and does not work muscles anaerobically (with the exception of very high intensity workouts in the upper 80s and lower 90s for percent of max heart rate). Extra protein is only helpful when the muscles suffer from micro tears and crossing the lactic threshold for extended periods. Otherwise normal eating patterns should suffice.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I take it before and after

same with some carbs
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Thank you everyone, that was very helpful! :happy:

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after I workout and 45min-1hr before bed.
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    What is wrong with Soy? I've never heard anything neative about it before.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Soy is very controvertial in the health care world. Phytoestrogen for one thing (studies link it to higher rates of breast cancer in women), which can be a problem for men especially.

If you google soy health concerns you'll see lots of articles. Also soy contains isoflavones, which block the thyroid partially, which can have an effect on metabolic rates.

it's a very hot topic right now. You'd be shocked at how much soy americans eat without even knowing. By far we eat the most of any industrialized nation in the world per capita.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    BUMP....for the soy issue!!
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    What does BUMP mean?
  • clk238
    clk238 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump is something ppl write when they don't have anythign particular to say but think it's a good post and want it to remain at the top of the message board so that other see it and respond and continue the discussion. whenever you reply to a topic it "bumps" the topic to the top of the board.

Now what about this soy thing? i don't think I eay ANY soy(no milk, etc....) but Boss says we eat more than any other nation? where is the "hidden" soy?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    bump is something ppl write when they don't have anythign particular to say but think it's a good post and want it to remain at the top of the message board so that other see it and respond and continue the discussion. whenever you reply to a topic it "bumps" the topic to the top of the board.

Now what about this soy thing? i don't think I eay ANY soy(no milk, etc....) but Boss says we eat more than any other nation? where is the "hidden" soy?

it's used as a filler for a lot of things. Like protein bars, some cereal, baked goods.