Running and Blisters

Options
Was wondering if any runners out there have any suggestions.

A little over a month ago I bought some new running shoes. . .not the most expensive and not the cheapest (I work at a shoe store pt, and did my research). . .and of course ended up with a blister on each of my heels after the first few days, but I expected that, considering I bought them, went to the gym and then proceded to "run" in them several days in a row and not taking time to break them in.

Now, I am in W4 of C25K (well the more techno version I found at http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html). I started it yesterday and made it through for the most part without a problem. About 1/2 the way through, I noticed a sharp pain on the inside of my left foot - the middle front of my arch - I didn't think to much of it, and did finished the run. This morning, I hit the gym and started in, and the same thing happen but this time not just on the left side. It happened on the right as well. It felt like a needle poking me. And it hurt to walk, let alone run. I stopped at 2/3 the way through because I couldn't take it any more.

I took my shoes off and looked and couldn't find anyting inside. And when I touched my foot where it was, it stung. When I got home, and really looked, I noticed a blister on each of my feet where it was hurting.

Why would I develop these blisters all of a sudden?

Is there anything I can do make them go away faster, make them hurt less when I hit the gym next if they haven't gone away?

How can I prevent them in the future?

Replies

• atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What model of shoe, and what kind of socks do you wear?
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am the blister Queen. I have tried every shoe out there and I've always gotten blisters. I was leading a training clinic to do a 56 km walk. I was doing this through a running store so I had access to all the latest shoes. They teased me becasue every week I had a new pair of shoes.

What I found was that shoes proect you from the road but socks protect you from your shoes. invest in some really good, moisture wicking socks. Ask at your local running store.

Then stock up on foot glide (vaseline) and mole skin.

In Solidarity, Kristine
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I bought the Asics Gel Blur 33. It is a lighter weight, some what minimilist shoe, i.e. quite flexible but still has plenty of support.

In the past I wore some high quality socks but couldn't find any yesterday. And then got in a hurty and ended up working out without socks on. I know probably not the best idea, but the shoes have plenty of breathability, and I didn't notice a sweaty foot.

Today, I had on some generic cotton socks with plenty that came up my ankle quite a bit. They were the 1st pair of matching socks I found. But, I had already had the blister on my left foot and the right one came on today wearing the socks.

Would I pick that up at the local running store?
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options

I bought the Asics Gel Blur 33. It is a lighter weight, some what minimilist shoe, i.e. quite flexible but still has plenty of support.

In the past I wore some high quality socks but couldn't find any yesterday. And then got in a hurty and ended up working out without socks on. I know probably not the best idea, but the shoes have plenty of breathability, and I didn't notice a sweaty foot.

Today, I had on some generic cotton socks with plenty that came up my ankle quite a bit. They were the 1st pair of matching socks I found. But, I had already had the blister on my left foot and the right one came on today wearing the socks.

Would I pick that up at the local running store?

yes, you can get foot glide at your running store. It is a god send!!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest moleskin too. I don't have a blister problem but we used to always take moleskin along on backpacking trips and it works really well.
  • obunnyo
    obunnyo Posts: 1
    Options
    Blisters are just a part of running, you're not doing anything wrong. Socks make a big difference, good old cotton socks are going to hold sweat and make more blisters. You have new shoes too, and that means new "hot spots." So now you've identified where these shoes are creating blisters for you, protect those areas each time you wear them. Use mole skin or bandaides until the blisters are healed. Duct tape is a great preventative once the blisters have healed. Vaseline or body glide is good preventative, but won't help much with the blisters you have right now. You can get body glide at a running or athletic store, but vaseline or lotion do just as well unless you're getting into higher mileage.

Happy running!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I thought that blisters were just a normal part of running until recently. I got full running evaluations done (pressure pads, treamills, recorded runs, etc) and got guided towards the best shoes for my feet. The day I bought them I went for a 5 mile run at a 9:50ish per minute pace and my feet never felt better in my life. Ran four miles worth of hill training the next night and three more the following. Also did my long run of 12.5 miles in them at a 9:52min per mile average pace and not even an inkling of the beginning of a blister in site.

What was explained to me when I was shopping for the shoes and getting the evals done is that when you try the shoes on the first time, they should feel exactly how you expect them to feel for the life of the shoe. Nothing that you would need to break in or get used to how it felt overtime. The shoe shouldn't really touch your foot anyplace beyond where it's laced and you should go half a size up from day to day to shoes to allow for your foot swelling as you run.

Also, as others said, make sure you have decent socks. Seamless, the right size for your foot, don't slide around, wick moisture away, etc.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I love some adidas clima-cool socks for keeping my feet from getting soggy.
    Lack of sog=lack of blisters for me
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're shoes fit properly and you're wearing wicking socks blisters are not part of running. You shouldn't have to break in new shoes.

If your shop does their job properly then the pain is unnecessary.

Not much you can do to make them go away faster other than poke them with a sterilized needle to let the liquid out (don't peel back the "bubble" and keep the area protected.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you're shoes fit properly and you're wearing wicking socks blisters are not part of running. You shouldn't have to break in new shoes.

If your shop does their job properly than the pain is unnecessary.

Succinct! A quality I lack. lol
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You need to find the right shoes that work for you. The right size, right arch support, even the height of the sides with the ankle bone groove (no idea what this part of shoe is called).

I used to get blisters from runners all the time, I'd have bandaids all over my heals and ankles, then I discovered Adidas Supernovas and there's no break in period for me at all. First time I put them on and away I run. I did a 10km race a week after buying new pair last year and not a blister or foot pain to be found.
    I wont buy any other type now.

Agree with everyone else on the socks too. They're more important than I ever thought possible. Any kind of dry-wick should work, just watch for seams around the toes.