Semi regular "GET FRIED" night ...

Options
Hey gang. I have a friend who is maddeningly skinny and seems to never stop moving. Once in a while (maybe every 2 months) he likes to bust out the fryer and do a 'get fried' night at his place. Fried Pickles, fried jalapenos, fried turkey, Fried (insert your novel food here that you would like deep fried),and Fried Oreos. Not to mention most people are drinking above average amounts of alcohol.

This is historically a fantastic time. Lots of cool people, fun conversation, and just generally a good time. We have not had a "fried" night since I started my 1800 calorie journey - but one is planned for this weekend.

How can I still be part of the group, partake in some of the food, but not completely blow my 'new lifestyle' out of the water? Tips? Hints? Commiseration?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I used to go out A LOT, and that often meant getting greasy fried bar food too. I prepped for my first night out after my weight loss by just eating a giant chicken salad for brunch and then I saved the rest of my calories for going out. I had some fries and a couple of beers, but I really paced myself so that I could go all night. And it worked. Honest, though, alcohol inhibits weight loss and I ended up gaining 2lbs that week...........so it's a trade off.

I'm also just really honest with my friends and I just openly will say "Oh, no thanks, I can't eat that..." or things like that and they are remarkably understanding and supportive. ;)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You could eat a healthy dinner before you go, and still sample a couple of the fried things and have a drink. If you don't particularly care about the fried food, just go to hang out.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned I'll eat really light during the day and work out if I can and then I can eat more at night although I try to take it slow and steady. Maybe interspace the beer and friend food with water?
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    workout before, eat the food BEFORE They fry it up.. and partake in whatever your favorites are. :smile:
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You could try alternating alcohol drinks with a glass of water.
    Arrive a bit late.
    Delay when you start eating. (I find it easier to delay starting eating appies than stopping after I've had a couple of drinks, thusly having at least an illusion of control.)
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You could eat a healthy dinner before you go, and still sample a couple of the fried things and have a drink. If you don't particularly care about the fried food, just go to hang out.

I agree, you alive & well, celebrate what you want then get back in the game asap!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Exercise earlier in the day, eat healthy prior, save up some cals for a few of your "fave" fried treats when you get there!
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I would pick one or maybe two items that I REALLY enjoyed fried and have some of those, pass on the rest. You may find after starting your healthy journey that fried food jsut doesn't taste as good as it used to. Workout before... eat well the rest of the day and enjoy your friends!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hey gang. I have a friend who is maddeningly skinny and seems to never stop moving. Once in a while (maybe every 2 months) he likes to bust out the fryer and do a 'get fried' night at his place. Fried Pickles, fried jalapenos, fried turkey, Fried (insert your novel food here that you would like deep fried),and Fried Oreos. Not to mention most people are drinking above average amounts of alcohol.

This is historically a fantastic time. Lots of cool people, fun conversation, and just generally a good time. We have not had a "fried" night since I started my 1800 calorie journey - but one is planned for this weekend.

How can I still be part of the group, partake in some of the food, but not completely blow my 'new lifestyle' out of the water? Tips? Hints? Commiseration?

If you are set to lose 1 lb/week you can eat up to 2300 cals without gaining, if you are set at 2lbs/week that would put you at 2800, so if you are at 2 weeks and get 2800, then aslso go for a workout and burn another 600 or so, that would give you a total intake for the day of 3400, without gaining any weight, then the next day get back on the wagon, this will only make you miss your weekly goal by 1 day 8 days to lose 2 lbs instead of 7.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I would eat something at home before you go. Then you'll be full and while you may want to try this or that? You won't be starving and want to gorge on it.

I will warn you -- if you've been eating well and avoiding fried foods? You may have a bit of.. um.. intestinal discomfort and issues afterward. The first time I had something fried after watching what I ate for awhile? Oh boy. I was so sick. I avoid fried stuff now.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Don't drink, or at least don't drink right away. When I drink, I'm much more likely to eat whatever is in front of me, and then have another drink or two. Stick to water at first and maybe join your friends for a beer at the end of the night.

Eat a healthy meal before you go, and then get one plate of fried food at the party. The pickles and peppers will be somewhat healthier than the oreos and such.

I eat fried stuff once in a while, and I certainly have my share of beer and wine. It can all be part of a healthy lifestyle, as long as you don't overdo it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Eat your regular dinner before going to the party. Then, at the party, pair up with a friend (or the host), and just have a taste of the fried stuff you want to try. And.. just be mindful of what you are drinking. As long as you don't do this every week you should be fine. Have fun and don't leave you brains at home!
  • Tiki1978
    Tiki1978 Posts: 364
    Options
    Now this might not me the "normal" answer but I say indulge a little. Looks like from your progress you've done a great job. And I really feel that everything in moderation is ok. We're not going to go through our lives not indulging in anything. Its just a matter if knowing when to stop. Work out that day, drink your water and have a healthy dinner. Enjoy :) Of course I might save my calories for some alcohol lol Good luck!
  • jaxboxchick
    Options
    I agree with those that say exercise first. Earn those fried food calories and then you won't feel guilty about it, but don't go crazy and over eat. You can have fun and not over indulge, or you can go crazy and get back on track tomorrow.

I personally just wouldn't go because I know I would go crazy, I love fried stuff!
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    Could you bring something to share that is not fried?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What's the worst that can happen?

You normally eat 1,800 calories, lets say 800 of that is dinner. For your fried food extravaganza, you have a whopping 2,000 calories of deep-fried deliciousness for dinner instead, making a total of 3,000 calories for the day. That's only 500 calories over what an average man eats to maintain. You're not going to grow a spare tyre from that. Run for 40 minutes earlier in the day and you're back to zero surplus calories. Go back to your normal deficit the next day, no harm done and everyone had a great time.

Bingo :drinker:
  • legittuszynski
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and logic y'all! I think I know the answers - I am just kind of freaked out by the caloric bacchanale that is going to occur - and my past performance tells me that my will power is suspect at times.

HERE WE GO! I can do this. :)
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Eric and BerryH.

What's life without our simple pleasures? You need to just stop stressing it, and go eat the fried food goodness.

What's the worst that could happen? It takes 3500 calories to make 1lb of fat so even in a worst case scenario, if you ate up to your daily goal, then past that up to your maintenance goal, then even further past that by a whopping 3500 calories, you would still only gain 1lb. And you'd lose it again the next day.

Like Nike say: Just do it.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would have a good workout. Feel proud of yourself for getting a good burn so you're on a big of a high. Have a healthy dinner, drink plenty of water. Eat a few fried things, have a couple beers. Enjoy yourself but don't gorge yourself. Be sociable, have some fun! Once in a while will not kill you, just make sure to drink plenty water and eat well the day after!
    Is it possible for you to take some healthy options? I know it's supposed to a fried food night but hopefully your friends are aware of, and will support you, in trying to be healthier and will not call you a spoil sport for bringing popcorn, fruit salads or veggie dips with celery/carrot sticks!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options