Butter VS Margarine

Options
Butter has gotten a bad rap for years yet we're finding more and more that fat free does not necessarily mean better for you.
So I'm curious what people prefer to buy and use and why

I use organic unsalted butter myself. Why? I know what all the ingredients are and can list them on one hand.

butter-or-margarine.jpg

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Did you read my response to you?
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I prefer using butter - less ingredients, more natural and more tasty :-))
  • KristieLynn007
    Options
    I eat butter. Margarine has a bunch of bad stuff in it....
  • nathanspowell
    nathanspowell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you. I avoid any processed food that I can. Single ingredient foods are much easier on the liver and allow it to work harder at the job of metabolism.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    We are learning that hydrogenated oils (a.k.a. margarine) are actually really quite bad for you. I've always been a fan of butter over margarine, except if it's directly from the fridge. So darn hard to spread without ripping apart your bread! ;)

Vegetable oils should NEVER be solid at room temperature.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Butter.....we don't use a lot (except when I'm making shortbread) and it tastes better.
  • allie_girl
    Options
    This has been a long debate for years... I think butter wins.

I may be the only person on earth that doesn't like either.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm a Parkay girl...raised on it, still use it, in everything that calls for butter

Butter...Parkay!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I love butter. Butter butter butter butter. BUT! I love a thick smear of Country Crock on ice-cold chocolate cake (preferably out of a bundt pan).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Unsalted butter

And Land O Lakes Spreadable Butter.
  • tamerica07
    tamerica07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I actually use the whipped butter i know land of lakes makes it, i don't know what other brands but it has half the calories and fat as with the stick butter and just as natural!
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    We are learning that hydrogenated oils (a.k.a. margarine) are actually really quite bad for you. I've always been a fan of butter over margarine, except if it's directly from the fridge. So darn hard to spread without ripping apart your bread! ;)

Vegetable oils should NEVER be solid at room temperature.

lmao....never understood why my Grandma would keep it out in the butter dish (always covered of course) until I started buying stick butter! ARGH!
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Options
    Thanks ladies and gents...

Just so we're clear, I don't care what other people use, however most my friends look at me like crazy when I avoid margarine now. I still use condiments that probably have a few too many ingredients but I'm working on it! ;)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm a Parkay girl...raised on it, still use it, in everything that calls for butter

Butter...Parkay!

Me too.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i was raised on margarine, and i remember my grandma always saying butter was better.

about five years ago when i switched my entire family to healthier less processed foods we switched to just straight butter.

i keep stick butter for cooking (which really is only for baking occasionally)

and we love whipped butter for our toast, bagels, etc. challenge makes it as well as land o lakes and some grocery stores have their own generic brand. love that the ingredients are just cream and salt.

moderate amount of butter is so much better for you then something that is full of chemicals. our bodies know what to do with it. IMHO
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    butter, or olive oil
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Options
    a friend of mine posted this on FB the other day - the top right blob is margarine, the lower left blob is reduced fat margarine, and the lower right is real butter. if ants won't eat it, neither should you! BUTTER for the WIN!!!

425972_10150574578126640_361064221639_9468289_697952041_n.jpg

Looked this up online....pretty interesting actually....gross but interesting
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use both. I'll use margarine in things that I'm not too worried about the taste on, but if it's something that requires a buttery flavor... real butter is the way to go. Some people have cholesterol issues though so they have to use margarine (my father is one of them) and on the other hand, margarine can interfere with some of your blood functions so some cannot eat it if they are on blood thinners, for example.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Haven't purchased or tasted margarine in years. My parents use margarine, and it really seems gross to me. The way it doeesn't actually melt, just...softens....ew.
    I keep my usage of butter under control, because it's dense in calories, but I won't ever switch to margarine. Yuck.