I"m out

Options
Ive really been busting my butt and its not paying off. Im gaining weight instead of losing. Id even be ok with maintaing for a while, waiting for my body to adjust, but gaining is not an option. I am so depressed.
I just want to crawl in bed and sleep for a few weeks, maybe months. I dont know if its pms or just pure exhaustion from being so busy and doing it all on my own! I can't stick around here so focused on my weight, eatting and exercise, if its not getting me anywhere. Thats just too frustrating and dissappointing. Thanks for all your support anyway. I appreciate it, but nothing seems to be working for me. Good Luck to the rest of you all.

Keep on Moving

Replies

• mappy
    mappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Momma2boys0609,

I recommend printing out your last few weeks food and exercise diary and bringing it to your physician or nutritionist. There maybe something else going on with you physically that needs attention.

Please don't compromise your health - stay healthy for your boys. They need and love you.
    AND....you are their eating and exercising role model. What they see mom and dad doing, they will learn.

Your a fabulous mom. Don't give up.
  • momma2boys0609
    Options
    Thanks, Im trying to do things the right way. That is why I'm so extra frustrated because I am really trying. I dont have insurance, but will try to save up some money to go to the dr because it could take a while to get on insurance. I know my boys need me and Im really trying to be a good role model, but being a single mom with dad never being in the picture at all, I feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders. My boys are my entire world and I want the very best for them in everything.
    Im fighting the urge to just stop eatting all together because I know in the long run it will only hurt me, but I also know that I had success that way in the past. I know I have hypotyroidism and am on 50mcg of levothyroxine, but wondering if I need my dose adjusted. I was also diagnosed with PCOS a few yrs ago, but havent had a physical since I got pregnant last june, so Im not sure where things stand with anything right now. I hate to be a downer, I really do. Im just so frustrated and confused.
  • LauraMN
    LauraMN Posts: 2
    Options
    Sometimes we hit a plateau - rally and say you will get the best of it! Keep it going, you've lost alot! Your body's just trying to hang on to those pounds.
  • saretta71
    saretta71 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have hypo too - I know how frustrating it is. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what's doing you in. If you're that bummed out - try maintaining for a few months and be happy with the weight you lost!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Just looked at your diary for a few days this past week. Not sure if these days you logged everything, but you need to eat more.

07/26 1202 of 2025 daily calories (exercised for 725 calories, so your body got 400 calories that day
    07/27 1059 of 1530 daily calories
    07/28 927 of 1487 daily calories

Also if you are hitting a plateau, some people suggest eating 100 cals more for a week along with different exercise can trigger it to go back down.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think you need to work on your mentality a little. I don't know why you have the idea that starving yourself is a good way to go about losing weight...heck, I'd rather be fat than starve myself...not even for the food, but for my body. You can't torture and starve your body and expect it to respond like you want it to. You seem depressed, and you seem to have bigger issues with food than just trying to drop a few pounds because you're overweight. I think you need to talk to someone, and get some help.

I hope you find success and happiness.
  • mappy
    mappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just in case you missed it. This was a very good explanation by member "Banks".

Thanks, Banks!

"I still see many people that are confused or "question" the idea of eating your exercise calories. I wanted to try (as futile as this may turn out to be) to explain the concept in no uncertain terms. I'll save the question of "eating your exercise calories" for the end because I want people to understand WHY we say to do this.

NOTE: I'm not going to use a lot of citation in this, but I don't want people thinking this is my opinion, I have put much careful research into it, most of which is very complicated and took a long time for me to sift through and summarize, and thanks to my chemical engineering backgroud I have the tools to read clinical studies and translate them (somewhat) into more human terms. Some of this information comes from sources I can't forward because they are from pay sites (like New England Journal of Medicine), so you can ask for anything, but I may or may not be able to readilly provide it for you (I can always tell you where to go if you want to though).

I'll break it down into 3 sections.
    Section 1 will be our metabolic lifecycle or what happens when we eat and how our body burns fuel.
    Section 2 will be what happens when we receive too much, too little, or the wrong kind of fuel.
    Section 3 will be the steps needed to bring the body to a healthy state and how the body "thinks" on a sympathetic level (the automatic things our body does like digestion, and energy distribution).

Section 1:
    Metabolism, in "layman's" terms, is the process of taking in food, breaking it down into it's components, using the food as fuel and building blocks, and the disposal of the poisons and waste that we ingest as part of it. Metabolism has three overall factors, genetics, nutrition, and environment. So who we are, what we eat, and how we live all contribute to how our metabolism works. You can control 2 of these 3 factors (nutrition, environment).
    When you eat food, it is broken down into it's component parts. Protein, vitamins and minerals are transported to the cells that need them to build new cells or repair existing cells. Fats(fatty acid molecules) and carbohydrates are processed (by 2 different means) and either immediately burned or stored for energy. Because the body doesn't store food in a pre-digested state, if you eat more carbs and fat then you need immediately, the body will save them for later in human fat cells (adipose tissue). This is important to realize because even if you eat the correct number of calories in a 24 hour period, if you eat in large quantities infrequently (more then you can burn during the digestion process), your body will still store the extra as fat and eliminate some of the nutrients. (Side note: this is why simple or processed carbs are worse for you compared with complex carbs)

Section 2:
    The human body has a set metabolic rate (based on the criteria stated above), this rate can be changed by overall nutritional intake over a period of time, or by increasing activity levels also over a period of time (the exact amount of time for sustained increase in metabolic rates is the subject of some debate, but all studies agree that any increase in activity level will increse the metabolism).
    It is important to note that obesity does not drasticly change the level of metabolic process, that means that if you become obese, you don't burn a higher fat percentage just because you have more to burn.
    The balance of incomming fuel vs the amount of fuel the body uses is called maintenance calories, or the amount of calories it takes to run your body during a normal day (not including exercise or an extremely lethargic day). The metabolism is a sympathetic process, this means it will utilize lower brain function to control it's level, it also means it can actively "learn" how a body is fitness wise, and knows approximately how much energy it needs to function correctly. It also means automatic reactions will happen when too much or too little fuel is taken in. Too much fuel triggers fat storage, adipose tissue expands and fat is deposited, also free "fat" cells (triglycerides) will circulate in the blood stream (HDL and LDL cholesterol). Too little fuel (again, over an extended period) triggers a survival mode instinct, where the body recognizes the lack of fuel comming in and attempts to minimize body function (slowing down of non-essential organ function) and the maximization of fat storage. It's important to note that this isn't a "switch", the body does this as an ongoing analysis and will adjust the levels of this as needed (there is no "line" between normal and survival mode.).
    When you're activity level increases, the human body will perform multiple functions, first, readily available carbohydrates and fats are broken down into fuel, oxydized, and sent directly to the areas that need fuel, next adipose (body) fat is retreived, oxydized, and transported to the areas it is needed for additional fuel, 3rd (and this is important), if fat stores are not easilly reachable (as in people with a healthy BMI where adipose fat is much more scarce), muscle is broken down and used for energy. What people must realize is that the metabolism is an efficiency engine, it will take the best available source of energy, if fat stores are too far away from the systems that need them or too dense to break down quickly, then it won't wait for the slower transfer, it will start breaking down muscle (while still breaking down some of that dense fat as well).

Section 3:
    The wonderful part of the human metabolic system is it's ability to adapt and change. Just because your body has entered a certain state, doesn't mean it will stay that way. The downfall to this is that if organs go unused over a long period, they can lose functionality and can take years to fully recover(and sometimes never).
    As long as there is no permenant damage to organ function, most people can "re-train" their metabolism to be more efficient by essentially showing it (with the intake of the proper levels and nutritional elements) that it will always have the right amount and types of fuel. This is also known as a healthy nutritional intake.
    Going to the extreme one way or the other with fuel consumption will cause the metabolism to react, the more drastic the swing, the more drastic the metabolism reacts to this (for example, a diet that limits fat or cabohydrate intake to very low levels). In general terms, the metabolism will react with predictable results if fuel levels remain in a range it associates with normal fuel levels. If you raise these fuel levels it will react by storing more fat, if you lower these fuel levels, it will react by shutting down processes and storing fat for the "upcomming" famine levels. The most prominent immediate issues (in no particular order) with caloric levels below normal are reduced muscle function, reduction of muscle size and density, liver and kidney failures, increase in LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, and gallstones .

Now onto the question of "Eating your exercise calories"

As I have hinted to throughout this summary of metabolic process, the body has a "range" in which it feels it is receiving the right amount of fuel. The range (as most doctors and research scientists agree) is somewhere between 500 calories above your maintenance calories and 1000 calories below your maintenance calories. This means that the metabolism won't drastically change it's functionality in this range, with that said, this is not exact, it is a range based on averages, you may have a larger or smaller range based on the 3 factors of metabolism stated at the top.
    On our website (MyFitnessPal), when you enter your goals, there is a prebuilt deficit designed to keep you in the "normal" metabolic functionality while still burning more calories then you take in. This goal DOES NOT INCLUDE exercise until you enter it. If you enter exercise into your daily plan, the site automatically adjusts your total caloric needs to stay within that normal range (in other words, just put your exercise in, don't worry about doing any additional calculations). Not eating exercise calories can bring you outside that range and (if done over an extended period of days or weeks) will gradually send your body into survival mode, making it harder (but not impossible) to continue to lose weight. The important thing to understand is (and this is REALLY important) the closer you are to your overall healthy weight (again, your metabolism views this a a range, not a specific number) the more prominant the survival mode becomes (remember, we talked about efficiency). This is because as fat becomes scarce, muscle is easier to break down and transport. And thus, the reason why it's harder to lose that "Last 10 pounds".

I really hope this puts a lot of questions to bed. I know people struggle with this issue and I want to make sure they have the straight facts of why we all harp on eating your exercise calories.

-Regards,

Banks"
  • patns
    patns Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you became pregnant last June. If that is right you have likely just given birth. Your hormones will still be all over the place. Do you think this is a good time to stop eating? You may be suffering from post natal depression.
  • momma2boys0609
    Options
    Yes, I did become pregnant last June and gave birth Februaru, 2009. I guss my hormones could be out of whack yet, it's just that I had already lost the baby weight plus 30lbs, after my 1st child. I did just start my period again for the first time since last June, so I think a lot of this is pms.
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When did you have your last child?? The reason I ask is that I have two boys, 3 years apart. Both pregnancies I gained a lot of weight. I lost it both times going to Weight Watchers. The doctor told me wait 6 weeks and then I could start working on losing weight. Literally the day the six weeks hit, I was at a Weight Watchers meeting. BOTH times though, even though I did EVERYTHING perfect, I actually wouldn't lose at first, and some weeks I even GAINED! I was literally in tears. I felt so out of control. It was like my body had a mind of it's own. I think it HAD to be something to do with hormones and my body adjusting. I kept doing the right things and eventually (within a month or so), my body starting dogin what I wanted it to. I started losing weight. It was REALLY frustrating when I was going through it though. I felt like the people weighing me in thought I was full of it. I wasn't though. I wrote everything down and did the plan perfectly. You ARE going to be fine. Relax. Eat healthy. Don't be so tough on yourself. If you need someone to talk to, I'll try to encourage you. My boys were born in (Dec) 2003 and 2007. I lost 60 of the 60 pounds I gained with the first and had lost 38 of the 50 I gained with the second when I got pregnant again. I lost that child just before going into the second trimester. It was hard emotionally and I never have been able to get back on track losing the weight either. I lost that baby 11 months ago. I've felt very discouraged. I am home with my little ones who are VERY active and keep me very busy. My husband is military and gone a lot. I eat when I fell stressed...which is often. I'm sick of being so big and not being able to wear most of my clothes. I'm committing to one day at a time.

Best Wishes to You....

Susan
  • kaliena22
    Options
    Maybe you are being too hard on yourself. You have already lost 35 pounds you are that much closer to you goal than if you hadn't started. So pat yourself on the back and forgive yourself. .

Have you thought about Taking a break, maintaining this weight for a coupleof weeks - that is an accomplishment too ! Set a date in the near future to start again,

For example, I will msintsin this weight without gaining until August 21st. On august 22nd I will reduce my calorie intake by 200 calories a day.

Or whatever fits your personal situation. You know you can do it because you already have done it!
    Best of Luck

PS regarding insurance - there are places you can go for medical care FOC, check your community resources.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Hi there,
    Just looked at your diary for a few days this past week. Not sure if these days you logged everything, but you need to eat more.

07/26 1202 of 2025 daily calories (exercised for 725 calories, so your body got 400 calories that day
    07/27 1059 of 1530 daily calories
    07/28 927 of 1487 daily calories

Also if you are hitting a plateau, some people suggest eating 100 cals more for a week along with different exercise can trigger it to go back down.
    I agree. I took a look too. Also, I saw very little water consumption, unless you didn't log it.

exercise.png
  • momma2boys0609
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it. I am going to take the advice of some and take a break for a little while. I will still be checking in and watching what I eat, I'm not going on a binge, but Im not gonna be so religious about it right now. Im in management round of clinicals and studying for boards, so that and my kids need to be top priority . After boards, I will come back and get semi-strict again. Thank You all.
    Joy
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it. I am going to take the advice of some and take a break for a little while. I will still be checking in and watching what I eat, I'm not going on a binge, but Im not gonna be so religious about it right now. Im in management round of clinicals and studying for boards, so that and my kids need to be top priority . After boards, I will come back and get semi-strict again. Thank You all.
    Joy

Just a thought..................

You have PCOS. Has your Dr discussed low carbing and PCOS???? The doctor should have discussed and advised you when your diagnosis was given.

Good Luck to you!!