HR monitor?

Options
2»

Replies

• penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar RS300. I like it a lot. This is my second HRM and I will never go back to working out without one!
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. It's great! I also have a Fitbit for tracking my sleep and basic daily activity levels. (I only wear the HRM while working out, but wear my Fitbit pretty much 25/7.)

The chest strap is surprisingly comfortable... I thought I would be really bothered by it, but I barely notice it's on.
  • lindathome
    lindathome Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use the HR Monitor that's with my Garmin 310XT for all of my workouts (except strength training) - I won the Garmin at a post-race event, so I was lucky. However, I also have the BodyMedia FIT - and wouldn't go without it for anything. I've been wearing it just over a year now, and have lost 42 pounds since first getting it. www.bodymedia.com Just to clarify - BodyMedia is the manufacturer of the 'BodyBugg' device as well (same device) - it was just branded as BodyBugg for 24HR Fitness, and uses a different software/online application than the original BodyMedia devices. Typically you can get the BodyMedia devices (there are several different models) for anywhere from $99 to $200, depending on the features you want.

Good luck!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you're going to use it.

If you're a runner, I suggest you go with a Garmin for its GPS capabilities as well. I have the Garmin Forerunner 110 and I love that thing to pieces. It's got the HRM and it also does GPS so I can take my runs anywhere.

I know others are quite fond of the Polar Brand out here. I suggest you check some out on Amazon and just look at the reviews and evaluate them by how you're going to be using them specifically.
  • kturn6420
    kturn6420 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the motiva mio and it works really well. I have the watch version of it. The only con I have found to it is that you have to take your heart rate several times during your workout since it doesn't spontaneously take it for you. Its not too bad, just kind of a pain.
  • duffydog1
    duffydog1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think polar are the best - the combination chest band and wrist strap. Buy it on ebay - there are loads of people selling them for less than half the price of new!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I've owned (3) Polars and they are great. Reason for (3) is the more advanced my working out became, the more I found a need for a different version (like GPS versions for my phone or one that stores A BILLION years worth of data).
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have the basic M2 Suunto (Finland design) $75. It's a very girly design, that is why I chose it. Easy to read screen. Huge numbers! You get your heartbeat in real time and calories burned as well. It has a comfortable heart monitor strap.

I tried the Garmin and the MIO before choosing Suunto

Garmin: the HRM strap was too bulky, loose fitting and not easy to put on. The watch was $149 and it didn't calculate the calories burned if you didn't get the foot pod $70 as well. I returned it.

MIO: $70 - the pros are that it has no HRM strap. The watch comes with 2 stainless steel buttons and it reads your pulse when you press two fingers on the face of the watch.

Cons: during physical activities the HRM couldn't read my pulse. It takes 8 seconds to get a pulse. It disrupted my workouts.
  • amackenzie0214
    Options
    I've been using Polar now for about 12 years, on my third one which is currently the FT 60. I wouldn't get anything but the Polar myself but there are others options out there. Determine your budget and then look at the features of each modle. I like the FT60 because it has a feature that breaks down your heart rate into 3 zones low, med and high, so you can tell how much time you are really pushing yourself verses not going as hard. It also has a fit test feature that enables the watch to calculate calories based on your personal test results making it more accurate for your body. Plus if you workout at a gym or on any electronic stationary equipment the polar works with most of the equipment I've seen. If I'm on a treadmill, elliptical, stair stepper, etc. I can see my heart rate without having to look at my watch and you can use the heart rate mode of the equipment without holding onto those sensor handles (don't look at calories on the equipment it's always off I just look at my HR to know to increase or decrease effort) and look at my watch for calories at the end). Hope that helps.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am thinking I need to get a Heart Rate Monitor. What does everyone have? I don't need a top of the line one, but I want one that really works. Any recommendations on brand, price, what not to get, etc?

^
    ^
    Thank you for posting this. I put this same question out there yesterday to my friends. I was wondering if i should get a Fitbit or another type of HRM. SO many options out there!!
    Would love recommendations from people who have them.
    Thanks!

A fitbit works well if you walk a lot - Seems like a glorified pedometer with a few extras. I believe (could be wrong) that it's best for all day calorie burn... whereas a HRM is best for pinpointing exactly how many calories you burn doing a particular activity, like a spin class or running a few miles.
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What about the FitBit? Any experiences out there?

LOL - just saw that last post after i posted this one. thanks!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You can''t go wrong with any of the Polar FT series, it just depends on your budget and what additional bells & whistles you want.

If you're running (or walking) outdoors you may want to look at a Garmin instead, with the GPS you can accurately measure your running routes and (I'm a bit of geek this way) their Training Center software graphs out heart rate changes (loooks like a roller coaster during intervals) and other data. They can also be used indoors as a HRM.
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. It has really made the difference for me. Got mine from Amazon and I think I paid around $80. It is worth every penny.

^^^^^^^^^ me too ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got mine from heartratemonitorsusa.com

I love it, and also feel it has made the difference for me too.
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    bump
  • tiamaria8182
    tiamaria8182 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 (with chest strap), about $75 on Amazon. I use it for every workout and love it.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I bought my Polar FT4 at Target for like $80-90 bucks, and it's my new best friend. Seriously user friendly and easy to update. The only "issue" I've had is that when swimming, I have to get the chest strap super tight so it monitors properly. I love this thing.
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4?s=fg&gclid=CIjkp67U164CFQdN4AodJyGllQ

got the polar ft4 for $61.00...love it and its so simple to use plus a great price!

^^^^^^ This. I bought mine from here. Super cheap. Easy to use and the watch is super cute. I got the bronze colored one.
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it. It was around $70 I think from Amazon with free shipping. It's been very accurate. No complaints whatsoever!!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have a question on this I didn't see in the comments. My apologies if it was there and I missed it.

I need one that is easy and simple to use that has an alarm because I have to make sure I stay in my target zone as moving outside of it causes Post Exertion NeuroImmune Exhuastion with the illness I have and I collpase for days or weeks.

So, is anyone here using one that fits my needs?