Help for Coaching Newbies

Options
I have gotten several of my friends interested in doing a mud run in six months. We will run as a team and help each other as needed. Many of these friends are currently where I was a few months ago - over 300 lbs. and with almost zero regular exercise. They are also almost all in their early-mid twenties.

They look to me for advice on how to get in shape for the run.

I have been doing C25K and Stronglifts, both to great effect. I feel confidant I can help them modify these programs if the starting level is too high for them. I am not sure, however, that they are ready to start both at once - that seems like a recipe for working them too hard at the start and making them feel like this is unmanageable.

Between the two, would you start them on Stronglifts combined with light walking, or would you start them with C25K and minor body weight exercises? Would you do something else completely? Why?

Hiring personal trainers is not really an option for them, both financially, and I also suspect from a motivation standpoint as well. They see me getting in better shape and realize they can do the same. I would love your input on this topic.

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    What sort of mud run are you doing? Is it a Warrior Dash with a bunch of obstacles? If so, I would say focus on strength first- in my experience it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to the obstacle if you can't get through it/over it/under it.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it will be Warrior Dash or something similar - a 5k with obstacles. The precise run will be determined in the next week or two. I know that you can generally skip obstacles that you cannot complete, but I also want to help my friends get to a point that they do not need to skip anything.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'll start with I focus on running, so that you know where my answer is coming from. I suggest the C25K to start with to build the stamina and endurance. In general practice for runners, the strength training comes as a complimentary set of fitness inputs for training, but should not be overlooked or discounted.

From my own personal experience, I did my own form C25K a couple of years ago, and gradually built up the endurance to not only handle running multiple miles and competing in 5Ks, but also the motivation to take it to the next level. I really started a big focus on weights and circuit training this year, and have noticed a huge impact in body composition as well as my performance in races.

One other suggestion is that you guide your friends through the C25K, really encouraging them along the way. Have them set a regular 5K road race as a step goal on the way to the Warrior Dash. Although the "themed" 5K races are fun and interesting, the obstacles throw an element in there that makes them more difficult. A straight 5K race is simple and will build immediate confidence when they cross the finish line (with you cheering them on of course!).

Congratulations on your achievements, and I applaud and respect the fact that you are "paying it forward" by helping your friends. This is a wonderful thing - keep it up! :bigsmile:

Greg
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input so far. I would love to hear from more people on this.
  • jstaff87
    jstaff87 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am a beachbody coach (I don't really run so I can't give personal advice on that) BUT from the POV of "coaching" people without having formal fitness training...whenever I am working with someone I make sure to ask them what their goals are first. It's important to find out where they want to be at the end. That should give you a better idea of how hard to push. I always try and just listen to them first and ask as many questions as I can. Once you get a good understanding of where they want to be you will know where to start with them. And it's always ok to just come out and ask them things like "how much time do you have to put into this everyday" and questions like that that can help you get them on the right schedule. If their goals don't meet the amount of effot they want to put in I just tell them that and then either rework their goals to something more realistic or they decide they want to push themselves a little more. Make sense? Hope that maybe helped you a little bit.