lower weights/higher reps change of workout

poedunk65
poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
I have recently been told by both my physical therapist and famly Dr to lower the weight and raise the reps of my weightlifting section of my workout. Now I am no power lifter by any means, I do 3 set of 10 of each wieght/machine. Lat pulldown i am at 110lbs, chest pull/upper back machine 150lbs, bicepts machine 90, triceps 110, and verticl traction machine 150.

The tell me I am causing joint stress and need to maybe cut weight in half and raise reps to 4 sets of 15 or similar ratios. I have recetly lowered all mylower body weights due to knee replacement and they want me to cut swimming out which i won't.

To make a long story shorter, lol, i used to to karater which i loved and it took me along time to find a workout i will even go do.

Any opinons out there?

Thanks

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    I have recently been told by both my physical therapist and famly Dr to lower the weight and raise the reps of my weightlifting section of my workout. Now I am no power lifter by any means, I do 3 set of 10 of each wieght/machine. Lat pulldown i am at 110lbs, chest pull/upper back machine 150lbs, bicepts machine 90, triceps 110, and verticl traction machine 150.

The tell me I am causing joint stress and need to maybe cut weight in half and raise reps to 4 sets of 15 or similar ratios. I have recetly lowered all mylower body weights due to knee replacement and they want me to cut swimming out which i won't.

To make a long story shorter, lol, i used to to karater which i loved and it took me along time to find a workout i will even go do.

Any opinons out there?

Thanks
    Really doesn't make too much sense to me. What they are saying is cancelling each other out. You may have dropped the load, but you increased volume. Either way your joints are going to be stressed the same.

Are you doing any exercises that are not machine related?
  • poedunk65
    yes i do standing bicept curls, wall squats, was doing bech presses. I should add i have been doin this at the loal "Y" for over a year now. They tell me I am building too much bulk and not enough definition. It is causing upper back issues and shoulder issues. check out my workout if you like, i jus tposetd and cut weights in half.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    "Building too much bulk and not enough definition"

I call BS here... with the weight that you've posted, you're not doing anything harmful to your body - quite the opposite! Definition is not a function of light weights and high reps - it is a function of body fat percentage. If you are having joint or mobility problems, then by all means change things up. But I might be more inclined to look for more compound lifts that can work a whole range of muscles, thereby helping to prevent over- or under-development of one side versus the other.

In other words, get off the machines and pick up a barbell. Try working on 5 major lifts that work your entire body in concert, including stabilizers: Squat, bench, shoulder press, bent over row, deadlift.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    BUMP!
  • Rboch
    Rboch Posts: 53 Member
    Also, swimming is generally amazing for your body overall. I'm not sure why they would want you to stop all together.
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    I definitely agree to see more definition, you have to lower bodyfat. That means stricter diet and/or bump up the cardio some. Also maybe look into glucosamine (sp?) supplements. It is supposed to help with your joints. I have been taking it for a bit, and I can tell a difference. Also, for a dr to make a recommendation against swimming sounds very odd to me. It is a wonderful, low impact form of exercise. My husband has knee issues as well, and he started doing some swimming and it helped immensely. I would look into another opinion if I were you.
  • poedunk65
    They said the swimming due to shoulder issues. And I have always been told that higher reps/less weight = more definition vs. higher weight/lower rep = bulk
    The main issues is developing arthritis and the joints, i already take gluc/chondriotin for joints. Less weight and higher reps is too make for more motion and strengthening the muscles around the joints at the same time.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    This is an interesting topic and something I have had experience with over the years.

First of all if you are going to see a Physical Therapist my assumption is you are having some type of pain related issues. I'd listen very carefully to him/her if you are indeed having any pain issues for at the very least a short duration. Are you or have you been recently injured in some way or is it simply joint stress?

If you historically have joint issues you NEED to begin taking Glucosamine ASAP after talking with your doctor of course.

As far as adding bulk here is my personal formula that works for me.... maybe you can grab any idea from it?
    Heavy Weights + Low Reps + High Sets
    For example if I'm trying to add more muscle mass to my chest I will bench press 290lbs - 300lbs for 3 - 5 reps while doing 6 or more sets (two - three minute rest in between) Additionally my calorie intake is 2500 - 3500 daily when adding bulk with nearly 0 cardio (about 1 - 2 times a week). Whey Protein Isolate before workout, Creatine before workout, and Whey Protein Isolate nearly immediately after workout. Workouts cycle 3 days on, 2 days off then 2 days on 3 days off (The body needs time to rest and restore in order to GROW)

When I'm trying to lean out or add definition which I'm doing now
    Light - Medium Weight + High reps + Low - Medium Sets I will bench press 180lbs - 225lbs for 12 - 15 reps while doing 4 sets then alternating SUPERSET of cable crossover or chest butterfly. Additionally my calorie intake is 2000 - 2200 when leaning down and cardio is EVERYDAY of treadmill intervals or jumping rope and jumping jacks when I can't make it to the gym. Workout cycle is 6 days on 1 day off and no protein or creatine or amino acid supplements.

Someone on the thread mentioned diet is a factor of definition. I agree with her big time, whether you are trying to bulk up or lean out, whatever you put in your mouth (supplements, vitamins, and food) is 75% of your goal success. For example there are supplements to take for bulking up, and certain ones to take while leaning out.