Beta blocker hindering weight loss?

Options
I am taking 10mg of a beta blocker for high blood pressure. I have many people telling me this will hinder my weight loss since it slows my heart rate down as well. I still get to 120-130 during my INTENSE cardio work outs (used to be 150-170 my HR got up to). Any ideas? Was wondering if i should switch to a calcium channel blocker instead...

Replies

• Leahjensen7
    Leahjensen7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Beta blockers and calcium channel blockers both act in different ways, but calcium channel blockers also lower your heart rate. I do know that beta blockers can make you feel tired and less energetic. However, I would say keep doing what you're doing and don't mess around too much with your medications. You were also on a HCTZ? (saw your last post). Give it time and see if maybe you need to mix up your workouts? It's risky to change around these types of meds too frequently and your health is most important.

Good luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's more important to keep taking your blood pressure medication.

Yes it may interfere with your metabolism, but it shouldn't seriously hinder your weight loss if you are eating well and getting your heart rate up. You may want to try a lower intensity workout for a longer period of time, or try interval training (not that everyone wouldn't benefit from interval training!)

Unless you are finding it really difficult to progress, see how things go for a few weeks before you make any serious changes. Also, make sure that you are only changing one thing at a time - It's easier to calculate what effects variables have if you don't make big changes all at once.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was on a beta blocker when I lost the bulk of my weight. It did make it harder to get my heart rate up there. If you're having a hard time losing I would check with your doctor about a possible switch to a different medication for your blood pressure.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I was on chlorithaldone- close to the same thing as HCTZ.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hi - Im on a beta blocker currently for migraines & it hasn't interfered with my weight loss at all.
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am on Bystolic which is also a beta blocker for the past 2 months and it lowered my BP quite nicely. I have noticed my HR is lower too. I have lost 6 lbs in 4 weeks so I havent noticed an effect on weight loss yet.
  • aquasw16
    Options
    I am on Bystolic. Good to hear it hasn't hindered! I was hoping it wouldnt!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    It's more important to keep taking your blood pressure medication.

Yes it may interfere with your metabolism, but it shouldn't seriously hinder your weight loss if you are eating well and getting your heart rate up. You may want to try a lower intensity workout for a longer period of time, or try interval training (not that everyone wouldn't benefit from interval training!)

Unless you are finding it really difficult to progress, see how things go for a few weeks before you make any serious changes. Also, make sure that you are only changing one thing at a time - It's easier to calculate what effects variables have if you don't make big changes all at once.

This.

With the part I really want to emphasize bolded.

Also, the other poster is correct too- calcium channel blockers also lower your heart rate.
  • aquasw16
    Options
    Yes, I know it is important to keep taking it. And I know the calcium channel blockers lower it i have just been on the understanding that it works a bit different so I can get a better burn and increased HR when i work out.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I lost 2/3 of what I have lost whilst taking a beta blocker - then my BP dropped too low and was causing me to faint. My GP gradually withdrew the beta blocker- so am free of it now.
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this topic! I'm on Bystolic as well...5MG. For those who are on it, what's your dosage. I did gain a few pounds, but I'm not sure if it was due to taking my eyes off the prize of if it was the medication.

I hadn't realized weight gain was a possible side effect until recently.
  • BeckyAnneGreenGables
    Options
    Just asked my doctor about this last Thursday. I take a beta blocker; I asked if I could take it after I exercised in the morning to lessen the effect on my heart. He said sure. So I now take it after I exercise.

Then he said, "I want to see you in six months, when you've hit your goal weight, and we'll see if we can get rid of the beta blocker as well!" I've lost thirty-five pounds using MFP; I have stopped taking the hydrochlorothiazide (water pill) I used to take and am looking forward to being as med-free as possible.

Best news from that visit? He doesn't want me to weigh 135 (within the "normal" BMI for my height) he wants me at 150. Only 19 pounds to go!!