Where can I find some extra "oomph"?

Options
msliu7911
msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
Do you all have any suggestions for some extra energy throughout the day?

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do like hot tea. I avg about 6 hrs of sleep per night... so that could be why I don't feel at my best... however when I try to get at least 8 hours, I still feel kind of tired throughout the day.

Thanks!

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    b vitamins help, I also have a multi-vitamin with "energy support" and it has ginseng I think.
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way, I went to the Doctor, and he did some blood work on me.. I found out I was severly low on Vitamin D. I have been taking it a little over two weeks.. I feel more energetic already.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do like hot tea. I avg about 6 hrs of sleep per night... so that could be why I don't feel at my best... however when I try to get at least 8 hours, I still feel kind of tired throughout the day.

Thanks!

I know exactly how you feel! I despise the days that I feel sluggish!! I am a coffee drinker and sometimes that does not help because my body is used to it. I take the correct vitamins but still feel tired some days even with 8 hrs of sleep. I think it can depend on the day, your mood, and maybe the food you consumed. This is a question I would love to know the answer to but I think there is not one specific thing that will provide a ton of energy. Are you tired every single day? Do you sit all day?
  • smb17
    smb17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You may want to get your thyroid checked. Have you tried getting 8 hrs of sleep consistently?
  • LJC44
    Options
    I was feeling the same way, I went to the Doctor, and he did some blood work on me.. I found out I was severly low on Vitamin D. I have been taking it a little over two weeks.. I feel more energetic already.

Without vitamin D you can def tell a difference in mood and energy level.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Get enough sleep, balanced diet, and small meals every 3 hours, including one that includes natural almond butter or peanut butter.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    For some reason I was thinking oompa loompa

But to answer your question.
    I would get more than 6 hours of sleep. I read 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep is optimum. The exact amount depends on your individual needs. http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm
    I found what I eat makes a big difference, that may tie into the whole vitamin b thing, but flax seed and having enough protein before 2 or 3 pm seems to make my energy stay up.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    From that report:

Think six hours of sleep is enough?

Think again. Researchers at the University of California, San Francisco discovered that some people have a gene that enables them to do well on 6 hours of sleep a night. But the gene is very rare, appearing in less than 3% of the population. For the other 97% of us, six hours doesn’t come close to cutting it.
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Multi Muscle is an amazing energy boost, especially for body builders and rigorous exercisers, but it is a great liquid vitamin for anyone. It has every vitamin you could possibly need and it is way more absorbable to your cells.
  • LJC44
    Options
    Multi Muscle is an amazing energy boost, especially for body builders and rigorous exercisers, but it is a great liquid vitamin for anyone. It has every vitamin you could possibly need and it is way more absorbable to your cells.

Where do you get it and does it replace a multi-vitamin?
  • rldnellor
    rldnellor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What do you do for vitamin D? A supplement? I have tried multivitamins for women but they are so big I gag on them and can't swallow. I started taking my sons...supplement for a teenage boy...much smaller, but not sure that it is geared toward what I need? I have purchased a lot of individual...calcium, biotin, magnesium, zinc, vitamin E...but all in one would be nice.
  • LJC44
    Options
    What do you do for vitamin D? A supplement? I have tried multivitamins for women but they are so big I gag on them and can't swallow. I started taking my sons...supplement for a teenage boy...much smaller, but not sure that it is geared toward what I need? I have purchased a lot of individual...calcium, biotin, magnesium, zinc, vitamin E...but all in one would be nice.

You can find vitamin D in small gel capsules.
  • Rosiered2
    Rosiered2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^THIS THIS THIS............I had the same experience!! I was so depressed at the thought that I would always feel this "LOW".......I wanted to take a short nap at red lights! My doctor did the blood work, my vitamin D was almost non-existent, she put me on about 6,000 units a day and I feel AMAZING.........This happened before I even began losing weight, and it probably is the reason that I gained a lot of the weight. NOW I have the energy to focus on weight loss and getting up early to exercise.........truly was miraculous for me and it is over the counter. My doctor thinks a lot of people have this deficiency because we don't get as much sunlight.....being fair skinned can also make it worse because you don't process the sunlight as efficiently?? Anyway, try it for 2 weeks and see if you feel better........easy easy fix if that is the problem! (I've had about 5 friends take my advice and ALL 5 are thrilled and feel a million percent better........one friend found she probably never did need her depression medication, it was a vitamin D deficiency) Good luck, hope you feel better!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One night of 8 hours sleep isn't going to be enough when you're already so sleep deprived. You definitely need to get more sleep on a regular basis and eventually you'll start to feel better.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    "oomph"? Is that one of the new Extra Desserts flavors? Try WalMart.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    exercise in the am
    at your break time, go take a walk.. that helps tons!
    take a small break and do nothing when you get home.. 30min or so to just rest or relax
    plan your days.. small task but does so much!
    go to bed on time =)
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My doctor informed me to take Vit D 5000mg a day. I also take a prenatal (though not prego) 2000mg of fish oil.. Fish oil can also help with energy depression it has all kinds of benefits as well.
  • msliu7911
    Options

Thanks!

I know exactly how you feel! I despise the days that I feel sluggish!! I am a coffee drinker and sometimes that does not help because my body is used to it. I take the correct vitamins but still feel tired some days even with 8 hrs of sleep. I think it can depend on the day, your mood, and maybe the food you consumed. This is a question I would love to know the answer to but I think there is not one specific thing that will provide a ton of energy. Are you tired every single day? Do you sit all day?

Lately it does seem like its every day. And no I don't sit all day... I stand. :) I have a standing workstation but for the most part, I just stand and type most of the day (taking a little break at least ever 1-2 hrs)
  • msliu7911
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I have had a thyroid check, and luckily that is fine. I do take a multivitamin from Vitamin World (womens ultra), so i would assume it has Vitamin D in it.

I think I will go my general practicioner and have them check my vitamin D levels. I don't want to start taking it over the counter along with my multi because I know that too much is also bad. But I think that is a really good place to start!
  • LJC44
    Options

Thanks!

Lately it does seem like its every day. And no I don't sit all day... I stand. :) I have a standing workstation but for the most part, I just stand and type most of the day (taking a little break at least ever 1-2 hrs)

I hear ya and it sucks! I go through phases where it seems like everyday I feel tired. I actually posted a similar topic on here ha! Try vitamin D, a multi-vitamin, and fish or salmon oil. Also, you could try a fiber supplement to ger rid of the nasty waste! (gross I know but true!)