Frustrated Envy

I am not normally an envious person at all. I don't believe in being envious of anyone and the bible says that it is a sin to be envious of anyone. However, I have had a rough time with it this past week. I love my sister in law and am very happy for the decisions she has made for her weight loss journey. She had gastric bypass surgery a week and a half ago and is healing great and has already lost weight...fifteen pounds to be exact. :grumble: I am a little frustrated because I have been working hard and busting my butt to drop the weight I have dropped thus far. It has not been easy but what I have lost has been worth it. The old me wants to give up and sit in a corner with a container of ice cream because I feel like I cannot compare and that I have failed. :frown: I feel that if I don't push myself hard enough I'm going to be left as the only heavy girl in the family and I will be left out. I don't know why I am feeling this way except I guess I just feel frustrated because I want the weight to come off just as fast as hers is coming off. Has anyone every felt this way or had any similar situations like this before? Ok, not that I'm done ranting and venting....it's time for some exercise! Thanks MFP friends for listening! :smile:

Replies

• heleflump
    heleflump Posts: 57
    Hey - we're only human - it's natural to be envious - but what you have to remind yourself is that you are doing it the healthy steady way - re-educating yourself about food for long term gain. It is all about personal choice - it can't have been an easy decision for your sis in law to make and it wont necessarily be any easier for her - yes she may lose weight quicker, but there are other problems and hurdles for her too - they are just different to yours. Concentrate on YOU and YOUR successes (who knows - she may well be envious of your willpower and discipline to do it the surgery free way) I would take invasive free weightloss over surgically assisted anytime - the only side effect of MFP is loss of weight, increase in energy and self confidence and loss of inches - what's not to like!! Support one another and be proud!!! Good luck
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member
    I think we all feel envious at one time or another.

You are doing this the right way, even though it's harder. Just remember it's better to work for the things you have. You appreciate them more.

As for weight loss surgery, I know it works great for some. However, it's really not worth the risk. I have a friend who lost a lot of weight, but has now been in and out of the hospital due to complications from the surgery. I would rather be a little heavier but healthy than thin and skinny.

I also know people who have lost a lot of weight, and then their skin just hangs on them. It's not attractive. By working out and losing slowly, your skin will decrease with you more naturally. And toning up always looks good.

You are learning the right way to eat and work out. This will benefit you in the long run.