Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent first post for a guy to make :wink:
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    lol Glad the supplements I take have that covered.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I say avoid all supliments, eat foods that fit your desired nutritional profile
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Women over 25 should take the following supplements:

Multi-Vitamin
    Antioxidants
    Omega-3
    Calcium
    Magnesium

Reasoning? Can't you get all of those in one pill?
  • Jason3357
    Jason3357 Posts: 13
    Options
    LOL, the majority of my friends and clients are female so I gear most things to them.
  • Jason3357
    Options
    The problem with not supplementing when your dieting is you cannot get enough vitamin and minerals eating 3500 calories a day of the perfect foods, so when most people are down to 1200-1500 calories they are in a sever nutrient deficit. So at minimum a multivitamin is needed when dieting.
  • Jason3357
    Options
    Multi- discussed in previous chain due to calorie deficit.

Antiox - dieting releases harmful free radicals, hard on internal organs and skin. Dont want to loose weight and get rough skin. :-)

Omega3 - help with metabolism, cancer fighter, cardiovascular disease fighter. Both higher chances in woman. Yo-Yo dieting increases those chances as well.

Calcium - Women are at a greater risk than men of developing osteoporosis, so it’s important to get plenty of calcium to support your bone health, especially while exercising. Injuries are why most of us gained weight in the first place. Pregnancy can be classified as a bodily injury.

Magnesium - Calcium alone is not enough. magnesium, vitamin D, and vitamin K, help your body absorb and actually make use of the calcium. Magnesium being the primary assist in absorption.

I hope this helps.
  • Jason3357
    Options
    Excellent.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    The problem with not supplementing when your dieting is you cannot get enough vitamin and minerals eating 3500 calories a day of the perfect foods, so when most people are down to 1200-1500 calories they are in a sever nutrient deficit. So at minimum a multivitamin is needed when dieting.

I do not belive this statement to be true beacuse this asumes humans are broken by default. It just doesn't add up for me asuming we got here via evolution why would we even exist if not for being able to give ourselves the nutrition we need from real food. I also disagree with limiting calories, eat good, wholesome, healthy, nutriant dense food and your body should respond better than it ever could on a restricted calorie diet + supliments. At least thats my opinion.
  • Jason3357
    Options
    I agree with you the problem is your not figuring in technology. The average woman ate 4000 calories a day just 25 years ago due to much greater amounts of daily work, movement and exercise. We ate more and carried less fat. But now with so many things being sedentary we are forced into calorie restriction. Evolution does not take into account the fact that the human race has quit moving. The great thing about this program is when you exercise you get to eat those calories back up. But for the normal sedentary job that means over 2000 calories a day of additional burn thru exercise. This equates out to walking at brisk 3.0 pace for 500 min a day. Or about 7 hours and 20 min. Since most people cannot due that we are left with little choice.

The basics of your thoughts are correct, eat a bit less, eat nutrient rich food, supplement for nutrients you cant get enough of due to sedentary work environments, and move...move...move.
  • Sleekit
    Sleekit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What about women under 25?
  • Jason3357
    Options
    One thing to note that none of the studies you listed showed these woman were in a calorie/nutrient deficit due to dietary restrictions and excess use of nutrients from extra exercise. It shows taking these in excess of amount needed is bad for you. But again I am speaking of woman exercising and restricting calories for a goal, need to supplement these nutrients to remain in balance of necessary macro nutrient levels. But very interesting studies.

Also a bit difficult to get an accurate measurement of mortality issues on woman beginning supplement program at average age of 61.6 years at baseline in 1986. Any normal study will have a 5% lenience of error so a 2.4% change with all the factors contributing at almost 62 years of age is a skewed study to begin with. Just my opinion.
  • Jason3357
    Options
    Bodies under 25 are still in positive cycle of life and need very little assistance to remain in balance. So enjoy it while you can but if you are dieting (as i see you are, 7 pounds great job) then a multi to get necessary missing macro nutrients is a good habit to get into.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    I see your point, but what if you where going to the doctor, getting blood work done, and they tell you, you have no deficiencies. Or... that you do, so you eat foods high in the nutrients you are deficient in and you go back for tests and claim that now you have no deficiencies. Do you think they are accurate enough, and at that point would taking a supplement do more harm than good? or have little to no benefit to justify the cost?
  • Sleekit
    Sleekit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bodies under 25 are still in positive cycle of life and need very little assistance to remain in balance. So enjoy it while you can but if you are dieting (as i see you are, 7 pounds great job) then a multi to get necessary missing macro nutrients is a good habit to get into.

Thank you so much! I wondered about it. I do take a multi and vitamin C and echinacea (cause I work with kids and they are the plague and always get me sick!)
  • Jason3357
    Options
    I see you are very passionate on your point here. But, allow me to explain. Macronutrients like the ones we are discussing in multi-vitamins are things like the following:

Bone Strength with a high level of Calcium, more† Vitamin D and Magnesium
    Breast Health with more† Vitamin D
    Heart Health with Vitamins B6, B12, C, E, and Folic Acid
    Immunity with Vitamins C, A, E and Selenium
    Physical Energy with B vitamins and Chromium
    Healthy Reproductive System with Folic Acid, Magnesium, Zinc and Calcium. Provides nutritional support during PMS and Menopause
    Healthy Skin with Vitamins A, C, Copper and Iron

Blood work done by a doctor, even work as extensive as a Chem 14 or a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel tests for:

Albumin: 3.9 to 5.0 g/dL
    Alkaline phosphatase: 44 to 147 IU/L
    ALT (alanine aminotransferase): 8 to 37 IU/L
    AST (aspartate aminotransferase): 10 to 34 IU/L
    BUN (blood urea nitrogen): 7 to 20 mg/dL
    Calcium: 8.5 to 10.9 mg/dL
    Chloride: 96 - 106 mmol/L
    CO2 (carbon dioxide): 20 to 29 mmol/L
    Creatinine: 0.8 to 1.4 mg/dL **
    Glucose test: 100 mg/dL
    Potassium test: 3.7 to 5.2 mEq/L
    Sodium: 136 to 144 mEq/L
    Total bilirubin: 0.2 to 1.9 mg/dL
    Total protein: 6.3 to 7.9 g/dL

Now the only one these really share in common is Calcium. And yes Calcium in excess can lead to calcium deposits and bone spurs. But since milk is higher in sugar and difficult for the body to digest (as all dairy is) we rarely see high levels in exercising woman.

So with that said the only one that tests for the macro nutrients we are discussing is a specialty doctor or dietitian. They do this though food analysis and if you talk or work with any of them they will tell you that if you are dieting (or as I prefer, menu planning) and exercising than you are not getting enough of these nutrients. For every one study you can find regarding ill effects of multi-vitamins I can show you 50 that are positive. As well as thousands of personal trainers, health care professionals, and dietitians That would agree from personal experience on themselves and their clients. I happen to fall in all 3 of those categories.

I hope this explains things a bit better. And please let me know if you have any other questions. I love your passion and your willingness to research and question the status quo.
  • Jason3357
    Options
    Anytime. New to this site but love how much people communicate on it compared to others i have used.