Need to lose 20+ pounds for my wedding!

Options
Hi, I'm Melissa. I'm 23 years old and I'm getting married June 9th. When I got engaged last April I swore I was going to lose 50 pounds before the wedding. I started out good, but eventually got stressed out and gave up and ended up gaining 20 pounds instead. I tried on my wedding dress yesterday and I could barely get it zipped. It was definitely uncomfortable. I desperately want to lose the 20 pounds to at least get back down to what I was at when I bought the dress, and I really hope that the motivation to fit into my dress will be enough to get me there. I've tried dieting many times and have never been successful.

I was wondering if there are any weight loss pills or drinks that actually work? I know you're not supposed to use them, but I'm on a very strict time limit here, and I'll take any help I can get. I was thinking about Slim Fast's 3-2-1 plan, where you replace two meals per day with a Slim Fast shake. My mother did this when I was younger and it worked moderately well, though she did end up gaining all the weight back. Does anyone know anything or have any experience using Slim Fast? Are there any other weight loss supplements that you would recommend?

There's a huge hill by my house that leads downtown. It's about a mile down and a mile back up. I walked that today with my dog and I'm planning on doing it at least 4 or 5 times per week. I also bought some weights to work my arms (need to get rid of that flab! strapless dress!), and I'm thinking about joining a gym so I can attend some classes like Zumba and Yoga and things like that.

Anyway, this is getting lengthy, so I'll stop here. But I would love any and all tips and advice you may have! Thanks!

Replies

• JoeyliciousB
    JoeyliciousB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa, congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I got engaged last year too and would like to lose 40 pounds before I walk up the aisle. I've lost 8 pounds so far in about 3 weeks (2lb since I joined MFP about a week ago). MFP really helps!

I definitely think that if you follow a healthy eating plan (max 1500 calories a day, lots of fresh fruit and veg) and the exercise you have stated, you could lose 20 pounds before the big day (2-3 pounds a week).

Diet pills don't tend to be a good idea. I have tried loads and honestly, most don't work! Waste on money really. Also, if you fast track the weight loss, you might find you'll pile it all back on again.

I've also tried Slim Fast and only lost a few pounds which I put back on as soon as I stopped the plan.

Keep on it the healthy way, you'll get there!

Feel free to add me if you need some motivation. Good luck! :smile:

Ps - I have arm issues too! Lol! Chair dips every other day is toning them up!
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    You have a few months and by following strictly to a lose 2lb per week plan, you should be able to lose your weight. Don't succumb to diet pills or weird drinks!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the wedding.
    In life there are ALWAYS reasons to get emotional so try and just be rational about your goal. Get exercise whenever you can, cut down eating, but eat enough to not make yourself overeat.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Follow MFP and you will lose the weigh! I started this about a week into Feb. and am down 19lbs! Drink lots of water, eat within your calories no matter what and exercise whenever you can,. I sometimes only get 10-20 minutes in but every bit helps! You will lose that 20lbs plus some fast if you stick with it! You can do it!
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    Melissa - congratulations!

Now, I am 54 yrs old...and I lost 20pds for my Daytona bike week vaca last week and just joined MFP in January. You can do it! You are young and have a goal set. You have a bit over 2 mths.
    Stay motivated, eat properly and within your caloric limit, log your food accurately and throw 30 minutes of exercise in each day. That is what I did
    trust me, once you reach my age it is hard work getting the gained weight off but it can be done!
    Go for it....stay focused and let us know how it is going.

:happy:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    That's 11 weeks away. So less than 2 pounds a week loss is all you need. Just set your profile to lose 2 pounds a week and count those calories. :-)
  • clh1608
    clh1608 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am on the same track, wedding in August. I have been putting off the wedding dress shopping until I can actually see the wieght start to budge. Working out and trying to cut the temptations out of my life. I have done this before and felt so much better. I even reached a point where junk just didn't taste good. I am looking forward to junk food tasting bad again and my skinny clothes fitting.
  • mpowers13
    mpowers13 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm getting married on July 13th! I too am trying to shed some pounds with the help of MFP. I just started this week, but the 2 lb a week goal is definitely doable. It hasn't been hard to feel full or content on the calories I'm set at. If you need any motivation or help add me! Our weddings are very close... we can keep each other accountable!
  • MrsBoney
    MrsBoney Posts: 12
    Options
    I am needing to lose weight for my wedding in July. I bought my dress in September and have gained 15 pounds. Since the beginning of the year, I have lost 5 pounds using MFP alone, and another 5 pounds since March 12th doing MFP and P90X. In the week and a half that my fiance and I have been doing P90X, I have also lost a percent of my BMI and gained a lot of definition in my flabby arms (I also have a strapless dress). I know this program is expensive, but you can find discounted copies on Amazon.com. We were lucky and have borrowed ours from a good friend. If you can get your hands on the program and can dedicate 1-2hours a day to the workouts, I highly reccommend it and support it!

Hint: There are three different ways to do the program; Classic, Cardio, and Lean. My friend tried it the Classic way and ended up gaining in muscle mass, getting discouraged and quitting. My sister did the Cardio program, she and her husband both toned up quite a bit, but lost minimal weight. So far during the lean program, my fiance and I have noticed improvements in our energy level, weight loss, and definition in our muscles. I would highly recommend the lean program if you try it! Good luck and congrats on your upcoming marriage!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    No pills, girl, you don't need them! There is a great drink though-water. Only one I recommend but it does make a huge difference. I've got tons to lose myself and would be glad to be a part of your journey, too. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

You've got two solid months to do it, so you can get there, never fear. Start with drinking your water, eating more vegetables and watching your calories. Add in your walking every day and you'll be well on your way. I want to give you a pat on the back for making the decision to start on this journey. This is a great way to start your new life. I know you'll do it!
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Omg, holy cow.... we are wedding buddies. I am also gettting married June 9. :-)

At least you dress zips. i picked mine up last weekend and they tell me that I need to lose approx. 30 pounds for it to close properly in the back. So, I'm on a mission. :-)

Please dont try any pills... your body is more important than that! Just buckle down and put in the work. 20 pounds is attainable by our wedding day. I sure hope it is... or else that means my 30 pounds is not. :-)

Take a long hard look at your workout plans and nutrition and see where you can tweek it to make it as awesome as possible. Watch sodium and carb intake and try to get in plenty of protein with working out so much. Also, make sure to eat.... no starving youself. :-)
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You have a little over two months to lose weight for your wedding. You should eat as clean as possible for those 2 months while maintaining a good exercise schedule.

I got married this past October and wanted to fit into a size 4 dress (which is one size smaller than I am) so I'll tell you what I did (it worked for me and my husband lost 25+ lbs as well):

Exercised daily (made working out a priority) Running, walking, spinning, weights, yoga
    Ate basically a vegan diet (plants, fruit, seeds, grains) and protein powder
    No alcohol (this was the hardest thing ever!)

1 weeks before the wedding we both did a 8 day juice fast at a spa. Organic vegetable juice 3 times a day and water & coconut water. The spa was great. My our wedding date, I fit easily into my size 4 dress and my husband went from 210 to about 189.

Hope this helps. If you want the info on the juice fast I can send it to you via email. I saved all the paperwork from the spa.

Oh, and I taped pictures of skinny women in bridal gowns all over my house (and on the frig) so I was constantly reminded of my wedding and my wedding dress.

Good luck & congratulations!
  • greatsimplicity
    Options
    Congrats! If you do it the right way, you will lose weight and feel happier and better physically emotionally and mentally, allowing you to deal with anything that comes your way for your big day. I have discovered that ignorance is my cause of weight gain, feeling lost and hopeless is inevitable when you are not well informed of your own body needs.

Look up your calorie intake- BMR- and your calorie deficit. They will help you get started :)

1 lb of fat = 3500 cal
    3500cal / 7 days (week) = 500cal <- you must burn 500cal a day with excercise to lose 1 lb/ week
    *if you want to lose 2lbs / week then burn 1000 (500x2) cal a day

*You must work out, it is best, if you decrese your calorie intake by 500cal a day - your body wont have enough calories to function

So if your calculated calorie intake is 1400 for example and you work out and burn 500, then you must consume 1900 calories, yes that means eating more ! (healthy of course) (1400 +500 = 1900) // - this creates your 500 deficit needed to burn 1 lb a week with out stressing about eating too much and hopefully not pushing you to give up.

If you were to reduce your calories by 500 w/out working out you your total consumption would be 900calories. And 900 is not enought for your body to fuction on a daily basis, its not healthy and it might turn your body to starvation mode which will end up making you gain weight.

When your body has muscle, your muscles actually use calories to 'maintain' themselves. But unfortunately if you have fat, the fat does not use any calories to 'maintain' itself. Another plus to working out!

I burned 600 cals yesterday from 1 hr of being on the elliptical it wasn't too badand I feel great.

Do some research and you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!
    You can do it!!!
  • trotpop27
    trotpop27 Posts: 19
    Options
    Melissa, I totaaalllly know where you're coming from! I got engaged on Christmas 2010 and am getting married on August 18 of this year. I had MORE than enough time to lose the 70-80 lbs I wanted to but ended up gaining about 15 lbs instead. I was so down on myself for not losing the weight that I would just give up and revert back to my horrible ways. I would justify to myself that Tyler, my fiance, loves me so who cares what I look like.

Finally on January 1st of this year, over A YEAR after my engagement, I realized that I needed to get down to business and started losing weight. Now...I have only lost 10 lbs since the new year BUT e v e r y d a y is a struggle. If you really want to lose this weight then you have to work on it everyday.

Don't think of success as 100% but as 80%. If you focus on 100% perfection then when you have a misstep you will feel like giving up and cheating. If you accept that misstep, and realize that what you did isn't helpful towards reaching your goal, then you can bounce back from it and try to complete the rest of your day.

You can do this but you need to truly watch what you eat and exercise. I just found an awesome (and exhausting) hill behind my work that I have started to climb everyday at lunch, just like you found your hill! Twins? haha...but anyway...Making it a daily or 5x a week goal to hit that hill may be just what you need to jumpstart your metabolism.

And if you don't enjoy counting calories, which most don't, then just find like 3-5 things that have proper calories you can eat for each meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks) and mix and match. This will ensure that you're eating well but then you don't have to get bogged down with the responsibility of counting everything you eat.

You can do this!!! Keep wedding photos in your mind to help motivate! :flowerforyou:
  • CanDBlack
    CanDBlack Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello and Welcome! I too am on a mission to lose 20-30lbs before my June 30th wedding. I've been using MFP for a few months but really got serious in the last two months. I weighed in today and I am down a little under 10lbs! I've switched over to water completely (not including my two glass of wine allotment each weekend), count calories, eat more veggies and fruit, no fast food, and work out 3-4 days weekly doing Jillian Michaels, either 30 day shred or ripped in 30 (they were both about $8 on amazon). I love my workouts because they are intense and only consume 20-35 minutes of my day. You can definitely lose the weight naturally, and I would encourage you to go this route as opposed to pills, drinks, shakes, shots, etc., as those results will only be temporary, if at all. Good luck on your journey!
  • bwehr316
    bwehr316 Posts: 14
    Options
    hey girl... i started MFP on 3/11/12 and i have tracked everything i've eaten and have stayed under or right at my calorie allowance and I've lost 5 lbs as of today 3/21/12. IM also getting married this year on 9/29/12 and i've already gotten my dress and it fits but im hoping to lose some weight so that they have to take it in or order me a diffrent size. AS far as the slim fast I am actually drinking a slim fast for breakfast so that i get some vitamins and protein in that i don't know if i would get from the foods i eat but anyways it makes me feel full for several hours and they don't taste bad i love the chocolate ones. I've also given up diet sodas for lent so im drinking strictly water and i think that is helping me!
    Congrats on the wedding I know how stressful planning a wedding can be and that doesn't help with weight loss... I wish you the best and i know you can do this!