Replies

• hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I do make these sloppy lentils pretty frequently in the crock pot...they are easy and absolutely delicious over a piece of Ezekiel bread with some cheese. Oh, also there is a really good vegan cookbook you can download for free if you have a Kindle.

1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
    1 small red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
    One 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
    3 cups water
    2 tablespoons tamari or other soy sauce
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar or a natural sweetener
    1 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Heata medium-sized non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, cover, and cook until softened, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, stirring to coat.

Transfer the onion mixture to a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Add the lentils, tomatoes, water, tamari, mustard, brown sugar, salt, and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.

Serves: 4 to 6
  • motoxmom1
    motoxmom1 Posts: 85
    Options
    Are you going straight vegetarian or lacto-ovo vegetarian? If you can have the eggs, this recipe is a regular at our house. The recipe calls for two eggs per person but I stack my tortillas and just have one egg on top which takes the calorie count down to below 400 per serving. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/huevos-rancheros-recipe
  • cassie1644
    Options
    How do you bump things?
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • redwoodbsq1
    redwoodbsq1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I am being challenged by a friend of mine to become a vegetarian starting march 1 for the rest of the year. I have done alot of research and I think its also very health beneficiary. I need some recipes to try and have so do you have any??

Leave your favorite recipes so I can try them :)

Welcome to the club!! :) I recommend buying a lot of frozen veggies, they're CHEAP, won't go bad, and will help with any meal you make.

As for dishes, our #1 is random veggie stirfry. They make 'soup starters' or even 'stir fry starters' in the frozen section next to the frozen veggies.

Also, Indian food is traditionally veggie. Many many Asian dishes, such as pad thai are all either veggie or can have tofu substituted in.

Pierogies are a FAVORITE in my house! Mrs T's are sooo yummy! They're hard to spot, look for blue packaging in the freezer section. (Pierogies are a traditional polish dish; basically mashed potatoes in a pastry type shell) Best pan fried but you can boil them too.

http://www.pierogies.com/retail/

Amy's makes a great line of vegan 'tv dinner' type of foods. Those are Vegan! I take this for my lunch if I'm out of leftovers.

http://www.amys.com/

Other than that, I'd suggest Whole Foods. We found so many veggie friendly options there I doubt you could go wrong!

Also, as a "HOLY crap I'm hungry and all I have is FAST FOOD what the hell can I eat?" #1 Taco Bell bean burritos, fast and cheap. #2 Burger King has a $1 salad. #3 Veggie Delight at Subway (just ignore the cookies at the checkout!)

Hope this helps! Vegetarian is easy as long as you expect it to be. :) Someone will say "oh well your just going to CRAVE meat" or "that's unhealthy to not eat meat"..... just be ready for it and be your own person.