help with calories w/o upping carbs

Hi all...I am rather new to this but certainly benefiting from MFP (10 pounds so far but sitting at a lovely little plateau for the last few weeks). I have PCOS and probably also have insulin resistance, so I'm finding it very tricky to get enough calories in on any given day without totally blowing my carbs up. I feel like I eat entirely too much dairy (low-fat cheese sticks, Babybel, yogurt, etc.) just to have higher protein/lower carbs. My doctor says to try to limit carbs to 30/meal, which I find hard enough. If I have to eat close to my 1470 calorie guide, I find it about impossible w/o adding in carbs...I just can't eat that much lean protein in a day to get enough calories. I read about people eating all their calories and still losing, and those eating their exercise calories back, and I can't imagine how I can do that w/o adding carbs for the calories.

For the record, I am NOT doing a no-carb diet....tons of veggies and some fruits every day, and occasional days of indulgence with a McDonald's ice cream cone or Chipotle burrito bowl :-) I have easily all but eliminated breads and processed carbs like chips, etc. I don't miss them at all and still have them when I need to :-)

I just would love to hear what works for others with the same metabolic responses :-) Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Replies