just wondering

Options
i was just wondering does doing crunches burn calories? because when i put in my exercise log that i did them it doesn't say anything. also when i walk most of the walk is flat 3.0 pace, but i do go up a pretty big hill that by the time i reach the top i'm panting and out of breathe then i go down the other side. there is no way to put in that i went uphill though in the diary but wouldn't that change my cals. burned compared to what it says for just walking at 3.0mph? hopefully you understand what i'm saying!

Replies

• wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i was just wondering does doing crunches burn calories? because when i put in my exercise log that i did them it doesn't say anything. also when i walk most of the walk is flat 3.0 pace, but i do go up a pretty big hill that by the time i reach the top i'm panting and out of breathe then i go down the other side. there is no way to put in that i went uphill though in the diary but wouldn't that change my cals. burned compared to what it says for just walking at 3.0mph? hopefully you understand what i'm saying!
  • Beccilynn
    Beccilynn Posts: 177
    Options
    You know what , You are right about that ! I just started yesterday and I didnt pay that close attention to my totals , but I notice now since your question got me wondering , I have nothing for my situps either :sad:

so I guess I would like to know the answer to this as well

thanks !
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Crunches or sit-ups won't burn a lot of calories. It's great for toning your muscles, but it won't do well for burning calories.

I checked caloriesperhour.com and for someone who weighs 139 pounds, 10 minutes of sit-ups burns about 84 calories.

This website also says that walking uphill at 3.5 burns about 441 calories in one hour.

Check out the site:
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • Beccilynn
    Options
    thanks!!
  • Vertu
    Vertu Posts: 13
    Options
    It's true, sit ups don't burn a significant amount of calories.

But it's important to remember it increases your muscle tone, and the more muscle your body has the more calories you burn when just in a resting state (as it increases your metabolism)
    It also makes you stronger when doing other excercises (i.e running) this added support will help to take some of the pain out of those lengthy cardio sessions.

So still worth keeping up.

High Cardio is the best activity for fast fat burning however. My main two are Spinning and running, but I also do some cardio classes at my gym.

Keep up the good work honey!

Vertu
  • Beccilynn
    Options
    ps What a great website !!! I have another new obsession ! LOL:ohwell:
  • wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    thanks! can anybody help with the walking?