Zuccini

Options
bwilton77
bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
I was wondering if anyone had any good zuccini recipes. I hve 2 large zuccini that a friend gave me and I would like to use tham. I used one in a pork chop smothered in salsa recipe the other night that was delish! I was hoping some of you had some good ones I could try.
Thanks.

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I like slicing it in long strips along with onion, I like lots of onion - toss in a bowl with garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil - about a tablespoon 'ish....

roast in oven 425 til done to your liking - I cook it til soft so the onions are cooked good too.

So GOOD
  • Charmie
    Charmie Posts: 1
    Options
    I sautee them in chicken broth, with tomatoes and a dash of lemon juice.
  • shaleah77
    shaleah77 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm fairly 'plain jane' when it comes to zucchini. I usually just slice it thick. Steam it, add a touch of butter, salt and when it starts to become translucent I removed it from the heat and squeeze some lemon juice over. I could eat it 7 days a week! I :heart: zucchini!
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend made some last weekend and it was delicious. She sliced the zucchini in half and then cut it lengthwise. PLace it on a cookie sheet, skin side down. Spray with butter spray...any kind. Dice a Vidalia onion and sprinkle over top. Spray again with butter and then use Lawry's Garlic SALT (not powder) to season. Broil until it softens and begins to brown. It was so yummmy! Enjoy!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I slice it and spray some olive oil pam on it, maybe a sprinkle of curry or just plain s/p, and GRILL it for 20 minutes....
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I cut mine in half lengthwise, put some tomato sauce over the top , then sprinkle with mozz cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 for 20mins. YUM!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just cut the zucchinni in round pieces put a lil tony chacheres on it and put it in a Ziploc Steam Fresh bag and stick in the microwave for 3 mins. very yummy
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I boil chicken breast (add seasoning while boiling!). Cut zucchini into THICK slices, place in glass baking dish. Pour large can of diced tomatos over zucchini, slice and place chicken over/into tomatos, add seasonings, mushrooms, green peppers, or anything else you would like, top with mozz cheese, bake until hot. yummmmmmm
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Zucchini-

Cut in half lengthwise
    Scoop out the zucchini(leave the shell)
    Spray a pan with Pam - sautee the zucchini with some ground turkey, mushrooms, onions, garlic, (whatever you like)
    Stuff zucchini, sprinkle with some parm cheese or low fat mozz.
    Bake - YUM :)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I love zucchini! Quick & easy (& sooooo yummy)

slice in med thick circles, spray a flat pan with olive oil pam (you can use reg pam but olive oil one is better - or you can "grease" the pan the old fashion way with just a little olive oil), lightly salt with sea salt (or whatever), stick in 350-400 oven for about 20 minutes until the sides start turning brown & a little crispy. OH MY MY MY!

Now I really LOVE topping mine with a low fat crab dip. I found one at ehow that I modified to equal around 14 cals. I posted it on my blog.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fit4vet

gotta love such a simple tasty & flavorful veggie!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    This has become a favorite in my house. I vary it, sometimes using zucchini, squash, or even eggplant. I 1/2 the cheese but use Sharp chedder. Sometimes I'll leave out the rice depending of what the rest of meal looks like.

1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice
    2/3 cup water
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cubed
    1 cup sliced green onions
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes
    2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided

DIRECTIONS
    Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
    Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini, green onions, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano. Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1 cup cheese. Continue to cook and stir until heated through. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
    Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Enjoy.
  • Mercede
    Mercede Posts: 21
    Options
    I cut it up in small pieces and saute it with corn and onions. Use just a little bit of smart balance butter spread or olive oil to saute it in.
  • halfacerk
    halfacerk Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm fairly 'plain jane' when it comes to zucchini. I usually just slice it thick. Steam it, add a touch of butter, salt and when it starts to become translucent I removed it from the heat and squeeze some lemon juice over. I could eat it 7 days a week! I :heart: zucchini!

mmmm me to minus the butter i mix it with carrrots and brocchli yummy my fav lunch or side dish wirh dinner
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone had any good zuccini recipes. I hve 2 large zuccini that a friend gave me and I would like to use tham. I used one in a pork chop smothered in salsa recipe the other night that was delish! I was hoping some of you had some good ones I could try.
    Thanks.

Cool Zucchini Slaw

Makes 6 servings

ACTIVE TIME: 15 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1 1/2 pounds zucchini (3 medium), grated
    1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, very thinly sliced
    1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
    1 small red bell pepper, diced
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Place zucchini and onion in a colander set over a bowl. Add salt and toss to coat. Let drain at room temperature for 30 minutes. Rinse vegetables and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.
    2. Transfer vegetables to a medium bowl. Add bell pepper, vinegar, apple juice concentrate and basil; toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 31 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 542 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
    Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (100% dv), Vitamin A (30% dv).
    1 Carbohydrate Serving
    Exchanges: 1 vegetable
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just like to steam it and sprinkle on some sea salt and eat it. Yummy!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    My favorite... zucchini bread :love:
    This is a standard recipe, and not a particularly healthy version, but if you wanted to you could make some substitutions. I usually use wheat flour instead of regular, splenda instead of sugar, and cinnamon apple sauce instead of vegetable oil.

* 3 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    * 3 eggs
    * 1 cup vegetable oil
    * 2 1/4 cups white sugar
    * 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 2 cups grated zucchini
    * 1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
    3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
    4. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.
  • kolney
    kolney Posts: 93
    Options
    This is my favorite but it's not super healthy either.

Slice it thin, pat with bread crumbs and pan fry in a little olive oil. Soooo good.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    hey these are all great recipes. i used to just eat it fried and i have 8 medium size ones now i know how to eat them without frying them i like i used too.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Zucchini hummus!

1 zucchini, chopped into small pieces (RAW)
    1/3 c. tahini
    1 tsp kosher or sea salt
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic mashed
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    a dash of fresh ground pepper

Mix above in food processor. Let chill overnight and it will have a nice creamy consistency. An awesome way to use zucchini!