Question about Exercise Log! Help Please!

Options
Hey everyone I'm a newbie to the website and just have a quick question!

I work at a hospital and for a good 3-4 hours of my shift (some days longer) I am walking and rushing around. When I have used a pedometer I have been racking up between 20-25,000 step in one shift at work. I often notice I have an increased heart rate and also get quite warm while doing the active part of my job.

Should I log this as exercise or leave it off?

What do you guys think? Or What would you do?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I would say to not log them as long as your have your goals set correctly saying that you are active daily. It should work out.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It depends. How did you set your activity level when you set up your account. If you set it as sedentary, then you need to log this as exercise. If you set your activity level as moderately active, then it is already accounted for and you don't need to log it as exercise.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    When you set up your profile, you should have used active for your lifestyle...did you do that?
  • bllckbunch
    bllckbunch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would definitely count it!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    set your activity level to light active or active, this will give you more cals and how it should be accounted for.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would not log them. I have two very active toddlers and even though I work up a sweat running around and playing with them I dont log it because its a part of my everyday life
  • ruthechesney
    ruthechesney Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When you set up your profile, you should have used active for your lifestyle...did you do that?

I agree with the above. I would set my lifestyle as active and not log the steps as exercise.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital. What I did was get a fitbit and let it calculate and correct. Well worth the investment for me. (bought hardware, no subscription required) It dumps the data into MFP and saves me a lot of figuring. (it logs stairs going up as well. Have tried and cannot fool it with an elevator.)

I understand, one day last week I logged over 4000 steps. Helps me get a good grasp on what is going on. So if I suddenly have less of a drop, I can see, oh, only 2500 step average last week.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My sister has a similar job as you. She doesn't exercise, but she set her activity level at sedentary. As a result, she hasn't been eating enough and admitted to me the other day that it might be causing her plateau. Of course, I didn't say I told you so. :)

I would recommend changing your activity level to 'highly active.' Or you can purchase the FitBit. It is a pedometer that calculates your steps and calories burned and automatically updates them to the site. However, if you use the FitBit and you are not obese, you will either want to eat at maintenance or eat back what you burn.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am similarly active at certain parts of my day, and I have experimented with setting my lifestyle as sedentary and counting all activity and then setting it as moderate and not counting the walking around bits at exercise. For me, the second option has worked out better (you might consider setting yourself as active). Try experimenting with both. You might find that knowing precisely how many calories you burn while walking around helps you stay more accountable, or that rolling it in to your lifestyle level makes for less logging work for you and still promotes weight loss. See what works for you!
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Totally agree
    And then, do not log it as it's already being considered in your lifestyle :)
  • BexxaJane
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!
    I already had my account set to active so I won't need to change that!

Thanks for the help!