Does anyone else do this?

Options
I just started MFP and I think it might be becoming an obsession. Usually, while I'm eating breakfast I fill in all my meals for the rest of the day. One advantage is that I know in advance if I can have dessert! lol

So what do you think? Obsessive or smart?

Replies

• mylittleme
    Options
    The main thing is that I refuse to make two different dinners every night and my husband and one of my kids are under weight (rolleyes) and my other kid is pretty close. They're all healthy, it's just their body type, but I don't want to do anything that would make them skinnier. Just normal, natural, healthy food. But sometimes it's usually higher in fat than the diet options.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    definitely smart!
  • CrysAnn777
    CrysAnn777 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as obsessed,i think of it as determined. If your worried about your families weight getting low give them high calorie snacks like peanut butter, fruit juice, milk, cheese and things like that, those should make up for the low calorie meals you make. Thats what I've been doing with my son. hope that helps.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I log everything by lunch. That way I know how many calories I need to burn at the gym to be able to eat what I want for dinner. Then after I shower after I get home from the gym, I log dinner so I know the actual portion sizes I can have. Plus then I'll know if I can have ice cream for dessert! That's the most important part to me. LOL
  • MaryBricker
    MaryBricker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do this almost everyday :) It just helps me plan for the day. You are not alone!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then it's a good thing. I have to make a plan for the day (and for the week) in order to stay on track. And I love tracking in advance so I know exactly what I am doing. This week is an exception, but it is not uncommon for me to track everything for a week at a time.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP and I think it might be becoming an obsession. Usually, while I'm eating breakfast I fill in all my meals for the rest of the day. One advantage is that I know in advance if I can have dessert! lol

So what do you think? Obsessive or smart?

Thats smart. Some people don't plan to fail. They just fail to plan. People who plan, reach their goals. And if your day doesn't exactly happen how you plan. You can always revise your diary. Good Job :smile:
  • moamom1
    moamom1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I plan all meals and snacks for the day. Then if there were any changes I do that at night. On work days (11 hour shifts) it is so much easyer to do it that way.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i do this too, it helps me keep focused.. and i get to plan out dinner early instead of last minute..

i'm a night eater, so it also lets me see how many calories i have in case i want to snack before bed...
    (i'm trying to cut down on my night snacking.. its a weakness)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I log a week in advance, no biggie!

I buy groceries weekly (and awesomely can't spend over $150 a month - I've tried and I just can't even when $40 of that id diet pepsi for DH. I'm just that much of a deal hunter/flyer matcher to save time/money) so I know what I have for the week and love logging it in during the evening s in front of the TV to avoid snacking or on my train ride to work. I love lists! Insert nerd emoticon here ;)
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea as long as you edit where necessary!
  • mylittleme
    Options

i'm a night eater, so it also lets me see how many calories i have in case i want to snack before bed...
    (i'm trying to cut down on my night snacking.. its a weakness)

I do that too! It's been the hardest thing to change!
  • WeightWatchen
    Options
    I eat, then log. Otherwise I won't! And I have such a bad memory, I'll forget what I ate for breakfast by the time dinner rolls around. So definitely smart! It keeps you motivated and it helps you control the urge to binge.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea. I usually put in up to dinner time and then edit during the day if needed. I'm not always the maker of dinner so I don't log that far until I actually know what we're having.
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You know they say to create a meal plan before you go grocery shopping so you don't buy anything that may go to waste. Well i do that but i meal plan using MFP then i grocery shop
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I usually plan my day the night before... then I know what to pack for lunch and snacks at work and I can see how the day is balancing out. If I'm not sure what we're having for dinner (usually means my husband is cooking!) I'll just add in 500 or so quick add cals so I can see how the whole day is looking.
    I really like doing it this way because if something comes up (like birthday cake at work!) I have a good idea of how my day is looking and how this treat will fit into my day.
  • jocelyn_martin
    Options
    Well if you're obsessed then I'm obsessed too. Really though, don't think of it as an obsession, think of it as being proactive. I like to plan my meals so that I can say within 300 calories per main meal and have 3 snacks totally 500 calories throughout the day for a total of 1400 calories. Planning out your meals, the day or even a week in advance helps you to stick to your meals and also determine whether or not you are balancing food groups properly. I say keep it up! So far it's worked well for me and I've only been her for about 10 days. Already dropped 2.9lbs since last week all because I know exactly what I'm going to eat, when and how much. :)
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm a little obsessed.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I eat then log. But M-F my Breakfast lunch and snacks are about the same. Dinner is the variable. I do my workouts first thing in the morning so I know how many total calories I have for the day and that will impact dinner choices. There are some days when I know I am eating out for dinner. (my daughter has therapy every Thursday at either 4 or 5 pm) so I factor that into my plans.
  • mylittleme
    Options
    It's so inspiring to see how well logging ahead is working for so many of you! It makes me feel like I'm doing it right :D