Does anyone do "Freezer Meals"?

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I keep seeing a lot of people making dozens of meals in freezer bags for future grab n go convenience. I really want to do this, but haven't found any good websites with recipes and step by step instructions.

Anyone have a good link?

Replies

• jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I do this. On the weekends I usually make 2-3 crockpot meals and put them in individual containers. Some go in the fridge for consumption that week and the others go in the freezer for later. Not sure how much I'll continue that through the summer though.....I like fresher stuff (salads, grilled chicken, etc) during summer.

Google "once a month cooking" for some ideas.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do this on Sundays. Lately it's been with soups, chili, lentils. Make a huge pot and freeze 2 or 3 servings of it.

Cook up a bunch of chicken and freeze individual servings.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't freeze them but I always make extra dinner, and put the left overs in single serving Tupperware for work lunches.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I make a ton of bland chicken in the crock pot. Shred some, cube some... that way I can season it however I want to for dinners.

Pinterest has a BUNCH of ideas for freezer to crockpot meals :)
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I cut up vegy's (mostly the red, yellow & orange sweet peppers w/ onions) and FoodSaver it for later stir fry. I also will bake one or two whole chickens (way cheap!) then will keep one for a weeks worth of meals, and FS the other one. So they aren't really "meals" but fast fixin's! I find if I make a big dish of something, it usually doesn't get put into smaller sizes! :-/
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've been collecting a bunch of sites for freezer meals.
    Of course, I'm still waiting until I get my deep freeze so that I have more space, but it's good to be prepared, right?

http://chasingsupermom.com/2012/02/6-freezer-meals-in-2-hours/
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/fresh-food-friday-20-tried-and-true.html
    http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2012/03/overnight-maple-brown-sugar-oatmeal.html
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.ca/2011/11/slow-cooker-marinara-515-recipe-040.html

You can basically freeze anything into decent portion sizes to be re-heated.
    I'm also planning on doing my chili, scalloped potatoes, mashed potato casserole, turkey burgers, chicken meat balls, and homemade bread, too.

Already have "pucks" of pureed veggies (juiced and poured into muffin tins) to blend into my smoothies, various fruits and vegetables I couldn't eat fast enough, and a delicious edamame/chicken breast/red pepper/piri piri sauce/ brown rice concoction.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I've been collecting Cooking Light magazine recipes. They are generally 4 or more servings each, and I only need to feed 2. The others will be packaged up and frozen to eat later. I used to do this all the time. I really need to get back into the habit... (Cooking light is a surprisingly good read, for a cooking magazine!)
  • tina01tn
    tina01tn Posts: 12
    Options
    I keep seeing a lot of people making dozens of meals in freezer bags for future grab n go convenience. I really want to do this, but haven't found any good websites with recipes and step by step instructions.

Anyone have a good link?

Thank you for asking this! I have been wondering the same thing. It would be so much easier for me to do this. Great idea!! :)
  • Glamour60Xtreme
    Options
    bump :)
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Dashing Dish and skinnytaste both have healthy ideas. You can always double up the amounts for larger batches. Crockingirls has lots of crockpot ideas, though they aren't necessarily low calorie/low fat.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I freeze leftovers from dinner almost daily! Makes for really easy lunches that are super easy to track, grab, and go.
  • shalvors
    shalvors Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've done this, with family meals though, not necessarily healthy meals geared towards me. However it makes it easier for me, I can make the freezer meal for them and whatever for myself. I used www.onceamonthmom.com her site is awesome, it has meal plans for lots of different people (diet/veg/gluten free/ etc.) and it's all downloadable in google docs so you can cater it to the # of people you're cooking for.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I half way do this. I will brown off a large batch of ground meat and then divide it into freezer bags. That way I can quickly make spaghetti or tacos or sloppy joes when I need to. It also works great on vacation. We tend to rent condos, which come with kitchens. I don't want to spend a whole lot of time cooking on vacation, so I brown off the meat, freeze it and then pack in cooler with lots of ice. Saves lots of money on food budget for vacations.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I need to find a way to do this and trick my husband into thinking he's not eating leftovers because I hate cooking and he hates leftovers, so if I am eating leftovers he'll usually eat junk.
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    onceamonthmom.com
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Bump!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've done this, with family meals though, not necessarily healthy meals geared towards me. However it makes it easier for me, I can make the freezer meal for them and whatever for myself. I used www.onceamonthmom.com her site is awesome, it has meal plans for lots of different people (diet/veg/gluten free/ etc.) and it's all downloadable in google docs so you can cater it to the # of people you're cooking for.

Holy Crap - Amazing Website!
  • lynzinnc
    lynzinnc Posts: 44
    Options
    bump