How much protein is too much protein??

Options
I haven't changed my MFP food diary from what MFP suggests my protein intake should be at when consuming 1200 calories a day. However, ever since I started drinking a protein shake after my workouts or for breakfast in the AM, I almost ALWAYS go over my protein intake for the day. Is this a bad thing? I've only been doing protein shakes for about a week now so I'm not sure if I have been taking too much in or not since I haven't checked the scale. But does anyone have any suggestions as to how much is too much? I limit myself to only one shake a day but my dinners usually consist of vegetables, a salad and some kind of meat. Any advice would be much appreciated since I am not so sure how protein affect your diet. Thanks in advance and feel free too add me! I am always looking for new motivators :)

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm under the impression protein shouldn't exceed 30 or 40% of your calories.
    I'm sure someone wiser has a better answer.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    when you start getting sick, because you are too full.... seriously. I try to keep mine around a gram of protein per a pound of my body weight, i.e. 130 grams.
  • alix1105
    alix1105 Posts: 80
    Options
    May I ask how you got this impression?? Just curious :) I am just wondering what I should be looking for.. I know that everyones body is different and different things work for different people. But I just have no idea how protein effects the body.. i definitely need to do some research lol but I thought i'd ask for some advice first :)
  • jennibell81
    Options
    BUMP! Was just thinking that myself....
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    It depends what your goals are. Is there a such thing as "too much" protein? Probably. Are you going to OD with an extra shake a day? No.

If you are trying to build muscle/lose fat - I would say your protein should be ~40%

I keep my macros at 40/40/20 (protein/fat/carbs)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed my MFP food diary from what MFP suggests my protein intake should be at when consuming 1200 calories a day. However, ever since I started drinking a protein shake after my workouts or for breakfast in the AM, I almost ALWAYS go over my protein intake for the day. Is this a bad thing? I've only been doing protein shakes for about a week now so I'm not sure if I have been taking too much in or not since I haven't checked the scale. But does anyone have any suggestions as to how much is too much? I limit myself to only one shake a day but my dinners usually consist of vegetables, a salad and some kind of meat. Any advice would be much appreciated since I am not so sure how protein affect your diet. Thanks in advance and feel free too add me! I am always looking for new motivators :)

If you are eating extra protein you are either going over your calorie intake, or you are staying under your calorie intake but you are eating less fat or less carbs. Therefore,

If the following happens:

1) Your protein consumption brings you over your calorie intake.
    2) Your protein consumption pushes your fat consumption below a safe minimum.
    3) Your reduced carbohydrate consumption causes you to have performance issues in the gym.

Then I'd suggest that you might be eating too much protein.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    1 to 1.5g of protein per pound of lean body mass is ideal. You would be hard pressed to eat in excess of this amount. It will help you retain your muscle, when coupled with exercise.
  • alix1105
    Options
    It depends what your goals are. Is there a such thing as "too much" protein? Probably. Are you going to OD with an extra shake a day? No.

If you are trying to build muscle/lose fat - I would say your protein should be ~40%

haha I hope I don't OD! I love my protein shakes! sometimes I even wanna have more then one to replace a meal! But I never do because I'm scared I will have toooooo much protein! lol
  • killagb
    Options

haha I hope I don't OD! I love my protein shakes! sometimes I even wanna have more then one to replace a meal! But I never do because I'm scared I will have toooooo much protein! lol
    You'll be so full you could puke before you eat what is considered "too much". Don't sweat it. I'd personally eat my meals versus drinking them though, unless you're having a hard time getting all your calories in.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I first heard about excess protein intake on QI (british show) when people subsisted on eating rabbits and starved to death.

Anyways here is a link to an article which says 35%
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921
  • alix1105
    Options

You'll be so full you could puke before you eat what is considered "too much". Don't sweat it. I'd personally eat my meals versus drinking them though, unless you're having a hard time getting all your calories in.

Yea I hear you. I normally drink a protein shake for breakfast in the AM. But what I mean when i say sometimes I want another one is because I usually work out late at night or when I get off work. I like having the protein shake for breakfast because it keeps me nice and full and energized for the good part of the morning at work. But usually I want another one after my workout at night. But i think that might be too much to have two in one day... any thoughts?? maybe I should just start doing half a scoop in the AM and half after a workout... but I feel like that won't keep me full enough in the AM :(
  • killagb
    Options

Yea I hear you. I normally drink a protein shake for breakfast in the AM. But what I mean when i say sometimes I want another one is because I usually work out late at night or when I get off work. I like having the protein shake for breakfast because it keeps me nice and full and energized for the good part of the morning at work. But usually I want another one after my workout at night. But i think that might be too much to have two in one day... any thoughts?? maybe I should just start doing half a scoop in the AM and half after a workout... but I feel like that won't keep me full enough in the AM :(
    Real food protein is going to keep you more full for longer. Whey protein is designed to be a quicker digesting protein, therefore it's not going to keep you full as long as other proteins. Another way to bump up the protein in your shakes is to add in a Greek yogurt, or some cow's milk. Don't lean too hard on whey to keep you full, just use it to meet your protein targets when necessary, rather than a majority of your protein. Stick to the food sources is my advice. Feel free to check out my diary for protein ideas, as I eat my body weight and then some most days, in grams of protein.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You can't technically OD on protein however to much can damage your liver. Years ago I had a life insurance physical and found the company would not grant me life insurance and recommended I see my physician. Obviously my wife and I were worried, after some tests my physician found my liver was leaking protein.

During that time of my life I wasn't responsible with protein...

The human body can only metabolize 50 grams of protein per meal. Any more than that you CAN not necessarily WILL damage your liver during prolonged usage.

If you are counting calories strictly I suggest using Syntax Nectar proteins. They are 25g of protein per serving with 0 carbs, 0 sugar, and 0 fat with only 90 calories per serving. Syntax makes different flavors such as Apple, Lemonade, Strawberry, and others. I have to say they all taste like either apple juice, orange juice, lemonade, strawberry juice, and etc.

Protein that has a casein is PERFECT to consume before bed. Whey protein isolate is perfect to take 15 - 30 minutes prior to workout and BEFORE 30 minutes has expired after your workout.