What exercises do I need to do to get great Abs?

Options
What does everyone do to get great abs? Lately I have been seeing a lot of before and after posts of women with great abs who say they are lifting heavy to get those. Any suggestions would be a big help. Now that I have lost some weight I'd like to start toning and gaining some muscle as the rest of the pounds come off.

Replies

• Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would say of course crunches, there is one that my trainer does with me, lay flat with your stomach pressed to the floor, lift your feet up and dwn but DO NOT LIFT YOUR BACK FROM THE GROUND. Use your ab muscle's to lift...:wink:
  • leahmac98
    Options
    I'm doing Pilates. Lots of great exercises for toning the abs. I use the "Ten Minute Solution"Pilates DVD. It has a whole section just for abs. It's killer! But it's helping!
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Its called the table pushback...abs are made in the kitchen. At least thats what I have always been told. Everyone has abs, you just have to shed the bodyfat for them to be visible.
    That being said, a mixture of strength training and cardio are great ways to burn fat :)
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    Remember that creating great abs start in the kitchen. You can exercise them as much as you like, if your fat percentage is to high, they will not be visible.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    you will find a lot of threads on this subject.....best one to use is the ...top military workouts...great ab workouts and they develop great ones
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    I have great abs, they are just covered in fat at this point. ;)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    dead lifts, squats, and barbell rows. they will engage your core. After a good heavy set of dead lifts my abs feel like I have done 100 sit ups.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    heavy squats
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! Eat clean, watch your sugar intake, and lift heavy!

9905352_9575.jpg
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ALL OF THEM
  • hellolouisey
    Options
    I have great abs, they are just covered in fat at this point. ;)

Tee hee, I'm trying to find mine too, I know they're in there somewhere!
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    Prepping and chopping! I agree with all the above posters it really comes down to your diet. i have great abs as well under my layer of fat I am trying to get rid.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    I still have my winter abs.. Trying to find my summer abs..
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up yet, but maybe it is just genetic...
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I still have my winter abs.. Trying to find my summer abs..

brilliant!!:laugh:
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! Eat clean, watch your sugar intake, and lift heavy!

9905352_9575.jpg

Reducing body fat is a huge part of it.
  • sara1923
    sara1923 Posts: 53
    Options
    there was actually a study done on this.. granted there may be a study that disproves this in a couple months but sorry for those of you who love your crunches.. they fall pretty low on the list. http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/BestWorstAbExercises.pdf
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

9905352_9575.jpg

Reducing body fat is a huge part of it.

I would say about 99%
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I keep all of your suggestions in mind. I really want to start incorporating some heavy strength training into my cardio routine because frankly I am getting bored and want to build muscle. I am weight shopping this weekend and will be sure to pick up those heavier weights I have been scared of! (I've only been lifting 2 pounders)