Protein Powder Suggestions

Options
jbuffan218
jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
I get far too little protein in my diet and would like suggestions on a flavorful protein powder.
Something I could add to a smoothie that would boost my protein intake.
Brand names would be helpful, the choices are overwhelming and that stuff is expensive.
Dont want to be stuck with a huge vat of something that taste like chalk.
Thanks for your help.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm using WHEY Protein in Vanilla, and Sunday I bought it in Strawberry. The brand is Body Fortress, I believe I have the 32 oz ones and they cost me about $14.99 each at Walmart. I don't think they taste chalky at all! I use one scoop in my smoothies and it's just right!
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard. This is isolate and not concentrate....so it is a tad more expensive but well worth it. I love the Vanilla Ice Cream with low-fat milk + frozen blueberries + half a banana in a small personal blender. They have other flavors but this is by far IMHO the best tasting!!! Best of luck!!
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I bought vanilla EAS 100% Whey from Target for $19.99 a couple weeks ago on the recommendation of another member. I liked it so much I went out and bought the chocolate as well last weekend. Both are awesome. They are like drinking milkshakes. Last night I made some banana "ice cream" and put a scoop of the chocolate in and it was yummy! I'm looking forward to trying the vanilla with different types of berries mixed in as well.
  • cvricks
    cvricks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I buy Matrix by Sytrax...I love the strawberry cream (however they have many different flavors)....I mix 1 scoop with 6 to 8 oz water..shake it up and use it as my fuel source before I workout. I will also throw it in the blender with 6oz water and a frozen bananna for a smoothie

Again it is not one of the cheaper ones....it is about $50.00 for a 5 lb bag....a bag lasts me at least 6 months and I drink it almost every day. I buy mine at Max Fit.

Hope this helps!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Natural is one of the best you can get...followed closely by the Gold Standard, which has lots more flavors. They manufacture in the US and it's a lot more stringent guidelines they have to follow.
  • Marlamcarter
    Options
    We use the EAS chocolate one in our shakes. Add some soy milk, banana and PB2 (peanut butter powder-taste without the fat) It is delicious! Will keep you full for hours!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk brands taste like a milkshake when mixed with fat free milk and crushed ice and your blender.

Syntax Nectar flavors Apple, Orange, Lemonade, Strawberry, and etc. taste like juice. Its the only good tasting one I could find that mixes well (no chalk) just by shaking it.
  • jennifer127
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks for info!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Love the ON (optimum nutrition) brand. They taste great. They are a bit more expensive.

Also, have you tried just using greek yogurt (plain)
  • lthomas2541
    Options
    I use Advocare chocolate meal replacement. Each pack has 220 calories and 24 grams of protein. Tastes much better than others that I have tried. You can find it on their website or Amazon...
  • TotalBodyCoach
    Options
    My first choice is Chocolate Shakeology... LOVE IT! My second choice is Beverly International Chocolate or Vanilla.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I get far too little protein in my diet and would like suggestions on a flavorful protein powder.
    Something I could add to a smoothie that would boost my protein intake.
    Brand names would be helpful, the choices are overwhelming and that stuff is expensive.
    Dont want to be stuck with a huge vat of something that taste like chalk.
    Thanks for your help.

What I've actually tried that is good.

- Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey - Jamocha / Cookies N Cream / Rocky Road
    - Gaspari Nutrition - Peanut Butter Chocolate / Cookies N Cream
    - MusclePharm Combat Powder - Cookies N Cream

What I just ordered and am about to try:
    TruTein - Cinnamon Roll

I've heard a ton of good things about that brand and flavor.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm using WHEY Protein in Vanilla, and Sunday I bought it in Strawberry. The brand is Body Fortress, I believe I have the 32 oz ones and they cost me about $14.99 each at Walmart. I don't think they taste chalky at all! I use one scoop in my smoothies and it's just right!
    ^^ This I use Body Fortress. It is affordable, I add it to my coffee in the morning to make a chocolatamonkey.... whatever, chocolate flavored coffee.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I used the MuscleTech Deluxe Chocolate and it's yummy, doesn't have that yucky protein taste! I got a 5 lb bag at SAMS club for about $50.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Myotein!
    Pricey, but worth it.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I get Muscle Tech Vanilla Whey Protein at Sam's Club. 5 lbs for $30 and it taste great. I like it because I have an allergy to Aspertame and most of the brands I used before had it in there. If you don't like the taste of the protein shake it's self blend it with fruit. I blend mine with low sugar fruits and spinach and carrots because otherwise I don't eat my veggies.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Costco...6lb bag for $40 and its by the same makers of muscle milk..I get vanilla because I can cook and add the vanilla powder into it if i want.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    Yup, I say Muscle Milk, as well. Tons of protein and pretty low in calories.
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use Arbonne Essentials. It is 160 calories (for vanilla, they do offer chocolate too but I think its a tad higher in calories) you can mix it with water & ice or add a few calories by mixing it with fruits, coconut milk, almond milk etc. It packs 20g of vegan (all plant based) protein! It's about $60 for a months supply
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Whey Protein, Natural Vanilla

2 scoops
    1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
    1 packet Truvia (optional)
    5 ice cubes

Blend.

GREAT TASTING CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE, 288 calories, 49 grams of protein!