Help me out! :)

Options
I know I haven't been doing as well on my dieting and exercising as I could be (and should be) but I feel like I have really lost almost all of my motivation to keep my weight loss going. I have hit a wall it seems in continuing to lose more weight. I hit 175 and can't seem to get down from there. Then I gained a pound, which I understand, its not about the # but it is to me to a certain extent. It was certainly discouraging. I changed my calorie intake to maintain for the time being because I have somewhat of an F-it attitude at the moment. If I can't lose weight, I might as well be able to eat more calories every day. Next week, I will go back to working on losing a pound a week per MFP calorie standards but for now, I feel things have been difficult and I might as well enjoy a couple hundred extra calories a day. Kind of a break from the tough diets we put ourselves through. I can't always make time to work out with a full time job and a part time job. Excuses, excuses, I know... but it isn't going to happen when I'm working both jobs in the same day. Hopefully this isn't too incoherent and rambling... but if anyone can help me or suggest something to try, I'd be willing to listen and certainly try to incorporate what works into my life so I can continue on my weight loss/health journey! :)

Replies

• Sweetums_pea
    Options
    Im sort of stuck in that Rutt as well. Im getting married in October and needing and wanting to lose weight before my big day. I have tried Atkins and actually lost 5lbs went to the dr for my regular check up and gained 1/2 lb and got really discouraged. So needless to say Im trying to count my calories to see if this is any better. I was 125 lbs when me and my fiance got together and have gained 59lbs which is just mind blowing........ Very DISGUSTED! I just cant seem to get motivated at all to lose this weight and you would think with my wedding coming up that would give me all the motivation I need but I cant seem to shake this. Im open to any ideas or suggestions on how to loose this weight. Just need some serious help... :explode:
  • tannerk8
    tannerk8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What helps me is I have started asking myself what I want more when I go to eat something I shouldn't. Do I want this bowl of ice cream?-- Yes, but I want to get skinny more than i want that ice cream.
    I am also training for a half marathon -- never in a million years would have thought I can do this - i have 3 young kids and work a full time and part time job- But the discipline and schedule are really helping.
    And finally- I have stopped making excuses. My New Years resolution was that this is the year of me- making healthy decisions that are good for me, my marriage, my kids, my health.... I want my skinny pre-baby body back. And now i am determined to work hard for it!
  • skinnyjeansdiva
    Options
    You have to hang in there, remember it's not a diet or a race this is for a healthier lifestyle, to look better, feel better and be healthy. once we see that, it's easier to take it one day at a time. you are doing great
  • diana_marie8302
    diana_marie8302 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not alone in this struggle. I've been overweight my entire life and haven't seen this weight since I was in high school (10 or 12 years ago). I can't believe how fat I thought I was then. I am happier with my size now, not entirely happy though. I' m not trying to make excuses because I really have been proud of myself with how much weight I've lost. Since October of 2010, it's been 40 pounds, 30 of those since joining MFP. But the past few weeks have really gotten me down because I can't seem to lose a single pound and don't feel my body toning up or slimming down. I'm just kind of stuck and I don't know what to do to get out of the rutt I have myself in. I've contemplated going to see my doctor but I'm not sure if he'd tell me anything other than continue dieting and exercising.
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try watching your sodium!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're just a little burned out. I've had several horrible days over the last month, and what ends up happening to get me back on track is I go ahead and log as much of what I ate as I can without throwing myself into a major depression.

What always gets me back on track is seeing the weight gain a week or so later, not on the scale, but I can see it on my body. Then, I'm back at it full guns because I do not like what I see.
  • PurpleGyrl13
    PurpleGyrl13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How about increasing your water intake?? And even the littlest things...(which I'm sure you've already heard these)....take stairs whenever possible; when going out, park in a parking spot farther away; even doing a few quick jumping jacks, situps, etc, at home.

But don't give up. It takes time. And it's not easy.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Well here are a couple of tips for you......#1 This is a lifestyle change not a diet #2 I have some walking dvds by Leslie Sansone that my daughter and I do at home (they are great dvds). They are walking/tonigh dvds and go from 1 mile up to 4 or 5miles so you can do it as long as you want in the time in between or after your jobs. Even if you park farther away from wherever you are entering your job at is a help. # 3 Take a 15-30 min walk on your lunch hour if it is convenient for you or if you have stairs where you work go up and down the flight of stairs for 1-20 minutes etc. Then you can do your regular workouts on the days you only go to one job. I hope this helps and please feel free to check out my profile and add me if you would like. My daughter is 24 and is on here too so I would love to help you too!!! Oh drink lots of water.

We can all do this!!!

Hugs
    Bev
  • zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel...i work two time and have have two kids,i'm counting my husband as well :)i hardly ever have the energy to workout once I get home and after I spend time with my daughter I am exhausted>I have 70 more pounds to lose,and i feel overwhemled everyday and have that same F it attitude.In the month of April me and my friends are doing the drop 10 challenge from self magazine...it is a 1500 calorie a day diet with three workout days a week that include cario and toning,you should check it out,and add me if you want...don't be discouraged,you just have to make this work for you,when your happy about this journey,it will work,good luck
  • kvsmith59
    kvsmith59 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    don't stop and don't allow yourself those "few extra hundred calories" a day. You'll regret it later on. Listen, I'm a lazy old man who never had a problem with being overweight until the last 5 years or so. I'm trying to lose 20 lbs and I have been going in spurts where I stick to MFP, lose some weight, then slack off, gain some back, and on and on. Decided yesterday that I would never reach my weight goal like this. Went out and bought the 30 day shred dvd. Yes, I know it's geared towards women, but it still kicked my butt because I'm so out of shape. Gonna do that for 30 days, then try (once again) to do a full round of P90X. My point is that just because you're kinda stuck at your current weight doesn't mean you should relapse completely. Eating a few extra hundred calories a day will eventually result in a 1000 extra a day. I have the same issue with smoking....I'll quit, then tell myself one smoke isn't going to hurt....that 1 turns into 2 and pretty quick I'm back to over a pack a day. You can do it. (sorry for the rambling post)
  • stephanieks1
    Options
    It is hard to find time to workout when working so much, but you are able to workout to a degree while getting ready or at work. If you sit a a chair get a stability disk to sit on so you are tightening your abs while you are at work and where ankle weights under your desk doing leg lifts. Do squats in the shower, park farther away...ext. There are many ways to incorperat workingout into your daily life. Also, if you find yourself want to eat things you maybe shouldn't or feel you don't have the "time" to eat healthy. Try freazer meals (you can find how to's online). I work out of town and am a single mother. I am VERY busy, but keep in mind what you want if you are doing it for you, you will fight for it. I find taking pictures of myself on my phone in a bra and underwear (of course locking it with a password so no one else can see lol) help keep me motivated. When I want that icecream sandwich and think those few extra caloriese wont hurt I have to look at that pic and remember why I am doing this for myself. I want to me happier for me. Do what you have to and remind yourself why you are doing it for you! Good luck!
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    hello - i totally hear you.

i have a full-time career, two children, a man, and a second gig on saturdays, on top of it all.
    my advice would include planning and multi-tasking, and also an examination of what you might be able to cut down or out of your diet <breads, starchy veggies, sugars, red meats>.

plan yr foods and shop & chop on sundays to get the foods you want ready, for at least until wed night <perishable fruits, etc.>
    and eat as much home cooked-prepared stuff as possible.

multi-task your commutes to your first and second jobs to include workouts - yes, workouts in the car, on the go.
    granted, not the same as hitting the gym running, but still, something is always better than nothing.

try these:
    for abs - http://www.truthaboutabs.com/flatten-stomach-exercise-trick.html
    general - http://www.symptomfind.com/healthy-living/exercises-while-driving-to-work/
    general - http://ezinearticles.com/?Get-Fit-While-Driving-Your-Car&id=333149

best regards.

=^x^=
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    I am a fitness buff, love to work out and inspire people thru their journeys. One thing I have learned is to NOT stress over it, as that will either cause you to eat more, sleep less or hold on to that unwanted weight that you don't want. Everyone at one point hits a plateau and thats when you need to trick your body and what I mean by that is, change up your routine. If you do the same thing day in and day out, then your body gets accustomed to it and things will not change. If you are a normal walker (fast mall walking pace, try jogging for 1-2 minutes at a time and get your heart rate up). If you normally don't lift weights, try adding that into your routine, as this will help with your toning. Try parking as far away from the door at the stores. Change your food habits, and as someone said before your sodium and sugar intake has a lot to do with water weight and not being able to loose that weight. You may be under your calorie goal, but if you are taking in to much fat and sugars, thats not healthy either. Remember that sugar turns into fat when not exercising. For every 8 oz of pop you drink you need to drink 16 oz of water to flush it out. Gaining 1/2 lbs or even a pound is not big deal, especially when you are a woman because that could be water weight (for that certain time of the month). Don't be discouraged or hard on yourself, it will happen just think of what you can do differently to make those changes. STAY POSITIVE!
  • kmg3475
    kmg3475 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would say make sure your calories are not empty calories. And I agree with the sodium post. Avoid packaged foods as much as possible!!