How many calories do you not mind leaving on your day?

Options
I know that MFP has a built in deficit everyday and I know that it adds the calories you burn. With that said I sometimes have close to 1000 calories left after I eat my daily meals and snacks (except for my PM snack). I personally don’t mind if I see somewhere around 500 left for my day but any more then that I feel like I might be putting my body into starvation mode. So I will eat something to get me to around 500 calories in my day. (Of course it is not every day but a few times a week I have noticed)

I am curious what everyone else prefers?
What kind of snacks do you use to get it to your personal levels?

Replies

• abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I personally do not usually eat of my exercise calories back. I eat them when I am hungry. After a huge workout, I am hungry, so I eat.

I know a lot of people eat nuts or peanut butter to get their calories up in a healthier way.
  • holthaus30
    holthaus30 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    With no exercie I would like to see closer to 200 left in case I want a late snack but with exercise I dont care how much is left, I dont like to eat back a lot of my calories.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know. I was leaving big deficits and not losing. So, this week I am eating right up to my limit. Last night I was under by 5. I'm going to try to eat as close as I can to my total and see how that makes a difference.

I have been reading that leaving deficits will cause your body to hold onto fat. There's a reason why that number is there.

I'll report back the results after a few weeks. As a hint, I stepped onto the scale this morning and was down 2.5 lbs, but that's not official yet. I log on Wednesday mornings.
  • nancycsel
    nancycsel Posts: 47
    Options
    I'll let you know. I was leaving big deficits and not losing. So, this week I am eating right up to my limit. Last night I was under by 5. I'm going to try to eat as close as I can to my total and see how that makes a difference.

I have been reading that leaving deficits will cause your body to hold onto fat. There's a reason why that number is there.

I'll report back the results after a few weeks. As a hint, I stepped onto the scale this morning and was down 2.5 lbs, but that's not official yet. I log on Wednesday mornings.

I will have to check back.. I'm curious!
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    To make sure my metabolism is functioning at its peak I like to be at least within minus 50 - 300 of my calorie goal. For snacks I like eating fruits, HEALTHY snack bars (Larabar), Peanut Butter toast, or Special K with 1% milk.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I try to be within 150 cal of my target. If I have extra from exercise, I try to eat back at least half of those also.
  • lizz3lizz
    lizz3lizz Posts: 14
    Options
    Bump
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I want to know your results too! I have close to 500 sometimes left. I feel like i should be losing more. I feel sometimes it's conterproductive to eat all my calories back at the end of the day though..like i'm cramming food down my throat before I go to bed!
  • baluroses
    baluroses Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes calorie deficits are a good thing and other times not...depends on a number of things. First how long have you been running at a calorie deficit and how much weight have you lost doing so. Secondly, what is the majority of your food made up of...is it carbs? is it protein? If you are going to run a calorie deficit for a while it is better to have your protein numbers be higher. The one thing you need to be extra cautious of is slowing your metabolism down...which is why I would suggest upping your protein especially following any kind of weight training. Killing your metabolism will ultimately defeat everything you are gaining in losing weight....you will yoyo and regain plus. I personally think it is best to "trick" your body to continue burning...so one day eat 100 calories ABOVE your goal, the next less then your goal, the next eat right at your goal....that way your body doesn't adjust to everything you are doing as quickly and you don't turn down your burn. =) Good luck!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I`m happy if I am 200 on either side of my goal for the day (so 200 under or over my goal if fine with me)

I do strive to eat all my exercise cals back but I also use a HRM so I am sure of what I`m burning :)
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    800-900
  • Tamz36
    Tamz36 Posts: 20
    Options
    bump
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stick with the "slow but steady" 1 pound loss per week, so I want to stick as close as possible to the suggested amount of calories needed to lose it. I'll eat most of what I add from exercise, but I like to leave about 100-200 unused, because I don't trust that some of the calorie numbers from the food lists are accurate.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Ehh i like to leave 100-200 at the end of the day, makes up for some of the in-accuracy in food labels, extra bits of veggies here and there etc.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I stay with-in 100 cals under/over. 103 lbs gone so far and still counting.....
  • humanreplica
    Options
    Usually around 100. My fitbit gives me "rewards" for my exercising. It will throw on anywhere from 50-200 extra calories that I can consume. I usually delete those.
  • stefstaf13
    Options
    When you complete your food entry at the end of the day, it tells you at the bottom what you would weigh if everyday was like that day. A couple of times it told me I wasn't eating enough calories. So I guess as long as it doesn't say that at the end of the day, you're clear.
  • AmberJaebabeyy
    Options
    I leave from anywhere between 0-1100 it varies frequently and I don't seem to be losing any wait but then may be gaining muscle.
  • tgmshierry
    tgmshierry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When you complete your food entry at the end of the day, it tells you at the bottom what you would weigh if everyday was like that day. A couple of times it told me I wasn't eating enough calories. So I guess as long as it doesn't say that at the end of the day, you're clear.

It never really sank in that this is so true!!