Amount of carbs to eat

Options
I'm a bit concerned. I started MFP yesterday and it says the amount of carbs I should eat is 171. However, when reading on:a medical center web site, it says:

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.
100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.
50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

So, to me the 171 is too far out there. It looks like 100 grams should be my goal. Am I not understanding MFP??

Thanks,

Replies

• krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've been trying to stay between 50 and 100, even though my macros are set to 130 for carbs. I'm finding it REALLY difficult to stay low (since I'm also watching my sodium and making sure I stay under 2,300). A lot of things I love that are lower in carbs (cheeses, etc) are high in sodium. I don't eat bread except for a rare occasion, if I do it's low-carb whole wheat pitas. I don't eat anything processed, no pasta, etc, and am still having a hard time staying between 50 and 100....I'm afraid to go higher, but I guess I'm also curious what range people are staying in, and if they are having results.....if I can eat up to 130 which is what I am set for, I'd be happy!!! It's very hard to stay under 100 when you're eating fruit, oatmeal, etc!!!!

Oh, and you can change it, but MFP has it set as a percentage of your total calories (I think the automatic setting is 40% from carbs, 30% from fat and 30% from protein). I am not in any position to advise you to change your settings, but maybe someone else can shed some more light on it!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit concerned. I started MFP yesterday and it says the amount of carbs I should eat is 171. However, when reading on:a medical center web site, it says:

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.
    100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.
    50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

So, to me the 171 is too far out there. It looks like 100 grams should be my goal. Am I not understanding MFP??

Thanks,

Not sure what medical website would post that, sine that is Mark Sisson's Carbohydrate Curve for Weight loss and is basically garbage.

Here's what to do, ensure adequate protein and fat intake each day and then let the rest of your calorie fall where they may.
  • Xbwalker
    Xbwalker Posts: 65
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've been trying to stay between 50 and 100, even though my macros are set to 130 for carbs. I'm finding it REALLY difficult to stay low (since I'm also watching my sodium and making sure I stay under 2,300). A lot of things I love that are lower in carbs (cheeses, etc) are high in sodium. I don't eat bread except for a rare occasion, if I do it's low-carb whole wheat pitas. I don't eat anything processed, no pasta, etc, and am still having a hard time staying between 50 and 100....I'm afraid to go higher, but I guess I'm also curious what range people are staying in, and if they are having results.....if I can eat up to 130 which is what I am set for, I'd be happy!!! It's very hard to stay under 100 when you're eating fruit, oatmeal, etc!!!!

Oh, and you can change it, but MFP has it set as a percentage of your total calories (I think the automatic setting is 40% from carbs, 30% from fat and 30% from protein). I am not in any position to advise you to change your settings, but maybe someone else can shed some more light on it!
    Check out my daily food. I am staying around 50 carbs per day and still feeling pretty satisfied most of the day. My calories are probably a bit too low compared to what you are going for but staying under 50 isn't too hard if you stick to lots of meat and veggies/fruit.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    First fat was demonized now carbs are...

Your goal should be to not eat added carbs (Sugars/corn syrup/etc)

Whatever site that was, was hokum.

It is generally viewed that moderating your carb intake is probably a good thing.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think the carb curve that Sisson outlines is actually pretty good. It may not be completely accurate for all people, but is a good guideline. I'd listen to that before I listened to the recommended limit that MFP gives (unless you have tweaked your percentages to be more in line with how you want to eat) and certainly wouldn't follow the USDA RDI for carbs. But, then again not like I'm an expert or anything, just a guy who has lost about 65ish pounds by limiting carbs and not much else.
  • krissypea79
    Options
    I am not one of those people that thinks carbs are bad....and I have learned enough about what the "good" carbs and "bad" carbs are....and I guess I was just sort of curious if it mattered that my number was a little higher IF I was getting my carbs from good sources. I personally feel that I am someone who is sensitive to carbs, but at the same time, I think most of that is the bread, pasta, processed stuff that I eat when I fall off the wagon once in a while. If I am not so hung up on this 50-1oo range, and try to focus on my protein & fat, it would be a heck of a lot easier. I'm going to try it and see what happens....

Xbwalker - thanks, I will check out your diary for some more ideas :smile:
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You need it all! Carbs help you stay hydrated, fat allows you absorb some awesome vitamins and protein lets you grow big and strong :)

Today I'm at 234 carbs and counting, haven't eaten supper yet.

FYI following this method, I've dropped over 3% body fat in 2 months and gained muscle mass all without craving anything and feeling full. Personally for me it works like a charm but everyone's body composition/needs are different.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs less than 100g/day. It helps curb my cravings too.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I personally think carbs get a very bad wrap.... Carbs have been a mainstay in my weight loss... When I started I was eating 60 grams at my 3 main meals and 20 grams at my 3 snacks (avg. of 240 a day) since then I have upped my carbs to 80 grams and 30 grams (avg. of 330 a day) and am still losing weight... I am currently in maintenance mode due to knee surgery 3 weeks ago but I am still eating 300+ carbs a day and am just fine maintaining.. What works for some may not work for all but in my case I have lost a little weight and eat carbs daily... Just eat good complex carbs over the junk food I use to eat.... I am also a Type 2 Diabetic......
  • krissypea79
    Options
    You need it all! Carbs help you stay hydrated, fat allows you absorb some awesome vitamins and protein lets you grow big and strong :)

Today I'm at 234 carbs and counting, haven't eaten supper yet.

Well this makes me happy :happy: I don't want to be so strict, I guess it's all trial and error...and I call eating that few carbs ERROR (for me, not judging anyone else) :laugh: What's the worst thing that can happen if I eat more? As long as they are good ones, probably nothing!! Thanks for the input!! Hopefully all of these comments have helped the OP as well!
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I agree with other posters that I am sure no reputable medical site would post that. I'm not saying that it is wrong, but it looks like some person's recommendation.

I do limit my carb intake because I have insulin issues and my body reacts differently to sugar and carbs than in someone else. You might lose weight faster at first by reducing your carbs, but it is mostly water and you will find that it will even out and you will lose weight at the same rate as someone who is simply watching calories. Do something you feel you can sustain for a lifetime.

You can adjust your macro settings to match your preference. I just adjusted the percentage of protein, carbs and fats. Do what works for you and make sure you are getting enough protein and fat and stay in your calorie range.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options

Check out my daily food. I am staying around 50 carbs per day and still feeling pretty satisfied most of the day. My calories are probably a bit too low compared to what you are going for but staying under 50 isn't too hard if you stick to lots of meat and veggies/fruit.

Don't look at his diary. He is eating around 1000 calories a day and sees nothing wrong with it. . .Please be careful whose advice you follow.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First fat was demonized now carbs are...

Your goal should be to not eat added carbs (Sugars/corn syrup/etc)

Whatever site that was, was hokum.

It is generally viewed that moderating your carb intake is probably a good thing.

Actually low carb was a fad in the 70's too. Then fat was bad (types of fat were treated pretty equally too). Now back to the all carbs are bad thing.

I agree with you, but with our obesity epidemic here in the U.S. the low carb thing is not going to die anytime soon.

We want something simple, a "bumper sticker" approach if you will. "Don't eat carbs" is a much easier concept than actually having to LEARN about nutrition.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I've been sticking to 25 net carbs per day for a while... and let me tell you... my belly disappeared, my cravings stopped. I eat delicious, nutritious foods :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, especially in the way their bodies handle carbs. People who are insulin resistant, have PCOS, diabetes, etc. should definitely be watching their carb intake, especially sugar and processed grains. For the average person, it's all about calories in, calories out.

That said, I have difficulty losing weight if I'm eating more than 1300 calories and 100 grams of carbs per day. But that's ME. I spent 3 months losing and gaining the same 5 pounds trying to eat more of each and it took less time than that to lose 10 pounds once I cut out the processed carbs and kept them low overall. I also haven't put the weight back on since hitting my goal in October. I'm currently balancing days of over 100 grams with days under 100 grams and it works for me.
  • jmedavis1
    jmedavis1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I am trying to go more "Paleo" myself and the ratios you posted do come from Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint (also Mark's Daily Apple), both of which advocate a Paleo lifestyle. It makes perfect sense to me that we should eliminate refined sugar and processed grains from our diets because we obviously were not created to eat such things, especially in excess. Dairy, I think, is another food group to eliminate or limit. I mean, do you think early man dragged a big cow around with him all the time so he could drink? Certainly not. BUT, early man didn't sit around calculating macronutrient ratios either. He hunted, mostly gathered, and stopped eating when he was full. That's the lesson I think is most important to take from the Paleo diet. Cut out the processed food. Period. JERF! (just eat real food) and you will see results.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,749 Member
    Options
    I am here to testify that I lost all my weight eating 200+ grams of carbs a day.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my carbs on here, but I can look back on the app on my phone and check. I seem to average 175-225g a day (eating 1,500+ calories), and I'm losing weight just fine.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am here to testify that I lost all my weight eating 200+ grams of carbs a day.

Impossible, frankly i'm surprised you're not obese with all that insulin being released ;)
  • moholly
    moholly Posts: 3
    Options
    i try to keep my carbs on the 30-40 gram range for weight loss and health. i don't know why fitness pall has that setting, but i have customized my numbers ; 800 for calories, -40 for carbs, and 100 for protein.