My first 5k

Options
So I am running my first ever 5k this Sunday 25th, and I wanted to know how good/bad my time is. I started running with couch to 5k in January and ran 5k fur the first time ever in 38mins this week. I know that's slow in terms of experienced runners, but for a short, overweight person who had never run before January how embarrassing is that time? I'm worried I'll be last across the finish line on Sunday and feel like I've failed :( Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, and please be gentle with me, I'm new to this running malarkey!

Replies

• sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    That's not bad at all for a new runner! I ran my first 5k+ 1 1/2 weeks ago (it was 3.5 miles instead of 3.1). My goal was to finish in 45 minutes, I finished in 43 :) I was very proud! And trust me, there were a LOT of people behind me.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    On my first 5K race few yrs ago, my time was 38. There were many who finished after me. Many people also just walk fast and do no jogging. Also- I found myself speeding up towards the end when the finish line was in sight so you may be surprised and get a better # than while training. Having all the other people there helps as well. I'm now training again for 5K in april. This will be my 2nd ever!! Good luck.
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    On the treadmill, under the best of circumstances, my best 5k time when I push myself is 33 minutes. So 38 is nothing to be ashamed of. My very first 5k took 45 minutes, so... :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    For just starting in January that's not bad at all. You'll probably run a little faster in the race and won't be last, so don't worry about that. If you keep up with the running and weight loss your time will get much faster over the next year.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Oh no, you should not be embarrassed at all!!! You've worked hard over the last couple of months, so you should be very proud of your accomplishment. So proud to have you as a friend, so proud of your hard work. Go get 'em! :happy:
  • laurabingley
    Options
    38mins is amazing to say you've only been running for 10 weeks!! I've been running for around 3 years on and off and I do 5k in around 30mins! Good Luck.. you'll be miles from last!! :happy:
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Even if you cross the finish line last, you have not failed.

When I first started running and doing triathlons, I would sometimes finish last. Keep at it and eventually you will get faster.

Remember: DFL>DNF>DNS (Dead ****ing Last is better than Did Not Finish, which is better than Did Not Start.)
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing awesome!! My time for my first 5K was 35 and now I'm around 30 min. My advise is this: you will be nervous but just try to relaxe and breath! Try to stay at a nice steady pace in the beginning...don't worry about the people that are passing you. When you feel good, pick up the pace a little and of course once you see that finish line - give it all you got!!
    Good Luck! I'll be thinking about you :smile: