You let your kids eat what??

Options

Replies

• glitterpiss
    glitterpiss Posts: 113
    Options
    Man I must have been spoiled as a kid. If I didn't like what my mom was eating, I could make my own meal. She encouraged me to try new things and eat my veggies, but some things I just never liked. I was also encouraged to be independent and able to make my own food and not have to rely on them for every meal. I don't get the point of forcing kids to eat food they hate and not letting them eat anything else. I wouldn't make my self eat certain things I don't like (mushrooms!) now, so why would I do that to a kid? I started cooking/preparing food at a young age and it wasn't very difficult. I wouldn't want all the stress associated with meal times that would occur if I was trying to force a kid to eat food it didn't want to eat. I find that kids are naturally curious about what you're eating and will want to try new foods. Also, as a kid I has some input in what my mom would make for dinner. I think this helped a lot, because we could agree on things we both like most of them time.
  • islaybower
    Options
    My kids get what I cook (which is healthy), and they can choose to eat it or not. I don't mind if they pick and choose which bits on their plate they want, as long as they try something here and there. Sometimes we serve pudding (yoghurt, fruit, very occasionally ice cream), sometimes we don't. We're icky in that we've just never really bought things like chicken nuggets, pizza, ready meals etc, so my kids don't really know they exist!

At parties or family get togethers or whatever though, they can eat whatever they want, I'm quite happy for them to mainline cake once a month or so ;)
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Man I must have been spoiled as a kid. If I didn't like what my mom was eating, I could make my own meal. She encouraged me to try new things and eat my veggies, but some things I just never liked. I was also encouraged to be independent and able to make my own food and not have to rely on them for every meal. I don't get the point of forcing kids to eat food they hate and not letting them eat anything else. I wouldn't make my self eat certain things I don't like (mushrooms!) now, so why would I do that to a kid? I started cooking/preparing food at a young age and it wasn't very difficult. I wouldn't want all the stress associated with meal times that would occur if I was trying to force a kid to eat food it didn't want to eat. I find that kids are naturally curious about what you're eating and will want to try new foods. Also, as a kid I has some input in what my mom would make for dinner. I think this helped a lot, because we could agree on things we both like most of them time.

I agree with you. You shouldn't force them to eat stuff they don't like, imagine if someone did that to you? Just because they are kids it doesn't mean they aren't people with feelings and stuff. As long as they are getting the nutrition that they need, I think you should let them eat what they want. My mom let me eat what I wanted as a kid and now I love all sorts of healthy stuff.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    There are always different meals in my house as I am veg and my husband is omni and our girls were finicky.

I never forced my kids to eat things they didnt like. I would hate to to have to put something in MY mouth that repulses me just because someone else thinks its good and that I should like it cuz they say so. (balut anyone???? some ppl find it gourmet but the idea of eating a fetal duck makes me want to retch). Just as I would not want to be coerced into eating anything I don't like I wouldn't do it to my kids. They grew up healthy and well adjusted with wide food interests and no eating disorders.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent or anything, but as a kid my mum was pretty onto it in terms of food and nutrition.

We were allowed once treat per day - if we wanted chocolate in the evening we could have a small piece with a glass of milk. No milk, no chocolate (me and my sister HATED drinking milk).

In terms of dinner times, my mum cooked one meal. You had two choices: eat it or leave it. My sister really hated cabbage but mum would always put everything on our plate on the proviso that we had to at least try it. If we persistently didn't like something (like my sister to this day won't eat fish or seafood) then ok, fair enough.

Nothing was off-limits though and we were never made to count calories or weigh things.
  • beccacoug
    beccacoug Posts: 24
    Options
    If I didn't eat what my mother gave me she would serve it up to me for my next meal. I'm not a parent, so I'm probably going to get flamed here, but when did parents start pandering to kids like this? I'm just curious, did the parents of this generation do that? Mine didn't and certainly the previous generation couldn't afford to.

If my parents were having something I didn't like, my mother always made me buttered noodles. I can tell you if my mother did what yours did, I would have starved to death.

I have 4 small children. They eat what we make or they don't eat. My husband and I love to cook, love to eat and I'm sure it may be genetic. But more so than not, it's bc we enforce the rule that they try it. They don't have to eat it all but must try it. I've thrown aways many servings of squash which stinks (to waste food), but now they get it and they eat it.

Dieticians suggest that a child be shown a food at least 10 times before you throw in the towel. Just seeing it on their plate that many times will make them comfortable with it enough to try and eventually enjoy. My kids get crap food sometimes too (maybe too much) but they eat EVERYTHING! Steamed artichokes, seafood gumbo (we are cajun), any fish, and mine do enjoy quinoa now. They LOVE pizza with brocolli and fresh spinach on it. Some days, most days, they say they don't like it (whatever we've prepared). We remind them that we worked hard to provide and that is dinner. They usually eat. .

Kids will not starve. I think that's why we have such an epidemic of bad eating habits in the US. Parents chase their toddlers around and try to force feed them "just one more bite". They don't need it! If they do, they will ask or stay seated!!

I know all children are different but I say keep trying!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Balance, moderation. And make sure she's active.

^This. Dinner is always a home cooked meal, and they eat what is served. Lunches are mostly leftovers from the night before, but sometimes there's mac & cheese from the box and ramen. That's ok with me since they eat pretty well most of the times.

^^^This. We all eat the same dinner, my kids are required to try 3 bites of everything. If they still decide they don't like it, then they can eat what they do like that's on the table. Lunch is whatever you want to make or take to school. We don't cut out anything in our house because I want my kids to be able to make good decisions when they are over at a friends or with someone who doesn't eat more healthy like we do. I do give them chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and corn dogs, but it's not a daily occurence and they eat plenty of fruits and veggies. I love that when we are at a restaurant, they will almost always choose a fruit or veggie instead of french fries even without me prompting them.
  • shinypinkpolish
    Options
    Wow, after reading some of these responses I am feeling so lucky. My son will literally eat 95% of the things I make for him. He loves all kinds of meats, salads, fruit, yogurt and more. I do let him eat junk food sometimes, because I feel like he has a really healthy relationship with food. (I wish I did) He doesn't eat until he's full. He turns down junk if he's not hungry, and he's very active. I could learn a thing or two from him, huh? lol
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I'm number 5 of 6 kids. if you thought you were getting a separate meal, you were insane. I also know my mom said she "didn't believe in picky eaters" because she would also wrap up your plate and serve it for the next meal. the only thing I remembered getting out of was brussell sprouts - had to have some at the original meal, but she wouldn't wrap them up for me the next meal, and anything with cabbage - I absolutely detest the stuff. that being said, I don't make separate meals for my kids either, and if the 3yr old doesn't want what we're having for dinner - which he has trouble with a lot more often now, then I tell him fine, don't eat it, but that's what we're having for dinner. when I'm done with my dinner, I take his plate/bowl or whatever, and put it on my own, and tell him, mommy likes it, daddy likes it, we'll just eat yours. and then....he wants it. reverse psychology - works great.

another "game" I play with him, is get a bit ready on his fork, and put it on his plate, and tell him, don't eat that, it's Mommy's bite...and try and "tend" to his baby brother, and then he tells me he's "eating your bite Mommy" and I tell him NO! don't eat that, it's Mommy's bite.... works like a charm - he loves that game.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yea I won't force my daughter to eat anything...usually has to try.

she hates chili...gave up on that couple years ago

I will have to check out Annie's b/c we're so busy with various classes betwee the 2 of us and appointments it's not funny

I should add, I don't remember being forced to eat...as I got older if I didn't like something I could make my own meal then. And I'm sure it's not a good thing but usually I'm eating dinner standing up cleaning the kitchen & doing dishes while my daughter is at the table. We chat about our days but I don't sit down at home until I'm ready for bed
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This has been an issue at my house for years. You see...I've always been overweight despite eating much healthier than most of my friends and my daughter has followed my path. The crazy thing is ...we eat so much more healthy than her skinny friends and their families do. Since she's overweight, when its just us I enforce the heatlhy choices, however, when her friends are around I'm not as strict. I don't want to single her out for having to be more careful in front of her friends. Being a kid is hard enough. When her friends come to our house..they know they will not get the junk and will be expect to at least try everything that I give them at meals. That doesnt mean I've banned all unhealthy foods from the house. I have chips, cookies, ice cream etc. in the house..but both my girls know they can not eat from the box, they get only one serving, and they both know how to use the scale to weigh it out. They are allowed one treat per day. When we go out and they want the chicken tenders (like every kid)...they get to choose chicken tenders OR the fries...not both. Only one thing can be fried. So more often then not...they will get those darned chicken tenders with a salad or broccoli. I'm trying to teach them that nothing is off limits. To be honest though...it's not working to help her take off weight. She's as overweight as she ever was. It makes me want to cry.

I'm so sorry to hear this! It can be so tough to be a child already without that hanging over you too. Have you considered getting her checked out by her doctor to see if there's a medical reason for her weight retention? Someone who eats so well shouldn't be that overweight.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The Annies mac & cheese is good and they make a few different styles. They have like shells in white cheddar and then they have a more classic one.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I do know of kids who will starve themselves if their preferred foods are removed; even feeding clinics haven't been able to get them to eat new foods. But that is extreme, we are not talking about neurotypicals.

A lot of autistic kids do get stuck on particular foods, especially chicken nuggets, pizza, milk/cheese, tacos, etc. The high gluten and dairy foods.

I had to get my kid off chicken nuggets. You know, the frozen kind? I don't know if its Autism related, or what, but he wouldn't eat anything else. Ever. He would simply NOT EAT. For days.

Eventually, I just stopped buying them. We had a rough week, but he finally got off the nugget kick.

He's still beyond picky. There are plenty of night where he doesn't eat dinner. Gotta pick your battles!

Haha, they'll eat eventually! No kid will actually starve themselves.
  • yhateme1
    yhateme1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 5'4 195 pounds and 11 years old. she doesnt look heavy but she is. At first i cooked two meals.. but after my daughter lost her first 5 pounds she was gong ho. We eat the same thing now and work out together every night. but if she want some chewing gum or chips (neither do i keep in the house) then i will let her have it. I want her to beable to make good choices on her own.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My kids pretty much fix their own food. They can eat anything that's in the house, whenever they want - 95% of the food in the house is healthy. There are foods they like that I don't and since I'm not going to force myself to eat those, I'm certainly not going to force them to eat something they don't like.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    To my parents out there: do you enforce all of your eating habits on your children?

I've been having this conflict because there are things my 5y.o. simply will NOT eat...so I still let her eat things, that I have cut out of my diet for various reasons (usually b/c they upset my stomach).
    Example: I think frozen dinners are gross unless it's Amy's brand. Also notta fan of pizza rolls, lunchables, boxed mac'n'cheese, tater tots...you get my point. My daughter, being 5, loves these things. Now she also loves salads, including spinach, and healthy food. But she's not all about my Quinoa as much as I keep trying to get her to try it. Most nights, we're eating different meals.

Just curious to what the rest of you do and ideas to switch her over to more of my food w/o making dinner time horrific

My younger two kids have never had pizza rolls, lunchables, kraft dinner or tater tots. They are 2 and 4. We also do not buy juice, cookies, candy, chips, pop, unless they are treats. Not often, but they do get them once in awhile. We buy almost nothing boxed except for whole wheat crackers, pretzels and cereal. (cheerios)

As for making different dinners, HA! I cook around soy, nut, and dairy allergies, and my 9 year old is vegetarian. I will not cook two totally different meals. I will replace veggies with fruit for my veggie hating child, and crackers for the little ones because they hate rice/potatoes/sides in general. They get a bit of everything on their plate though. Eventually they might try it out. If they don't want to eat that's fine, but then they go hungry until breakfast.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have gotten to the point where I don;t even really cook dinner.They either want pizza or mac n cheese. SO I will cook one really healthy meal for them about every three or four days. if they eat it or not. I will eat the leftovers for my lunches and dinners. they are so picky that they want eat french toast. which they loved only a few months ago.

We even discussed why we didn;t have a dinner tonight while I was doling out the milk juice and the if you want there's fruit and carrots before bed. They decided that They would like to try to have tacos. SO I will add that to my list of things they will eat.

THis subject got so bad at our house I stopped shopping for the house and only bought my own stuff. My husband would always eat what I cooked but would never give input on ideas. we had a big fight about me cooking for 6 people and only 3 of us would eat it and I didn;t need to eat it. so I went on strike.Now I do it the above mentioned way so I can lose weight.

And, where is it written that you have to have a four course meal in the evening, just before you lay down and do nothing for 8 hours.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat what my mother gave me she would serve it up to me for my next meal. I'm not a parent, so I'm probably going to get flamed here, but when did parents start pandering to kids like this? I'm just curious, did the parents of this generation do that? Mine didn't and certainly the previous generation couldn't afford to.

Exactly what I wonder. My kids were raised to eat what was put before them. Since I always ate pretty healthy stuff so did they. Sure we sometimes had desserts but often it was fruit based or milk based. Of course they had chips about once a month and once a month we might get some fast food. But basically, my kids didn't get a lot of choice. I allowed them each one yuck. It couldn't change often or be abused but they were allowed to not eat it or have a substitute. For years, my younger one wouldn't eat cooked mushrooms and was allowed to pick it out of food. I don't think my older one had a yuck except liver which is mine so that's ok.

My step kids always want something other than what is for dinner. They were often catered to before so have no idea why they have to eat what is put before them. We threw away a lot of food. Financially, things have been really bad the last year or so and my hubby finally is making them eat stuff or go without. Hard to do as they are teenagers but it is a little better now than it was. We still have some tantrums though.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I make one meal. Take it or leave it. No substitutions, no excuses. There's something else at the next meal/snack. If you have eaten your food and are still hungry, we've got fruit and veg coming out our ears. I choose morning snack, kids choose afternoon snack. Kids choose dinner about once a week. We do have granola bars & fruit cups, sunrype bars in the house and they are options. We bought froot loops for the first time last week. My kids don't get a sip of soda til their 5th birthday, then they get 1/2 can on occasion. They've never had pizza rolls, lunchables, gogurts, or tater tots. We do have treats like pizza once in a while. We've had kraft dinner i think twice in the past year. We're not perfect, but we do pretty well.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I let my kids have whatever in moderation. I'm gluten free and can't see that working for my kids. My son loves veggie nuggets. We eat the same thing for dinner but lunch is a free for all...