pregnant and want to avoid gaining too much weight

Options
Hello everyone,

I am about 12 weeks pregnant and want to take the healthy approach to weight gain. This is my second pregnancy. Last time around I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Not so fun after the baby arrives and I had to struggle to loose 70 punds. I only ended up loosing about 50 of it. So now I am starting ahead of the game (so to speak). I am only supposed to gain 15 pounds through my entire pregnancy. I hope that MFP will help me manage my weight gain and help me make better eating choices.

Replies

• aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    I gained only 14 pounds total and my daughter was healthy! It's not that hard to do. I ate all the good foods and I ran on my elliptical.
  • Vavoomy
    Vavoomy Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I know its possible to do.

It has been hard so far with the constant morning (all day & night) sickness. Nothing other than carbs has been appetizing.
    Now that I have been feeling much better, I can get walking.
  • mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am so glad you joined! I only gained 20lbs through out my pregnancy. You can do it too. I noticed that since I kept my gain reasonable, it was easy to get off. Within 6 weeks I was in my pre-pregnancy clothing.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    you should join the preggo platform! :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/45668-the-preggo-platform

i'm 9 weeks pregnant with my second baby. i was the same as you. i gained 70lbs my first pregnancy. i got back down to 189 in May and have maintained my weight there ever since. By my 9th week with my first pregnancy I had gained over 20lbs. It was awful. So this pregnancy my goal is no weight gain. My doctor said as long as I eat all my recommended calories for the day and eat all my exercise calories, and take my prenatals, that the baby will be perfect. Babies only need 100 cals a day in the first trimester, 200 cals a day in the 2nd trimester and 300 cals a day in the 3rd trimester. that's all they need to survive. so if you are in the overweight or obese category you can actually lose some weight during your pregnancy and be fine. however, it is still recommended that you just maintain your weight throughout the pregnancy. :bigsmile:

hope this helps! and congrats on your pregnancy!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    welcome :flowerforyou:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I know its possible to do.

It has been hard so far with the constant morning (all day & night) sickness. Nothing other than carbs has been appetizing.
    Now that I have been feeling much better, I can get walking.

I completely sympathize with you. I had severe morning sickness with all 4 of my pregnancies. I had it all day and night and could hardly get out of bed. It's hard to understand unless you've been through it. It's also very hard to eat healthy and exercise, etc. This is a great website and a great tool to help you with your goals. There is also a thread on here for pregnant women called The Preggo Platform. Wishing you a healthy pregnancy and baby.:flowerforyou:
  • Vavoomy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your tips and support. I am so grateful for the positive atmosphere. Its nice to share something so amazaing (though not fun 100% of the time) with other woment who have gone through the same exact situation as I am going through now.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    it's really funny to think about pregnancy. i remember my first pregnancy as being flawless and wonderful and so easy. however, i blogged during my pregnancy and i was miserable. :laugh: this pregnancy is much easier but still...i have those days that just plain suck. :laugh: pregnancy is a wonderful thing but it is 100% HARD WORK!

Good luck! I hope it all goes well for you! :flowerforyou:
  • Vavoomy
    Options
    Welcome! I am so glad you joined! I only gained 20lbs through out my pregnancy. You can do it too. I noticed that since I kept my gain reasonable, it was easy to get off. Within 6 weeks I was in my pre-pregnancy clothing.

I didn't realize this. That is really good work! I didn't give you any credit....sorry :sad:
  • bluewhisper
    Options
    hi,I am 11 weeks pregnant with my second also and the doctor recommended i should gain 20 pounds throughout this pregnancy.i forgot to ask the doctor and i'm pretty confused of how many calories i should be getting in.This calculator allows me 1220 and since i'm pregnant i thought i should eat around 1500-1600.i want so bad to be able to manage my weight this time.with my first i gained 40 pounds in the end only losing 20 of it.
    Maybe we can help each other in this.What's your due date?Mine is March 17 2009.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 18lbs while pregnant with my second baby - midwife told me that it's no uncommon for women who are overweight to start with (I don't know if you are or not, but I know I was!) to lose weight or just maintain. Every week that I went to the doc I was down 2 or 3lbs - and I was eating just the same as before I was pregnant (whic was not good by any standards)- but instead of me getting all of the food baby was taking some of it so I didn't pack on the pounds like my first PG.

Good luck with pregnancy #2! And all the rest of you lovely ladies with buns in your ovens! :flowerforyou: :drinker: What a wonderful blessing! ENJOY!