My Plate...

Options
Got a question. at my daughters WIC appointment the other day they gave her a My Plate. She is two and could careless what her food is on. Do you think that the My plate would help with portion controls for myself? I have a huge portion control and junk food problem and I'm trying to figure out how to fix these problems before it effects my daughter.

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    1) She's not too young to learn healthy eating habits and 2) you could mimic her plate and it would be something fun to learn/do together. Get in the habit of measuring your food so you do learn proper portion sizes. Measuring cups are useful, a scale is even better, if you can afford it.
  • LaBlue24
    LaBlue24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    YES! I work for a program, the Cent$ible Nutrition Program, that teaches families about nutrition, food resource management, etc. www.choosemyplate.gov is the new and improved MyPyramid. It is easier, visibly, to understand. The recommendations follow the USDA Guidelines and also inline with the first ladies "Lets Move" campaign.

Visit www.choosemyplate.gov to learn more, you can even track your food there, to make sure you are getting the recommended amounts of all the food groups for your over all health.

Essentially, make half your meals fruits/vegetables, eat whole grain, low fat or fat-free dairy and lean protein. Drink more water and limit your sodium intake!!!