Sushi

Options
thebuz
thebuz Posts: 221 Member
Hi all,

Going for dinner at a local sushi restaurant tonight and have about 600 calories. I was wondering what people usually get when they eat at Japanese restaurants while calorie watching. I see a huge variance in actual calorie count for all things sushi and wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to go for and what to watch for.

Look forward to your replies!

Replies

• sazzlewilson
    Options
    I usually try to go for the sashimi (raw fish, without rice) and edamamme (soy beans).
    I'm very jealous...it's been ages since I've had sushi...enjoy!
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    eat more of the fish and less of the rice, sashimi is good

mmm love sushi
  • thebuz
    Options
    Luckily I live in Vancouver where sushi restaurants are a dime a dozen. I love sashimi so will probably order more of that especially since I never cook fish at home (OH's a picky eater. :-()

Love edamame too. Great suggestions!!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    fill up on the miso soup first :)
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love sushi! I go for the sweet potato rolls, cucumber/avocado rolls, any vegetable rolls. I don't eat meat, so I'm not help in the fish area. Sushi is actually very healthy and low calorie so enjoy!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The miso soup is good and really low calorie, and you could get a salad with the dressing on the side. Sashimi is superrr yumm.... You can ask them if they have brown rice instead of white and see if they can make your sushi with that.
  • thebuz
    Options
    I think I will have to do mostly sashimi and some miso. Will see about the brown rice though if a certain roll is calling my name! LOL :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I start off with edamame because it's low cal and filling. Then stick to sushi that is not fried (no tempura) and doesn't contain cream cheese or sauce.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I want sushi now, its my favorite food.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love sushi!!! The place I go to will sub brown rice for white rice so I'll usually get a tuna roll and maybe a salmon roll. I try to stay away from rolls with cream cheese or anything deep fried.

Enjoy your dinner tonight!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sashimi, miso soup, seaweed salad, I will usually splurge and have one roll as long as it does not have mayonnaise or is fried.
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i will usually get one roll, a bowl of miso soup, and a seaweed salad.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the fancy rolls that have a lot of sauce on them.. high calorie and salt. I eat mostly sashimi when I go, or very basic rolls (just fish and rice). You can also look on the database to get an idea of the calorie count for various things so you can plan what to order before you get there. Drink green tea instead of alcohol.

Most of all, Have fun!
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

I found this site a while back. I love sushi.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    watch for the miso soup at some places, as some are very high in sodium, depends where you go..
    also, as some people said, watch if the rolls are fried/have mayo/sauce in them because they end up being REALLY high in calories

i have splurged on rolls this week . but typically i like to get seaweed salad with salmon sashimi, edamame
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    寿司が大好きです!!!!!

True sushi is really very healthy, because it's just rice and fish...the problem is when it is americanized people like to put crap in there that isn't suppposed to be, like fried avacado, I have even seen cream cheese (AN ABOMINATION!! But, yummy :happy:)

Note: If the roll's name is something you CAN pronounce (like, "The Pamela Anderson"), then it's not authentic (and thus, it is usually unhealthy).

Just stick with rolls with unfried fish and the more fish (and less other crap) there is, the better. It's going to be the more expensive stuff, but it is worth it. And maybe splurge on some tempura!:love:
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Chirashi..it's a bowl of sushi rice, topped with various types of raw fish. That way you can enjoy the fish part and only eat as much or little of the rice as you want.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I usually try to go for the sashimi (raw fish, without rice) and edamamme (soy beans).
    I'm very jealous...it's been ages since I've had sushi...enjoy!

^^^same, sometimes I'll have some miso soup...which I'm sure that is very high in sodium.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love sushi too, its best to stick with sashimi as others have suggested. The rolls tend to be filled with calories depending on what it has in it, but rice is the big culprit for calories too usually.
  • thebuz
    Options
    Love all the responses and good suggestions guys. Heading home soon to get yummy sashimi!!!!!