Newbie topic-- am workouts and breakfast

Options
Hi, I have just started working out again after a long hiatus and I had a quick question maybe some of you more experience fp's can answer.

I've heard that it is best to eat first thing when you wake up to jump start your metabolism; however, due to time constraints and my great ability to procrastinate I find it best to work out first thing in the am.

If I eat before I work out, I get an upset stomach, but I also get a rumbling tummy if I don't eat before I work out. Which do you prefer? Eating and then working out or working out and then eating. I don't really have time to let my food settle before working out in the am before work.

Any suggestions? What have you found to work best?

Thank you!!!

Sarah

Replies

• AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I eat about an hour before I workout in the morning, but if I don't have time for that, I make sure to eat something small, like a half banana, to make sure I have something before working out and then have something bigger after.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Can you a small portion of your breakfast before the workout, and finish it after the workout?
  • sbreems
    sbreems Posts: 17
    Options
    It seems so obvious, but no I haven't tried eating just a small breakfast or part of it before. That could help! Thank you!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, that works for me.
    I usually have a small piece of fruit and a coffee before I work out and this doesn't bother my stomach at all.
    Afterwards I'll have my usual breakfast - mostly porridge on weekdays and eggs on the weekend.
  • katemarie4
    katemarie4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i eat a few almonds (or some other type of nut), or even a string cheese. some type of protein to hold me over while i work out.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this too. I like the idea of some nuts and small amount of fruit.
  • Kmoeser1028
    Kmoeser1028 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually eat about 30 minutes after i'm done working out. I'm on my elliptical about 10 minutes after i wake up and i drink water while i'm working out. Works well for me.
  • MRSJACKON22
    Options
    I grab a banana, yogurt, or special K 90 calorie bar but my first pick is eating a banana. I have to take meds in the morning so I have to eat something before I work out.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Another good pre-workout snack is a peice of toast with peanut butter. mmmm
  • Kay_B01
    Kay_B01 Posts: 4
    Options
    When I was going to the gym before work I would just roll out of bed and go, then eat after and I found that was usually ok as long as I had plenty of water to drink aswell.
  • sbreems
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will definately try eating something small before the workout and then a regular breakfast after. A few nuts or a yogurt might work for me as it won't 'weigh' my stomach down.
  • sbreems
    Options
    I do love peanut butter! This might work! Thanks
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Subway egg white flat bread 6" with ham, gp. ,onion , eat half before half after
  • shaedreams
    shaedreams Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating after a workout , because I too will get an upset stomach, heartburn, etc.
  • shaedreams
    shaedreams Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Another good pre-workout snack is a peice of toast with peanut butter. mmmm

Even better than peanut butter is PB2 - it's natural and not near the amount of fat as peanut butter. I actually like the peanut taste better in PB2! Try it!