Sedetary vs. lightly Active?

I have a question regarding these settings. While I do have a desk job, I'm up by 6 - 6:30 in the mornings and rarely sitting down before 8:00 pm at night. I do sit during the day to work, but otherwise I'm up and moving every other time of the day (including MANY trips to the bathroom because of all the water I drink and exercising.)

Are the descriptions misleading to anyone else? I like to think that I'm lighly active because of everything else I do during the day, but right now I have it set to sedetary because of the description of desk job. Opinions?

Replies

• IMO set it at lightly active then log any exercise.
    You might also want to find out what your BMR and be sure your net does not go below that number.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Bump.
  • NicoletheFaye
    NicoletheFaye Posts: 19 Member
    I'm in the same boat you are, even down to the times I'm active. I plateaued after losing 18 pounds really quickly, based on their suggestions. Since then, I've gone in and moved it up to active. By the calculations I got from this calculator { http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced } , my lifestyle fits into at least the lightly active category, despite having a desk job.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    IMO set it at lightly active then log any exercise.
    You might also want to find out what your BMR and be sure your net does not go below that number.

I agree. I moved mine from sedentary to lightly active because I'm doing the S90 program and I also workout for an additional 30-60 mins in the workplace gym at least 2 times per week. I do some intentional physical activity of at least 30 mins duration every day.

My BMR is 2150 based on my exercise level, but MFP has me at 1390 net calories per day. I'm in a holding pattern right now of maintaining the MFP level unless I see a weight plateau, then I'll eat more since I know I'm getting in enough exercise.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    I have a desk job too and I use the sedentary setting and log my exercise. However, when I eat the number of cals MFP suggests at the sedentary setting, I lose way more than the projected number MFP gives. This leads me to believe that I am closer to lightly active than sedentary.

With all of that said, I will stick with the sedentary setting because I don't want to risk cheating myself and eating more calories than I have "earned". I don't feel right changing my settings just so I can give myself permission to eat more. If I really want to eat more, I'll just do more exercise. Just my .02 :flowerforyou:
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Maybe try using a pedometer? The number of steps you take during the day could help!

http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/locke122004.htm

:drinker: