Work out at work...is it possible?

Options

Replies

• iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If you have a desk that will allow for it there are little tiny bicycles that are just pedals that you can use. They are inexpensive and if you have the clearance under the desk work great!

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Exerciser-Attractive-Silver/dp/B002VWK09Q/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1331823920&sr=8-10

I actually have one of those! My mom got one when she had her knee replaced, and now it's just sitting in her house.

Thanks!

This looks interesting...would you know if it makes a lot of noise when in use?
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas! bump :smile:
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I walk for an hour during my lunch breaks and it has really helped!

I do the same and I am 15 lbs down because of it.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I walk 30 to 40 minutes on my lunch hour. It has really helped me stay energized for the rest of my shift. ( I work nights)
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I have a desk job as well. I walk durning my 2- 15 minute breaks. I can walk a mile in 15 minutes!!! We also created a walking group. During our 30 minute lunch we all walk daily. I eat my lunch at my desk. I've been doing this for 2 years now. I love it for days when I can't get the gym and I love the socialization during lunch time.
  • kpovee
    kpovee Posts: 1
    Options
    I take my lunch break and do a Pilates class, go for a run or take a walk. Could you do the same?

I also got a balance ball chair for my office which is awesome.

I workout at the nearest gym on my lunch break.. It is a great booster in between the day.. If you can't do that during lunch then wake up early and go to that gym and get ready there.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Trade your chair in for a Bender Ball (or whatever they call them)

causes you to use your core more to sit up straight and you can bust out a few crunches every hour.

People might think your silly, but I bet the idea takes off... we have 3 people at work doing it now.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    There's a group on here called the Cubicle Jockeys. Office friendly exercises you do throughout the day to keep you moving. Check it out!
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Bump for more ideas.

I currently do laps around the shop every chance that I can move away from my desk. I'm also one of the potty people. Every time I go to the restroom during the day, I do 10 squats and 10 wall pushups.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I shut my door & use a Walk at Home exercise video. Low impact, so there's no thump, thump, thumping noise. I mute the sound & use an MP3 player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

Ideally I will walk outdoors during lunch ..... Wisconsin weather just does not cooperate very often
  • scl552
    scl552 Posts: 8
    Options
    I do lunges while I'm on conferences call that don't involve computer work.. I have long calls.. sometimes they will be an hour.. so I'll do lunges and squats.. I mostly work my legs.. I used to bring some small weights.. but it just got to be a pain.. I hold the arm weights till I get home..
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I walk and run at lunch breaks, some days. I'm currently working out right now with the Magic Circle (google it- it's cheap and effective). Also, i've been known to pull out dumbbells to do some bicep work. Short cardio intervals on breaks are helpful- even it's it's 1 minute jumping jacks, 1 minute jump rope, 1 minute knee ups, etc... it gets your heart rate up! it's doable- you just have to not care about what people think :P
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    up & down flights of stairs, as many as possible through the day...Usually with a 70lb sandbag on my shoulder...If there`s a case about the warehouse, i`ll do some tricep dips and press ups...I also have a skipping rope, so every time i go downstairs, i try and do 100 skips...

I also use the fork lift for pullups and dips..
  • oamber0
    oamber0 Posts: 53
    Options
    walk on your lunch break! I too work at a desk in a large retailer mall store. I try to pack a lunch that is easy to eat while walking like apple slices, carrot sticks, sandwich ect. Then I do a lap around the mall while i eat my lunch. And when it is nice out you can walk outside as well!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    No one mentioned my favorite! Toilet crunches! If you are able to put the lid down on the toilet, perch yourself on the end of the seat, place your feet on the stall door and do crunches. If there's no lid, it might feel slightly uncomfortable...

You can also sit in the toilet and shadowbox. I recommend Googling Quickie Chick, she has a lot of videos on her blog of kooky exercises!
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    If you have a desk that will allow for it there are little tiny bicycles that are just pedals that you can use. They are inexpensive and if you have the clearance under the desk work great!

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Exerciser-Attractive-Silver/dp/B002VWK09Q/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1331823920&sr=8-10

I actually have one of those! My mom got one when she had her knee replaced, and now it's just sitting in her house.

Thanks!

This looks interesting...would you know if it makes a lot of noise when in use?

I have that exact item under my work desk too. It squeaks sometimes, but that's about it. It's really just two pedals on a bar - no mechanics of any kind to make beeps or whistles or whatnot.
  • mhaynes96
    mhaynes96 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My husband took his exercise ball with him to work and he used it in place of his chair. He said he could really feel a difference in his glutes and legs, not to mention his core having to keep him balanced all the time.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk from 10am to 6pm, then drive 45 mins home which makes it about 6:45, eat dinner, and then....IT'S TOO DARK TO WALK OUTSIDE. I love walking. I have those Reebok shape up shoes (which actually work), but I want to do more.

I want to do something during the day. Does anyone have some work out ideas that I can do at my desk? (I've researched it, but they seem a little impractical.)

I've never tried it, but what about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-15-0120-InStride-Cycle-XL/dp/B000PEM63K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332364828&sr=8-1

LOL... oops for repeating what was already suggested. :-)
  • Train2fitness
    Train2fitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    tricep dips are always good on a office chair! beware of the wheels rolling though.
    Holding the core tight throughout the day is good too.
    Sit on a Exercise ball all day instead of an office chair.
  • RobynC_88
    RobynC_88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I was bored in class I'd do a sort of modified oblique twist if I was in a lecture hall with swivel chairs. Plant your feet, look straight head (try not to move your neck), abs engaged, and then twist side to side.

It's not much, but at the very least it'll help keep you focused if you're feeling fidgety.