My scale is driving me nuts!

Options
I've been, according to my clothes, losing weight consistently over the past three months. Yet my scale says exactly the opposite, that i've been fairly unsuccessful.
My clothes are way looser than before--even my underwear is extremely loose. I play tennis and have noticed the gain in stamina and court coverage.
Yet, according to my scale I gained a few pounds over the last week. How can that be? Has anyone experienced something similar?:mad:

Replies

• kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Move away from the scale! :smile:

I have come to a screeching halt in my weight loss, but my clothes are looser and I have a lot more energy. The number doesn't matter - it's how you look and feel. There are any number of reasons for weight fluctuations - the best one is to be replacing fat with muscle!

Good luck! It's a tough transition to stop watching numbers.
  • psanoja
    psanoja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you, it's just that it's sooooo evident I would like it to show on the scale. But perhaps you're right.:bigsmile:
  • TheUniqueOne
    Options
    you're probably replacing fat with muscle. while muscle doesn't necessarily weigh more than fat, it IS more densely compacted than fat is.
    i am 20 pounds heavier than i was in high school but exactly the same size. i didnt have any energy then (i was taking ADD meds, which kill your appetite) and now i only take fish oil and other supplements (plus get enough sleep) instead of meds. given that i got a lot stronger and have A LOT more energy, i chalk it up to gaining muscle.
  • psanoja
    Options
    Well my leg muscles are more developed, but my underwear hangs about an inch from the thigh's skin. My neck is smaller--I can see that in the tee collars--as well as my shoulders. I still have a lot of fat in the front, and the one in the back is beginning to break apart, while my love handles are noticeable smaller. My doctor tells me I should weight between 155 and 165. At this rate, I'll never get to that goal.
    I was going to blame it on the scale (a WW scale) because it shows that I'm two to three pounds heavier from one day to the other.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Have you considered using a tape measure and keeping track of your waist size? That might help you get a more definitive picture of whether or not you're slimming down. Even with muscle being denser than fat, I believe that your overall weight should be going down at least somewhat over 3 months if you're starting off overweight and following a calorie-deficit diet + exercise type program.

But it does sound like you feel better which is awesome!!
  • psanoja
    Options
    Thank you. I will get a tape measure.
  • ChocolateisCrack
    ChocolateisCrack Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh man tell it!! I am having the same problem right now. I am trying to keep in mind that my body IS changing even if the scale isn't. How annoying is it though, a lot! I am also using a tape measure now, it's a good idea.
  • rnorderh
    rnorderh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my scale. It is a digital scale and gives varying answers from 1-2lbs difference. I weight myself multiple times turning the scale off each time. I record the 3-time consecutive value.

Now, I have noticed a slowdown in weight loss, but definitely know it is due to the increase in muscle. So I'm looking for a more advance scale which provides both weight and body-fat percentage.

If anyone has a recommendation of such a scale, let me know.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Have you considered using a tape measure and keeping track of your waist size? That might help you get a more definitive picture of whether or not you're slimming down. Even with muscle being denser than fat, I believe that your overall weight should be going down at least somewhat over 3 months if you're starting off overweight and following a calorie-deficit diet + exercise type program.

But it does sound like you feel better which is awesome!!
    Funny you mentioned the tape measure. I haven't lost any weight for three days and was a bit discouraged. I got out my tape measure this morning and I've lost 1/2 inch in my neck and an inch in my waist. My scale was also driving me nuts for a while until I figured out that the battery was going bad. It would show up one day and down the next. Measuring is probably the best way to tell if you are loosing weight. Also, I am trying to break up a long term relationship with my scale. I'm trying to force myself not to jump on it every ten minutes (just joking there) to see if maybe a pound had fallen off somewhere. I'm learning. Don't be discouraged, If your clothes are loosening up on you and you feel good, just keep up your program and the rest will follow.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I have problems with my scale. It is a digital scale and gives varying answers from 1-2lbs difference. I weight myself multiple times turning the scale off each time. I record the 3-time consecutive value.

Now, I have noticed a slowdown in weight loss, but definitely know it is due to the increase in muscle. So I'm looking for a more advance scale which provides both weight and body-fat percentage.

If anyone has a recommendation of such a scale, let me know.
    Mine required a new battery. That was all it took.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I got out my tape measure this morning and I've lost 1/2 inch in my neck and an inch in my waist.

Awesome, congrats!!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Mine is to. I do not know why the number is so important to me...
    I feel better I can see I look better but the effing thing won't budge! Stupid scale!
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    :grumble: Mine is to. I do not know why the number is so important to me...
    I feel better I can see I look better but the effing thing won't budge! Stupid scale!
    Don't let that scale throw you. Trust me it will. Been there done that. If you stick to your diet plan and don't weigh, you will loose the weight. I know everyone wants to see the numbers go down. I'm no different. But if you continue the love hate relationship with your scale, it'll bite you. I'm saying this because I've been there so many times. I mean no harm, just friendly advice from a grandma. Just diet and don't weigh if your scale is not cooperating.
  • psanoja
    Options
    Well, the scale and weight issues are less important now, because I have results that prove that I'm on the right track. I had my follow up meeting with my doctor today, and his office's scale registered a weight loss of 7.5 pounds since last month, and............... my blood pressure was textbook perfect, and a medication was taken off the list. Oh man, I feel good just thinking about it. I can't stand those damned prescription bottles in my bathroom cabinet. I will do away with them all!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well, the scale and weight issues are less important now, because I have results that prove that I'm on the right track. I had my follow up meeting with my doctor today, and his office's scale registered a weight loss of 7.5 pounds since last month, and............... my blood pressure was textbook perfect, and a medication was taken off the list. Oh man, I feel good just thinking about it. I can't stand those damned prescription bottles in my bathroom cabinet. I will do away with them all!

YAY!! Now that's progress!!!
  • SVallatini
    Options
    I was complaining about the same thing yesterday when I weighed myself. I have been doing the same things as my husband and he has lost 12lbs and I have lost 0. However, my clothes are fitting looser and being 140 at 5'4 age 40 1/2, maybe I am at a healthy weight. Also, I can tell my bottom and thighs are firmer. So, I think the key is how you feel and how your clothes are fitting, not that drive us nuts number on the scale! Also, tennis is great exercise as it works so many muscles and is awesome for the waist line.

Hope this helps, have a great day and don't fret about that number on the scales.
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    its funny that as soon as i signed on and checked the topics this one came up!! coz ive been feeling the same wait lately,..its been about 3 weeks now that my scale as stopped moving but i havent done anything different..i keep exercizing and i keep making right choice with my food !! but ive noticed that my clothes feel loose!! but its still frustrating when u dont c ur weight go down!! and when people ask u how much did u lose so far? and well i havent really lost anything since last time u asked!! from last week i actually put ON 3 pounds!!!!!! its scary stuff! i dont want to gain weight!!!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I keep saying this. THROW OUT THE SCALE. It will drive you insane. Why not go by how your clothes fit and how you feel physically and mentally. I don't own scale. I know that I feel leaner and happier since I started the 30 DS.
  • just4me46
    just4me46 Posts: 58
    Options
    I agree with what your are saying. I have been doing CE since 2-27-12 and the scale has only went down 1 flipping pound. I'm not going over my 1200 calories and most days I'm not eating ALL my excercise calories. I can tell my clothes are loose now. Monday is my measure day. I lost 20 lbs on WW a couple of years ago and wasn't doing any excercise but walking. It is so frustrating when you think .....dang.....I'm killing myself excercising but the scale is not moving. Then I tell myself, you're 47 years old, it's too late to change now. I don't know. Maybe I need to give it more time and stay off the stupid scale. I did not even finish my workout this morning because I looked at the scale before I started and I keep telling myself during the workout, crap what's the use, you're not loosing any weight.

I need motivation to get off this pity party and keep going.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I've been, according to my clothes, losing weight consistently over the past three months. Yet my scale says exactly the opposite, that i've been fairly unsuccessful.
    My clothes are way looser than before--even my underwear is extremely loose. I play tennis and have noticed the gain in stamina and court coverage.
    Yet, according to my scale I gained a few pounds over the last week. How can that be? Has anyone experienced something similar?:mad:

Fire the scale. I say this to anyone whose scale doesn't agree with the progress they are making. Mine doesn't agree with me, either. So I fired it. If you are seeing the results you need- more energy, better fitting clothes-then the numbers on the scale don't matter. Fire it.