What do you do when you're sick?

Options
If you're sick do you still workout or do you rest? My husband was so sweet and gave me his cold. I've been drinking some green tea, taking dayquil, and drinking a lot of water. I still feel poopy but I'll get over it, lol.

Should I still try to do my 30DS? Hubby says he thinks it'll help break up the crap in my lungs but I'm worried that pushing myself will make the cold last longer.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says that if you're sick from the neck up (stuffy nose, etc.) go ahead and work out. If it's in your lungs or your stomach, then don't. If you have a fever, then don't. I know if I try to do something intense while I have a cough that I'll be coughing for hours afterward.

If you feel the need to do something today pick something that is less intense and doesn't get you breathing heavily. You'll still burn calories but won't end up feeling worse.
  • ananda403
    ananda403 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a big baby when i'm sick, I stay in bed and have my boyfriend bring me soup and ice cream. I feel to bad to care!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm a big baby when i'm sick, I stay in bed and have my boyfriend bring me soup and ice cream. I feel to bad to care!

Get outta my head

:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't do much when I'm sick. If my chest is congested it could be dangerous. If only my head is congested, I might do something light, but the last thing I need is to spread those germs to my chest through a lot of huffing and puffing.
  • Tlively13
    Tlively13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    /workout :smile:
    unless you cant get off couch or coughing. that what I would do!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick very often, but when I do get sick I tend to get really sick for a day or so. When that happens I lay on the couch guzzling orange juice and diet 7-up while watching TV and sleeping. If I'm feeling really sick I'll go crash on my mom or dad's couch lol.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    i worked out every day i was sick but it was just a head cold w/ no coughing. made me feel better after.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you got it from your husband, be careful.. it might be the Man Cold! They're much worse than an ordinary cold. Make him sing "Soft Kitty" for you. :smile:

That said... If you don't feel up to it, don't push yourself. It's not a race. When you do feel up for it, go for it.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 of what i think might be the flu and not just a cold...I have attempted to work out everyday..I haven't been too successful with it, which is making me feel worse. I tried my normal workout lastnight since i was starting to feel a lil better...got about 10 mins into it and couldn't take a breath without coughing and my chest burned something awful! i've been able to go for a walk and do my stepper. that's all. Hopefully i will be able to be back at it tomorrow.

Hope you're felling better soon!
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you got it from your husband, be careful.. it might be the Man Cold! They're much worse than an ordinary cold. Make him sing "Soft Kitty" for you. :smile:

That said... If you don't feel up to it, don't push yourself. It's not a race. When you do feel up for it, go for it.

Now it's stuck in my head. I will be singing "Soft Kitty" all night now..thanks.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Don't work out when you are sick, that will make it much worse. Rest and wait, by the time you feel better you will be anxious to work out.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options

soft kitty always makes me feel better :D
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I workout when I'm sick since it's usually going to last more than a day. The only time I don't is if it's extremely bad like pukey sick or something.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick often either but, if I do I don't work out. I'd rather let my body get rest. Plus, if I am congested I feel like I can't breath which makes working out difficult. I personally would skip it and give your body some TLC
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on whether I can physically do it. I was feeling miserable last week and all my body wanted to do was rest so I did. This week I'm better and I've put in a couple of days of exercise...but I feel I could definitely use more sleep.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Depends how bad I feel. If it's a minor cold then yes I will but if its a serious head cold where I can't breathe while powering thru my workout or if I have a stomach bug then no. Everyones different. Listen to your body. If u need rest, rest then :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Judging by the last few days, I eat cake and put on weight.

I am too ill to exercise at the moment and am going crazy, but every time I stand up I black out and nearly throw up, so exercise isn't really on the cards.
  • allierae14
    allierae14 Posts: 167
    Options
    It depends on how I am feeling. The other day I felt well enough to lift but not run. Today I took as a rest day. I am hoping tomorrow I am feeling well enough to lift. Listen to your body, you can always stop if it's too much. Feel better.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Whine
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Take it wasy. If your sick your body is telling you it needs extra attention. If you're afraid of not doing anything try just going for a walk. With your weakened immune system that should be enough of a workout for you.