Free Weights vs Weight Machines

Does it matter? At my gym, all the big, buff men are always on the free weights and using the bench and other things. I always use the smaller machines (that do the same thing) but are less crowded. I don't feel comfortable working out around those guys (YET!) but I don't want to hinder my workout. Does it matter which one I use to tone up?

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Free weights and lift HEAVY. Do compound lifts. Squat--hamstrings, quads, glutes, core all in one motion. To get that with a machine, you'd have to do about 4 different machines! I do free weights and compound lifts to SAVE TIME! I do still use some "machines" like the calf raise since I don't feel I get those muscles with my compound lifts and I'm a runner. My workout today was
    squats, deadlifts, pull ups, calf raises, hip abductor and adductor, bench press and bicep curls(call me crazy-I just like doing them, so I do them) and rows. I was there for about an hour and hit all muscle groups. Using machines, you'll be there for an hour doing 1/2 your body.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I think free weights are better, but I do the machines. My gym doesn't have free weight barbells, just the Smith machine, and I've heard that can be bad for your knees. So rather than risk my knees doing squats with that, I just go heavy & deep on the leg press.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Oh-and wanted to add-"those guys" are some of the nicest people you'll meet. They will be helpful and supportive of your journey. Ask them for guidance-just don't let them tell you to lift 5 lb weights for 100 reps.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Bump, interested as well.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    I use heavy free weights in an organized class. (Body Pump). The weight loss and toning in my body since I started that 2-3 times a week is phenominal.

I agree that the big guys are very nice at the gym. They are dying for someone to ask them questions about their bodies and how they got so ripped, then they give you really great advice on eating too.
  • kaiser90
    kaiser90 Posts: 29
    free weights are ALWAYS better than machines (unless you have an injury or dont have a spotter), you are restricted in your movement with machines
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Free weights all the way. I even grunt and make noises. Believe me, it is the way to have the body you want.
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Free weights force you to use stabilizing muscles along with the ones you're working with the current exercise you're doing, for example your core. These also help you make better gains. Strength gains in a certain machine does not necessarily mean strength gains with free weights. You could use machines if you're recovering from an injury, or for a warm up if desired, but overall free weights are better. Proper form with free weights is crucial, but the gains are better.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    I do the machines because I HATE the weight area at my university. However, I have my own 8 lb weights at my apartment and do stuff. :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Free weights are much better. Basically as BigL0s said: You use stabilising muscles, and work your core more.

Also, the big guys in the free weights area are usually really nice! I see quite a few regulars at my gym now and everyone I've asked has been more than willing to help spot me on things like bench when I've asked :smile:
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Neither can really be called better or worse for EVERYONE. You will recruit more muscle fiber using free weights. Therefore technically get less of a workout on a machine. But, unless you know you have good form, the chance for injury would negate the advantage. Personally, i think a combination of the two is optimal. You can force your self to handle more weight with a set muscle group than you normally could when you take the other factors out of the equation. Marcus Ruhl (pro bodybuilder) built his chest with no BB benching at all, all smith machine.