MFP Sugar Levels

Options
Hey all,

I consider myself a healthy eater, yet MFP always claims that I go over my sugar goal. I don't eat sugary cereals, and most of my sugars come from fruit (usually 3 fruits a day). Is there something wrong or should I just ignore it?

Thanks!

Replies

• rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi -
    You're over on your sugars, but not by much and NOT because of actual sugar. Fresh fruit is fine.
    You're doing great!!!
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump. I was over my sugar after a serving of Kashi and some greek yogurt with fruit today. It wasn't even ten in the morning.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, sugar is sugar in the body, but there are other health benefits of eating fruit. I stopped tracking sugar because it annoyed me to be over on it every day! I still track carbs though which pretty much indicates when I have had too much sugar anyway!
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of the sugar on my settings this morning, I was always over for similar reasons, and in the end it doesnt really matter, there are worse things to be over on
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I just went through this a last week. I decided to add sugar to my list and see what was going on. I was over every day from just my coffee creamer and a banana or yogurt or what have you. So I said, forget it. I don't eat a bunch of sugary stuff, its all from natural sources(except my creamer, which I refuse to give up! LOL), so I'm not even going to worry about it. The natural stuff your getting it from is just fine!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on sugar on here...Basically if you have any fruit you'll be over.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm over on my sugar everyday too. I'm also way over on protein and fiber. I actually bumped up my fiber because MFP's allowance for fiber is too low.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even eat 2 fruit without being over on my sugar. If that's the main reason why you're over, don't worry too much.
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In my opinion ignore it! I have stopped tracking my sugar as I was always over from eating fruit and veg and milk in my coffee.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I always track my sugar, but that is just me. It has helped me to get really lean and prepare for my first fitness competition and paying attention to sugar in the diet is really critical to regulating blood sugar levels and controlling hunger. Fruit is great- often right after a workout to refuel depleted glycogen in the muscles or if you engage in intense cardio where you will need instant fuel (like distance running, spinning, etc.). I think it is important to be aware of where hidden sugar is lurking- things like dairy products, salad dressings, nut butters, and granolas. Even healthy food can be sugar laden.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    Well, sugar is sugar in the body, but there are other health benefits of eating fruit. I stopped tracking sugar because it annoyed me to be over on it every day! I still track carbs though which pretty much indicates when I have had too much sugar anyway!

Actually that's not true. Natural sugar is processed entirely different than processed sugar,in your body.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks all! I'll stop tracking it or worrying about it as much.
  • AttyMomOf3
    AttyMomOf3 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your nutritional needs and beliefs about sugar. I am trying to limit my sugar, all kinds - even naturally occurring from healthy choices, so I always watch it. I love fresh fruit, but try to have smaller portions of those fruits that are high in sugar (like bananas or pineapple) and more fruit that is lower in sugar (like berries). Things like yogurt tend to have high sugar counts too because the dairy naturally has sugar, but many of the yogurts (even light) have added sugar, so I compare labels to find the least sugar. All that said, I am a serious chocoholic and I still sometimes go over because of a chocolate treat (although I always eat the really dark chocolate which has less sugar).

If you are making healthy food choices, are not going over the sugar allotment by much, and don't have a health issue affected by sugar, then it probably doesn't make much difference for you. Good luck on your journey!!
  • jumpin15
    jumpin15 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks, I think I'll stop tracking it too.
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The only reason I track my sugar is my heart rate. Because of medications I am on I have hypertension and a very high resting heart rate. By staying within the MFP sugar allowance I have cut my resting heart rate from 105 to 85 on average. Again that is my personal experience. Like others have said if you don't have a medical reason to watch it, you should be good.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options

Actually that's not true. Natural sugar is processed entirely different than processed sugar,in your body.

I agree. High Fructose Corn Syrup is the enemy. Lactose in milk is OK but almond milk has no sugar. Fruit is sugary with fructose, but berries have less than melons and citrus and grapes. Alcohol converts to sugar, as does bread, in the gut. Beer has a lot of unfermentable sugar as maltose. I am no expert, but I am addicted to the bad stuff, and when I am processed-sugar sober, I lose weight and feel better. "Sugar Blues" is a good book to read.