Looking for some supportive friends new to all of this

Options
Hello my name is Wenzday ( yes that’s my real name) and I have been on MFP for about a month or so and didn’t even know there were forums. I came here because someone recommended the site ( thanks MassageGoddess) and I really like it. I am looking for some new friends to surround myself with, that are positive and supportive. Would also love to connect with others that have any bariatric surgeries.
I have recently finished all my prerequisites to have the Gastric Vertical Sleeve done. Today my paperwork was sent to the insurance company for review. I am scared and excited all at the same time and will know something hopefully in the next 15 days.

I was in a near fatal car accident in 2000 and was in a wheel chair for about a year while I learned to walk and do many things all over again. That compound with some major health issues( I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and arthritis ) I am finding it hard to work out. It’s hard to work out when you can’t walk very far without your legs aching. I Would love to know any trick that have helped people out there start moving again. When I had the accident I was in physical therapy now I don’t have that available to me so I am trying to do the best I can at home for a bit till after the surgery when I can then join a gym. I am walking but it’s a slow pace. I know it will get better, just seem really overwhelming right now in the workout department. I know I need to move or this surgery is only going to help so far, I know I need to move and move a lot.

I also do not have much support on the home front from my other half which makes all this difficult. But I am doing this for me not him and I will succeed! I am really looking for a safe place where I can be totally honest and not picked apart. I am hopeful to find some great new friend to share in my journey as well as share in theirs!

Thanks, Wenzday
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Welcome Wenzday, lots of good people and support here
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to add me!
  • ruudi1955
    ruudi1955 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Wenzday (What a great name!)

That is a truly incredible story, you have some spirit and that is something you just cannot buy!!

I have no doubt you will achieve anything you want to. Not having support from your other half is not good and will not make it easy, but you are a person in your own right and they either accept that or move on!

This site is fantastic and has really helped me. If I can ever offer support or encouragement, just shout!

Dave x
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    LOVE your name :) Welcome and I will add you :)
  • Yacki
    Yacki Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about walking in a pool. It will give you more resistence and maybe less pain on your joints. Just a thought. I had a friend who's Aunt was very overweight - who would walk for 30 minutes in her pool after every meal she ate and was able to lose a lot of weight. Walking outside of the pool was very difficult and caused her pain.

I have bad knees myself and have to be very careful with the way I move. You are so right on it - about getting moving. You have to eat right and burn calories as well as jump start you metablism to lose. You can do it!!! Just try to add extra movement in anyway possible.

I hope that your insurance will help you by helping pay for the surgery that you want. :flowerforyou:
  • gingersnaps828
    Options
    Hi! What a great story and I love your name! I am new to this too, only been a member for a couple days, so I am looking for friends as well to help support me in this journey. I will add you :)

Ginger
  • gingersnaps828
    Options
    I'm from WI too :)
  • joey200for2
    joey200for2 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Welcome Wenzday! Feel free to add me!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hello there! you are welcome to add me!
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I haven't had bariatric surgery, but do have fibro and arthritis. You are welcome to add me :)
  • genablue
    genablue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. You sound like a very determined and brave person. This journey that we are all on is tough enough but to not have a supportive other half makes it even harder.

Would something like Leslie Sansone DVD's be an option. They are low impact, also maybe the chair exercise programs, they are just as good and adding weights would be a good option. You have already taken the first step by getting on here, we will all be here to support you!
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    Hey, feel free to add me, I have fairly few friends on here but am always happy to chat with other people trying to change their lives :)

While I cannot imagine what you have been through, I do have some undiagnosed pain issues which make exercise sometimes very difficult to do, so I can empathise a little with the extra pressure other health issues can have on this journey.

I hope to talk some time :)

Alice
  • Aliwagz
    Aliwagz Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi,
    Well done for making an effort. Any step forward is a positive. Just keep moving forward. I'm diabetic and struggle with joint pain- the swimming suggestion is the best but I also find walking on the ellipticaltrainer very good. It doesn't jolt the knees and you don't have to use the arms- it's a nice smooth way to get your heart rate up.
    I have also tried pilates, rent a DVD or a book from the library. You would be surprised how some really easy looking exercises on the floor( no joints) get your heart rate up.
    Good luck- the trick is keeping yr food diary.
    Even if you miss some days- always come back.
    Aliwagz
  • cfmackay
    cfmackay Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi!!

Ive only been on the site a few days but everyone seems really nice and very supportive!! I am currently being tested for systematic Lupus and have been told I have fibro myalgia following numerous illnesses and then three month stint in hospital were I nearly died :s . Before it Id never gone over 120 pound and loved going the gym and being very active! after nearly two years in bed and being unable to walk I ballooned and put on 55 pound! Ive found it very hard to start exercising again with my joints and fatigue and so its become quite tempting to just starve myself in an attempt to lose weight instead though I know that wont really help!! What exercises have you found work if any as so far swimming is the only thing my doctor has advised me to do which is a tad unrealistic everyday though it is perfect as it is low impact, no weight bearing etc!

Good luck!!!

:)
  • robin49505
    robin49505 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is a great site - it motivates me big time - please add me if you'd like!
  • allegedglobalconspiracy
    Options
    Hello!! Welcome to MFP! It's a great resource with lots of support and encouragement. Definitely add me if you'd like. That goes for anyone else as well!
  • adriennehukill
    Options
    Hi!! Add me for support. :)
  • mamoojack
    mamoojack Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest walking in the pool!! It is such a great way to get started. (and fun too!!) Also, treading water, not even swimming, is also another way to get started with no impact. Just fifteen minutes of treading water. Sounds easy???, not so much!! give it a try!! Add me if you'd like!!! Good luck!! Lots of good friends to be made here!!
  • KeJo03
    KeJo03 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use a wheelchair full time so completely understand where you're coming from..add me if like :smile:
  • Wenzday7777
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for this out pour of Sunshine in my life i will add you all and i look forward to get to know all of you and being part of such a great community here