Recovering from squats

Options
Any tips on making my legs and bottom feel better tomorrow? I've done a lot this week and doing squats with weights too and my legs are starting to stiffen. I think I'm gonna be crawling up and down stairs tomorrow unless someone can give me some advice?

Replies

• antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Ben-Gay or some other type of muscle soothing cream.

Aleve

Massage and time in the Sauna

REST!!

Next time you complete strength training workouts make sure you get at least 25g of Whey Protein Isolate 30 minutes before your workout and another serving before 30 minutes has expired after your workout. Assure they Whey Protein is low calorie, low sugar, and low fat.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Any tips on making my legs and bottom feel better tomorrow? I've done a lot this week and doing squats with weights too and my legs are starting to stiffen. I think I'm gonna be crawling up and down stairs tomorrow unless someone can give me some advice?

I'm not sure if you just started doing squats or lifting heavy but if you're new - it will get much better over time, just make sure you recover properly before hitting legs again.

If you're not new, there's always Tylenol/Advil.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    A hot epsom salt bath, good massage, ice bath, foam roller......take your pick. I second the sauna idea, too. If I had access to an infrared sauna I'd be in it daily. I'd get a massage every day, too, if I could. :laugh:
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you can go for a walk, or like me today after training legs, go for a job, it gets rid of that lactic acid, It works for me.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    be sure you're eating enough protein and never squat 2 days in a row.
  • DonnaLRB
    DonnaLRB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Triangle stretch, yoga, BodyFlow?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I notice you're from England..."Deep Heat" cream! It's a muscle soreness cream and works really well!

One downside, it stinks..really stinks. Don't put it on just before you go out / see people, and have windows open when you apply it. Other than that, it's my go-to product when I have really sore muscles :)
    be sure you're eating enough protein and never squat 2 days in a row.

and this!
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I second the Epsom Salt bath. Those really help tired, sore muscles. Keep up the great work!!
  • healthbunny
    Options
    Does your gym have a foam roller??? I love them and use them before and after I work out! It will kill like a mother trucker at first but gets better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXQIjUuWvE
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    The soreness is caused by microscopic tears in the muscle fibers-not lactic acid.

---->Ibuprofen. Rest. Adequate caloric intake and protein throughout the day--timing is irrelevant (especially in terms of muscle soreness).

Depending on how heavy you mean when you say you do squats with weights, you shouldn't be doing them two (or more) days in a row.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    foam roll.
  • healthbunny
    Options
    I notice you're from England..."Deep Heat" cream! It's a muscle soreness cream and works really well!

One downside, it stinks..really stinks. Don't put it on just before you go out / see people, and have windows open when you apply it. Other than that, it's my go-to product when I have really sore muscles :)

This!!! But I love the smell of deep heat!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You need a butt massage? :P

Really, just suck it up and if you're walking funny, just tell people you had a VERY long night. lol
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and stretch, stretch, stretch :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am sore from Monday squats. Tonight's squats will fix that!

seriously - don't lift two days in a row but the best cure for soreness is lifting again!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Foam roll and more exercise.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Next time you complete strength training workouts make sure you get at least 25g of Whey Protein Isolate 30 minutes before your workout and another serving before 30 minutes has expired after your workout. Assure they Whey Protein is low calorie, low sugar, and low fat.

... and this is pure broscience... adequate nutrition throughout the day is all you need to worry about. there is no scientific backing to this and it overcomplicates things.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    The soreness is caused by microscopic tears in the muscle fibers-not lactic acid.

---->Ibuprofen. Rest. Adequate caloric intake and protein throughout the day--timing is irrelevant (especially in terms of muscle soreness).

Depending on how heavy you mean when you say you do squats with weights, you shouldn't be doing them two (or more) days in a row.

I just thought this was worth a quote. Please note the part about soreness NOT being caused by lactic acid.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm with the people suggesting a foam roller. This made an incredible difference for me. About week 4 of lifting, I increased the weight again, and ended up lifting a bit too much with my lower back on dead lifts rather than making sure to push it out with my legs and keep that strain off my back. Anyway, I got a foam roller and o.m.g.....such relief!! Back, thighs and rear felt great after using it a couple days. I'm taking a few more days off from lifting, and then I'll be back at it.
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies.

I have no idea what a foam roller is, I'll look it up. I haven't got a bath, only a shower unfortunately! Also I don't lift 2 days in a row but I do classes on a Tuesday and a Wednesday that both involve lots of squats but only the Wednesday one is with weights. Should I really not be doing squats 2 days in a row whatsoever? I did not know this.

I think I'll take the advice of the person who said go for a jog or a walk, and also the deap heat suggestions :-)

Thanks!