Training from 5K to 10K run

Options
Hi everyone!
I've been currently running on average 4 to 5K every second day. I'll be doing a 10K race in June and would like to get tips on how to basically run twice the distance I run now. I run 5K in 30min (which is a 9-minute mile for non-metric users). I'm 33, 130lbs and 5'4, if that helps.
Any long-distance runners have tips to share?

Thanks!

Replies

• Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I'm interested in the same. I started Couch to 5k nearly 2 months ago and it went (surprisingly) well. Just yesterday I did my longest run yet, 7k (in 47 mins), yay!

I'm also doing a 10k in June and I'm hoping to be able to run it (as opposed to run/walk). But what's the best way to work towards this? So far I've just been running a few minutes longer each time (I go 3 times a week), but should I incorporate interval training and if yes, how? I use Runkeeper on my phone and there is a "coach" section on it, but no idea how it works! :laugh:
  • hairspraymafia
    hairspraymafia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna start running an extra mile a week, or at least try to! I find it hard to not be able to carry water with me when running. We have a Running Room store near my house, I might pop in and ask for tips (since no one is replying with advice! LOL!)
  • sdsmom
    sdsmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's website has great training plans. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/ I've used his 10K plan in the past. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Keep on bumping up your volume and try to do at least one longer run each week (long slow distance) until you can comfortably run 10K. As a guideline your total training volume should not increase more than 10% week over week.

There are some great, free training plans on runnersworld.com (and lots of other terrific resources there too)
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I dont like Runkeeper.... for me wasnt tracking right... I used Get Running (Couch to 5k)
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I used this program for progressing from 5k distance to 10k : http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

It's trance type music and the intervals are already built in and the best part it's free !

I am sure you could get an app to run intervals on your smart phone too if you have one.

Good luck with your race :)
  • hairspraymafia
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! :smile:
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    i use a program called bridge to 10k

http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/

there is an app in the apple app store for it as well.

but imo don't get the gps. I found it seriously not worth it, tells me I ran 5km in 60mins, when I know in fact I ran 9km (when I look at my nike+ and at google maps)
  • hairspraymafia
    Options
    i use a program called bridge to 10k

http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/

there is an app in the apple app store for it as well.

but imo don't get the gps. I found it seriously not worth it, tells me I ran 5km in 60mins, when I know in fact I ran 9km (when I look at my nike+ and at google maps)

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation! :)
  • PrincessNariko
    Options
    Start pushing a 0,5 km to 1 km each time you run. I run 40-50 km's a week and couldn't run a meter 1 1/2 year ago :)

To push down the time I started with intervals for the whole 10 K by running a little bit faster every other 0.5km. Today my record is 10K in 46.30 and still pushing the time down.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Common runner's advice would be to only increase your mileage by 10% per week. Anything more could increase your chance of injury. Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When you move up to 10K, it's worth having a different goal for each training session so you keep up your speed up as you increase distance. So your week could be something like:

Tuesday: warm up, 20 mins of intervals, cool down
    Thursday: warm up, 5K at target race speed, cool down
    Sunday: Long run, increasing by 10% more each week

Plus two days cross training, if you want.

Good luck!
  • Siannah
    Options
    Ls of good advice, thanks!

I've read about Bridge to 10k, feels weird to go back to running/walking though!

PrincesNarik that's a brilliant time for 10k! I did 7k in 47 mins, so definitely have to work on speed - eventually, I believe increasing distance and running time is more important than speed at first, is that correct?
  • PrincessNariko
    Options
    Yes: i was really strict on my running technique and to be able to run the whole 10K without killing myself(LOL). When my 10 K's was relatively easy to do and I could do it more than once a week in slow speed, I started to speed up. At first I only ran 10K's 1-2 times a week and when I was ready I started to run 4-5 times a week.

My time got better by each week from there.
  • Siannah
    Options
    That makes sense. Think I'll just try to add a few minutes every time I go out.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of doing the same thing right now. I had never really run before November and I finished a couch to 5k type thing on New Year's Day. Since then I've been running three times a week and just increasing my distance a little at a time. I've run two 5ks since then (27:47 and 26:19) and am signed up to run a 10K at the end of April. I'm running one "short run" (3.5 to 4 miles), one "long run" (5+ miles and increase it a little bit every week) and one "how am I feeling" run (I decide before I go what I'm going to do based on how I'm feeling). This week I ran 6.2 miles on Monday (58 minutes) and 5 yesterday so tomorrow will be my short run. So far it's going really well - I think. I feel good and am not getting hurt so........ On my non-running days I do dumbbell workouts and Sundays I don't do anything.
  • tdcackles
    Options
    I use a camelbak for water. Love it! I ran my first 10K last July 4th. Training? RUN! Just get out and do it. Start out running as much as you can. If you have to walk; walk....but finish the 10K. good luck.