Does Zumba really work??

Options
I went to one of my first classes of Zumba last night and left a sweaty mess. I had a great time but I am trying to find out if it is good for weight loss and if anyone has had any successes with Zumba??

Replies

• healthy_skinny_witch
    healthy_skinny_witch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I start Zumba Kinect 2 weeks before and already lost 4 lbs! But I control what I eat and do not eat 2hr before and 2hr after workout. Usually i do 30 min intense workout or 1hr. moderate and burn about 400call per workout. But i exercise 5 times per week
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Zumba is dance, dance is excersise, excersise is weight loss. I do it for cardio because i love to dance rather then walk on a treadmill (most times i walk on the treadmill if im pissed off hahaha)

But yes it does work, it's great for getting rid of the inches your constantly moving it's really fun and great!
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    no doubt about it! i jog 2 miles everyday and sweat more or just as much doing it! build some nice muscle:0)
  • Samtastic87
    Options
    Definitely does! I wear my heart rate monitor to Zumba and the calorie burn is incredible :)
  • brunnemeyer
    brunnemeyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you left a sweaty mess it was a good work out.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I start Zumba Kinect 2 weeks before and already lost 4 lbs! But I control what I eat and do not eat 2hr before and 2hr after workout. Usually i do 30 min intense workout or 1hr. moderate and burn about 400call per workout. But i exercise 5 times per week

I bought Zumba Kinect after I tried the 5 minute trial... but I'm scared to play the actual game, because I thought I was going to DIE after the 5 minute trial! :embarassed: However, I'll work up my nerve eventually.

Seemed to me, it was so much fun while I was dancing around, I hardly noticed I was working up such a sweat... seems great for calorie burning!
  • Wenzday7777
    Options
    they have water zumba as well one of my friends did it and she said it kicked her but worse than the floor zumba and shes lost tons doing both. I am gonna try it once the surgery is done and i am cleared. I will definatly do it at home first so i dont look like and idiot. Maybe they should teach zumba for dummies ??
  • mishmash81
    Options
    I'm thinking of going to Zumba classes myself. I barely do any exercise, so I really need to get my butt into gear.
  • healthy_skinny_witch
    healthy_skinny_witch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yea, its a lot of fun! my hubby dance with me all the time and today we burn a little bit more then 1000 kcall each! So , keep going! As far as more interesting!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I just started Zumba but the first week I did it I lost a .5 of an inch with my normal workout routine. I find that you leave with your Calves on fire! And a women in my class has lost I think 5 inches when starting zumba I believe 4 months ago.

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! It's helped lose some weight, plus its fun fun fun!!!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    they have water zumba as well one of my friends did it and she said it kicked her but worse than the floor zumba and shes lost tons doing both. I am gonna try it once the surgery is done and i am cleared. I will definatly do it at home first so i dont look like and idiot. Maybe they should teach zumba for dummies ??

Oh, you won't look like an idiot if you go to class. Everyone is so fixated on the teacher they don't really notice you that much. There is a guy in my class who just has fun with it and he is really good! So I would give the class a try first. Also, if you are with the YMCA they are now teaching the Zumba Gold which is for older people and beginners with low impact moves.

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a great workout, I personally burn 600-800 calories each class. If you're not used to moderate-intense cardio or are new to working out, try to find a Zumba 101 or a Zumba Gold class to ease into it.
  • ssweet1020
    ssweet1020 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My YMCA had a free Zumba class tonight to my hubby and I went. It was rediculous! My legs hurt, my abs are killing me, my bra is still wet with sweat. It was and AWESOME workout! My husband and I are going to sign up for the weekly classes! Im so excited! And don't worry about looking like an idiot.....i glanced in the mirror and everyone did, but no one knew because we were all so busy looking at the instructor.
  • oshunofdreams
    Options
    Thanks for all your input!! Nice to hear some success stories of inches lost! I agree with you all in that really the time went by super fast compared to doing the treadmill. I think I may sign up for more classes with the inspiration of all the successes plus it is nice to get a break from the normal gym routine. Thanks again from the newbie!! : )
  • momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started doing zumba on my wii at home then moved up and started Zumba at the gym 3 weeks ago..my legs are still sore from this weeks class :) I love it and it's def a great workout....
  • kolyn75
    kolyn75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started doing Zumba because a friend of mine lost over 60lbs just doing zumba alone and she looks awesome. I am not sure her total loss to date.
  • Megclark37
    Megclark37 Posts: 111
    Options
    YES. I LOVE zumba! My butt/thighs have shrunk/tightened up tremendously from all that booty shakin!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    yes it is great! You can burn a ton of calories from it!
  • whit1108
    whit1108 Posts: 94
    Options
    Yes!! Zumba is a GREAT workout. The only thing I do is teach a zumba class twice a week and I have lost more than 22 pounds and i dont even know how many inchies. I also make sure i eat all my calories. and half of my excercise calories. The body needs it to keep going :)