frustrated

Options
I have been on MFP for a year, but have only been really motivated for the past two months. I have been logging my food and staying under my calorie goal and faithfully exercising at least 4 days a week. I am not losing any weight actually I gained 2lbs this past week. Help not sure what I am doing wrong. I have gotten to this point before and I end up getting so frustrated that I go back to my old way of eating.

Replies

• LRH64
    LRH64 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Are you really logging everything you eat? Watch your water (more) and sodium (less) intake. What are you doing for exercise, how intense are your workouts? Is your diary open? Let your friends review, they may see a pattern you are missing. Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Something is going on because even though I've been faithful 80% of the time, I am no saint, and I have barely exercised. Perhaps you are taking in too many calories. Maybe you need to go back to the beginning and start over with the calculations. Maybe the calories you are entering aren't as accurate as you think. Have you had a physical lately? You might want to check with your doctor and get bloodwork done. I hope you find the answer.

16215868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How hard are exercising? Does it take your breath away? Can you hold a conversation with someone while you are exercising? Are you pushing yourself through just one more set? That's what's needed to see results. Believe me, I have been where you are and I thought I was pushing myself at the gym, but I wasn't. I realized that when I started taking the morning classes in strength training and cardio. The thing with classes is that you have to keep going so as not to look a fool. Even if you slow down and take and occassional breather, at least you can jump back in and continue. On my own, I would have stopped when I got tired.

So my suggestion is join a gym and do the classes. Unless you are super disciplined and can push yourself super hard. It's working wonders on me!
  • lisajaneburgess
    lisajaneburgess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As far as I know my diary is open at least my food diary is. I walk 2 miles a day and it takes me 30 min, not sure if that is fast enough. I am trying to work my way up to 3 a day. There are days that I also ride a mile on my bike with my daughter. Thank you for all the help please keep it coming I am open to any suggestions.
  • Rick_SH
    Rick_SH Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I've been on a weight loss journey for 4-5 years now. It takes time. Try mixing in some weight lifting. Muscle burns fat longer and also helps tone your body. Happy to be friends if you like..
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    There is only one reason you are not losing weight: you are taking in too many calories for how many you are burning.

What is your TDEE?

What is your caloric deficit? If you want to lose a pound a week your deficit needs to be at least 500 cals a day. Yeah, you can fluctuate about a pound or two a day due to water retention, etc, but if you really are being faithful you SHOULD have noticed loss in two months for sure. No wonder you are frustrated!

But don't give up hope! You just have to figure out what you are doing wrong, but you have done a good job building your willpower these last two months, that will help you in the future!

Some good advice if you don't want to fuss with the numbers: drop your daily intake bye 250 cals a day, stay that way for a week, and *kitten* from there.
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options

What is your TDEE?

^^^^^this.. every one is different some lose when keeping at a NET 1200 calories, others work better with 1800 calories NET

Fitness frog has a pretty good calculator- however that is just #'s and math and may not work exactly for YOU. I personally never go below my RMR # and keep myself between 1600-1800 calories a day. I am 5' 3" 37 years old and currently weight 180lbs. but like I said everyone's body is different...I am taking the slower approach this go around in hopes the weight stays off

my suggestion from viewing your diary is your water intake is really low- our bodies way to flush the @!#^ we eat out is water... start drinking like a fish. tweak your food /exercise to shake your body up, however keep with the new routine for a few weeks to see if it really does work or not before moving on to something else... you have to give you body time to adjust and decide what to do.

Hang in there!
  • lisajaneburgess
    lisajaneburgess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This may be a crazy question but what is TDEE?
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You are l think taking in to much Sodium..You are always over and that does not help with people who are losing weight.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Just google TDEE..that is what l did..it is the calories you need a day just to live..
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options

not crazy, until I came back to this site in January I had no idea either:

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day.

Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) measures the number of calories your body requires to maintain itself at rest. These calories are expended on bodily functions such as breathing and heartbeat.
    this basically is what your body needs to keep functioning if you were to lay around in bed all day, keeping the vital organs functioning best.

:flowerforyou: feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • Rayjee
    Rayjee Posts: 2
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Another thing that could affect you is your eating pattern. You should maintain a healthy eating schedule, and sleeping patterns. Sleeping when you should to get enough rest, spread out your meals throughout the day to maintain good metabolism (like 3 meals a day with healthy snacks in between). It really affects a lot!

Drink lots of water and change your settings on MFP so that your sodium intake shows! (as everyone is saying!)

Your body could still be adjusting to your workouts and eating habits.~

PS: The easiest way to diet is to forget that you're even dieting at all.. Eat healthier because its good for your body. Its a life change, not a temporary fix. Even if you maintain your calorie goals, eating bad foods will still affect you. High Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar, etc. is something you don't want~

Hope this helps at least somewhat! <3
  • Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Staying motivated is really hard. diet is about 80% of staying on track. I just started a FB support group for ladies only. If you are interested in joining, add me or msg me :) id love to have you!!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and the pre-packaged stuff has a ton of sodium. If you are logging everything, I'd eliminate most of the prepackaged food and see if there is a difference.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Eat more raw vegetables and fruits. Don't buy microwavable meals. Maybe even try organic food.