Avoiding Temptation when Not at Home

Options
I really have a hard time avoiding temptation when I am traveling for work or visiting family. I try but I usually give in after one or two days. Does anyone have any tips and tricks they use other than just don't eat it, cause that obviously isn't working. I need to learn how to deal with uber cravings and temptations when you can't make your own food.

Replies

• pinkpandangel105
    pinkpandangel105 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can think of to say is pack your own snacks. I don't travel a lot, but I've noticed that since I've made sure I make almost all my meals myself I've lost a lot more weight
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options
    bump... I'm interested too! I'm excellent at home, but terrible at events or traveling. And I travel frequently for work, so some tips would be great.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    As hard as it may be, I remind myself a bazillion times how guilty I'll feel if I fall off the wagon while on holidays.

I kind of tell myself that the need for a caloric deficit is only temporary, and once I have lost all of the weight, I can treat myself every now and then on vacation without needing to feel guilty!
  • ZombieLover69
    Options
    For me, it's only hard when I'm hungry. So you could try bringing something with you to snack on or a whole meal.
  • iamlottiebee
    iamlottiebee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As hard as it may be, I remind myself a bazillion times how guilty I'll feel if I fall off the wagon while on holidays.

I kind of tell myself that the need for a caloric deficit is only temporary, and once I have lost all of the weight, I can treat myself every now and then on vacation without needing to feel guilty!

I agree. While I'm in my losing phase (i.e. - right now!) I just remind myself that this is only a small sacrifice to get to where I want to be, and once I'm there and maintaining it, those infrequent treats will be fine.
  • Amburglar
    Amburglar Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm in outside sales and on the road all day every day, so I DEFINITELY sympathize!
    I got to the point that I no longer look at any part of menu that isn't under the salad category...and I'll usually order that and a plain grilled chicken breast. I still eat fast food...salads and grilled chicken sandwiches...sometimes two (no bun). I avoid bread at any kind of restaurant at all cause, primarily because it can be impossible to track accurately. The immediately feeling after the meal is so gratifying. Like, "I did it!" The long term feeling is even better! Good luck! =)
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    One thing that will help is to research and make a list. Look up on here all your favorite stops then pick the lowest calorie stuff that's on the mfp data base and put it on your list. Example wendys - baked potato xxx calories. Mcdonalds. Fruit parfait xxx calories and so on list a few for each place you are tempted to go. There are not many places that don't have some thing ok to eat. Some its just a matter of splitting it into more than one meal giving you a lunch for tomorrow .
  • MereBear1985
    MereBear1985 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Those are some really good ideas that I am going to try next time. I actually saved half my dinner from last night for dinner tonight so I feel pretty good today even though I still went over on calories. I think my biggest frustration is when you are in a new city and you want to try a restaurant that looks really neat but it's small so you can't find any NI for the food. I guess in that case I just have to order something that I can pick apart and add to the tracker that way.

Keep the ideas coming, obviously I am not the only one on here that travels for work. I think my second biggest downfall is visiting family and having them "feed" me. Family tends to do that, they want to take care of you. lol

Thanks Again!