Quitting Smoking while changing food/exercise habits

Options
I have been smoking for about ten years, and while I'm pretty low dependency (5 or less a day unless around other smokers, having drinks etc), I'd really like to give up, for my own sake and for the sake of my asthmatic other half. I've tried before and though I don't smoke that much it's *really bloody hard!* I'm not sure I could do it right now as I'm only a couple of weeks into completely turning my diet and exercise habits around, and I'm worried if it tried to do it all at once the pressure would be too huge and I'm setting myself up to fail at all three.
But when I say to people that I am waiting for a little while for this reason, it ends up sounding like an excuse to put it off. I don't think it is, but then a smoker's brain is a sneaky thing so now I don't even trust my own reasoning!

Anyway, basically my question for other people is have they tried to quit smoking while trying to change their eating and exercise habits at the same time? If so, did you find it easier to wait until the other lifestyle changes had had time to settle before you tried? Any advice/opinions welcome, thanks :)

Replies

• subzerolv
    subzerolv Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking September 30, 2010, then quickly put on 30 lbs.! Now I'm working to get rid of the extra weight. In my view though, looking back at it, it was still worth quitting.

IMHO quitting has to be #1. It's hard to make so many changes at once, but you have to start somewhere. Quit smoking, and continue to work on eating healthy, and getting exercise. You can do it!
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I quit a pack a day 20 year habit on Aug 28, 2011... My advice is to read Allen Carrs Easy Way to Stop Smoking and also sign up for an account on Quitnet.com, I spent alot of time looking at the forums on that website in the first few weeks. I tried to change all my habits at the same time...Very difficult, I probably gained around 10-15 pounds, BUT I will gladly take those pounds as a non smoker!!!!! Its so worth it, I am now working on the weight and exercise aspect. And my endurance and lung compacity is SOOOO much better its amazing. I had to cut out alot of coffee, I now dont drink it past 2pm at the latest because caffine affects me now like it never had before. I also advice you to stock up on melatonin to help you sleep, I suffer a bit of mild insomnia now but like I said I will gladdly take it over the smoking habit. I love being a non smoker and the best part is that my children are so proud of me, I advice you to do it, make quitting smoking your priority over everything else and once you got that licked then move on to the next on the list. Anyways, feel free to add me if you need support, its hard but not as hard as it has to be.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I quit a pack a day 20 year habit on Aug 28, 2011... My advice is to read Allen Carrs Easy Way to Stop Smoking and also sign up for an account on Quitnet.com, I spent alot of time looking at the forums on that website in the first few weeks. I tried to change all my habits at the same time...Very difficult, I probably gained around 10-15 pounds, BUT I will gladly take those pounds as a non smoker!!!!! Its so worth it, I am now working on the weight and exercise aspect. And my endurance and lung compacity is SOOOO much better its amazing. I had to cut out alot of coffee, I now dont drink it past 2pm at the latest because caffine affects me now like it never had before. I also advice you to stock up on melatonin to help you sleep, I suffer a bit of mild insomnia now but like I said I will gladdly take it over the smoking habit. I love being a non smoker and the best part is that my children are so proud of me, I advice you to do it, make quitting smoking your priority over everything else and once you got that licked then move on to the next on the list. Anyways, feel free to add me if you need support, its hard but not as hard as it has to be.

Excellent advice! Those two things, Allen Carr and Quitnet helped me to quit a 50 year, two pack a day habit, cold turkey! I've been quit now for 27 months. Best thing I ever did for myself. Once you quit smoking you can give your all to getting the weight issue resolved...and you will have the oxygen to really amp up your exercise. :drinker:
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ditto on Allen Carr's book.
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have the Allen Carr book, I haven't started reading it yet. I hadn't heard of the site though, thanks :)

I'm just so scared of mucking up the progress I'm making with the diet and exercise. That's hard enough on its own. Did any of you start doing all 3 at once?
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I quit on Jan 1st this year (best thing I ever did) and have since lost 7 lbs. Quitting has made me stronger, I figure if I can quit a 15 year addiction then stopping myself from eating a doughnut should be easy.
  • David1106
    Options
    I quit smoking December 23, 2011. I smoke a pack and a half a day and I just decided to put them down. Best decision ever! I did pack on about 20 lbs, but it was worth it. I am training for a 5K and actually running now. I NEVER would have done that while smoking.

Smoking is the worst thing that you can do to your body.

I would not recommend doing them at the same time. You need to take care of the smoking first and foremost, then work on the weight. I tried doing both for years and years. Failed each and every time. Once you kick the smoking habit, you will feel even more strong on getting healthy.

Good luck, it is hard. Mind over matter.
  • Calyps0
    Calyps0 Posts: 44
    Options
    I stopped smoking permanently after reading that Allen Carr book - over ten years now. I really didn't like the book or the tone of the author but I persevered and quit before I'd finished it and have never had a cigarette since. Just don't compensate yourself with food like I do!
  • clschaan
    clschaan Posts: 16
    Options
    i tried to do both at the same time and almost went crazy .. i gave myself two weeks of pure indulgence food wise while i kicked the habit .. gained five pounds and have now lost them ..
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started cardi/weight lifting and quit at the same time. I smoked a pack a day since I was twelve (27yrs), I'm 39 now. I never worked out in my life, short of an attemt once or twice for a week. I tried everything to quit. Too weak!

I use an electric cig now. I have an Inferno w/tube tank. I still get the nic. without having to smoke. It's just vapor. I'll smoke it forever if I have to.
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm trying to quit too, maybe we could help each other out. Feel free to add me as a friend, maybe we can check in on each other to see how were doing. I have smoked today, but I haven't had 1 since 5:00 this evening and I really want one right now. I"m chewing gum as others have told me to do. I think I'm gonna just go to bed before I run to the store and buy a pack. If I can make it through the morning, which is the hardest since the kids take me through so much before school I may be OK. We'll see.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I quit a 12 year 20-a-day habit cold turkey after trying a nicotine spray and deciding nicotine sucked. Honestly both my OH and I found it really easy on the "addiction" side of things, it's the habit that's the beeyatch to break.
    I have tried to eat relatively healthily for a few years now, but did gain 6lbs during my first few months of quitting. But I've lost it all and more since then and i only quit 8 months ago. It helps that being smoke free gives me more stamina. I'd say don't put it off, but make sure you've got stuff to do to occupy your hands.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I did both at the same time. The only thing is that for the first 2 weeks, I opted to use Chantix/Champix to take the edge off. After that it was cake.

I didn't gain a single pound when I quit - but then I also dug right into my fitness & eating right every single day. On the days I felt like picking up the habit again, I just reminded myself of all the reasons why I had to quit to begin with.

I've been clean now since Nov. 12th 2011 - and have lost a total of 34 pounds since then. Good luck on your journey. It can be done, you just have to have the determination not to give up when it gets difficult.
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. Couple of weeks ago I quit smoking after reading Allan Cars books. I lasted 1 week after gaining 3lbs in that week. Out of stupid useless fear I started again. I have been miserable ever since. The other posters are correct focus on the smoking 1st and then the weight loss. I was doing both and I damn near lost my mind. I tell you the week that I stopped smoking I saw dramatic changes and I curse myself everyday that I went back. I'm right there with you. My new quit date is this Friday....I'm re-reading the book and come hell or high water I'm going to make it and screw the weight gain. For those of you who quit....I raise my glass to you...a toast to your freedom....I promise I will be joining you on the NON-SMOKING side very soon...
  • desertsky1955
    desertsky1955 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on December 2, 2011. I gained 15 pounds in 6 weeks. The first 2 weeks of quitting the smokes are the hardest after that it gets a lot easier! Don't try to do all 3 at once cause it will be too much for your body to handle! I decided to use this site and "JUST DO IT!" I have lost 21 pounds so far and I feel so much better!
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking as well and put on 10-15 pounds.. I have slowly been losing but happy to say that its been almost 5 months since I have quit!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I quit 13 years ago after smoking for 15 years... or so... I used the Stop Smoking Stay Skinny plan.. I used to never eat consistently and had a smoke & coffee for breakfast - the book advocates eating whatever breakfast you like and then keeping your blood sugar steady throughout the day by eating good food frequently. I used to cut my cigarettes to make them gradually smaller & smaller - that kind of helped too.

For me it was mind over matter. You have to BELIEVE without a doubt that you can do it. And you really CAN once you are truly ready to do it.

Best of luck!
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I havent quit yet so Im glad you put up this thread because its something I would want to know and not think to ask, Im working on a weight loss/healthy living lifestyle change right now I dont think quitting smoking will affect it too much then again I havent tried it yet lol but I know one day Ill kick this and it will be for the better. Im a low maintance smoker too not as low as you but I decrease my cigarettes everyday it just really doesnt do anything for me anymore
  • motherof3brats
    motherof3brats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking Nov 6th, 2011 cold turkey. I did put on 18 pounds and yes it is harder to get it off but let me tell you I feel so much better. I can now run and do a hard hour workout without feeling like my lungs are going to give. The allen carr book is great. Good luck if you need support please feel free to add me.