How do I trick my metabolism?

Options
I am currently set to consume 1200 calories per day. I have been the same weight now for 1 week. I also workout 5-6 times per week......getting a little frustrated!!! I have heard people talking about going back and forth with their calorie intake. How would I do this?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I am currently set to consume 1200 calories per day. I have been the same weight now for 1 week. I also workout 5-6 times per week......getting a little frustrated!!! I have heard people talking about going back and forth with their calorie intake. How would I do this?

Either a) its water weight
    or b) you need to measure your foods more accurately
  • WinLee
    WinLee Posts: 27
    Options
    Are you sure you are eating enough? From everything I have read on here, 1200 calories isn't much. Most ppl up their calorie intake goal and then the weight starts coming off. Hope this helped!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    One week does not make a plateau. If you've lost 6 pounds in the past 2 months, that's great! Keep working your program, make sure you're recording accurately, and give it some time. Our bodies don't always follow the expectations we set. You'll get there...just stick with it! :)
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    When do you weigh yourself? Check your serving size on labels as well, that's been known to trick people on how much they're consuming. With regards to your workouts, what do these involve?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    In short, you can't. Your body is very good at regulating its metabolism, and very few things can change it. Eating at too low a calorie level over a fairly long period of time will result in it slowing down as will some other things. Things like caffeine, and some other things will speed is up a very small amount for a short period of time, but your body quickly adapts to them and returns to your regular metabolic rate. You need to work with what you have.

Possible reasons for weight loss stopping:
    1) Eating too much--usually happens when a person either doesn't pay careful attention to serving size on pre-packaged stuff or instead of measuring with measuring spoons, cups, and kitchen scale they estimate. The vast majority of people estimate incorrectly taking more food than they think they are.

2) Eating too little for a prolonged period of time, but not so little that they are actually starving. Generally it is people who are on 1200 calories and not eating their exercise calories. Their deficit is too large. Or people who don't have too big a deficit for the amount of weight they need to lose. Yes, not all people can or should try to lose weight at 2 pounds per week. Generally people should not eat below their BMR. A helpful guide is the following while making sure you eat no less than your BMR

Here is a chart that suggests what your weekly weight loss goal should be depending on how much you have to lose.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

1 lb a week is 500 calories less per day. So .5 would be 250 less, 2lbs would be 1000 less, etc.

3) Retaining water either because of a big change in exercise program or intensity, or due to sodium or TOM for the females.

Those are the big ones.

Also, if you have not done so yet, measure yourself. (chest, waist, hips). The scale is a less than helpful way to measure success. By itself it doesn't tell you much. Measurements are what everyone sees, not the number on the scale, so do them now if you have not. I know people who can go weeks with the scale not changing, but their measurements changing significantly for the better.
  • gorhamk1
    gorhamk1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I workout I burn between 400-500 calories. I usually never eat my exercise calories....am I supposed to? Maybe that is the problem!
  • gorhamk1
    Options
    How much do they up their calorie take?
  • gorhamk1
    Options
    In regards to my workouts I rotate between 3 Jillian Michael DVD's, two of them where I use kettlebells, and then I sometimes go on the elliptical. I don't consume my calories burned from exercise..am I supposed to?
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you are eating only 1200 and then burning 500-600 working out, you are only netting 600 cal/day for basic bodily functions. This is not healthy, and probably why you are not losing. Your NET calories need to be over 1200 - preferably over your BMR.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    She isnt eating enough.

Post your height and weight.

Body fat% if you know it.

I'll tell you how much you should eat daily and we can compare!
    =D
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You don't need to trick your metabolism; you need to feed it. 1200 calories a day minus 500 calories of exercise = 700 calories net. Way off. Eat back the exercise calories. Or just eat a flat 1600-1700 calories.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

Do you eat your exercise calories? If not, DO.

Here's a zigzag plan... http://www.shapefit.com/calorie-intake-calculator.html enter your info and then select the 7-day zig zag plan.

You should set activity level to sedentary (little/no exercise) so that when you enter exercise, you eat them back. Otherwise, select the 5-6 times a week one, don't add your exercise on here, and go with that. Did that make sense?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Here we go again.

Just do a search and you'll find tons on this topic.

I don't even need to see your diary to know you're not eating enough.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I could do with advice regarding what to eat too as NOTHING is working.

5'3'' female

130lbs

Usually eat around 1200 or just under per day.

Sooooo frustrating!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    In regards to my workouts I rotate between 3 Jillian Michael DVD's, two of them where I use kettlebells, and then I sometimes go on the elliptical. I don't consume my calories burned from exercise..am I supposed to?

When you went thru the setup you were asked how much you wanted to lose per week. That created a caloric deficit and left you with an amount to EAT. Not an amount to go below, or try to beat. When you log your exercise calories it's say at the bottom you earn X amount more calories and you total to eat goes up. You are supposed to eat them.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I could do with advice regarding what to eat too as NOTHING is working.

5'3'' female

130lbs

Usually eat around 1200 or just under per day.

Sooooo frustrating!

If you work out 3-5 times a week...

BMR 1302
    TDEE 2017

these are basic numbers due to lack of body fat %.

Set MFP to 1614 daily.
    Protein and fat 30% each.
    Because you are so close to perfect weight, within 4lbs, you should eat up to 2400 on days you workout the hardest but no more than 3 days a week to keep the fat loss rolling.

This is zig zagging and its really helpful for those who have a higher body fat% when close to perfect weight range.
    This helps build lean mass while concurrently losing fat.

Be sure you have a good lifting program set and you take at least 2 rest days a week.
    Sleeping at night is crucial or this may fall on its face.
    At least 6-9 hours.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The only way to really up your metabolism is

1-eat alot(not what we want to hear right)
    2-add muscle: this is the best way as it increases your resting metabolism.
    3-do drugs(another bad thing) lol I call it the jenny crank diet...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    You're tricked into thinking that eating 1200 calories per day is the ticket. At least eat back your exercise calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gorhamk1
    Options
    This is embarrassing.....

5' 04

165 pounds

Not sure of body fat %

I never eat my calories burned from exercise, didn't know I should.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This is embarrassing.....
    5' 04
    165 pounds
    Not sure of body fat %
    I never eat my calories burned from exercise, didn't know I should.

You current (approximate due to lack of BF%) BMR is 1509 calories.

As someone moderately active, you should consume 2160 calories a day - on this basis you wouldn't need to eat your exercise calories back as it is accounted for in the activity level. Alternatively, wait for helloitsdan's suggestions on zig-zagging - he understands it better than me. :bigsmile:

EDIT: I assumed you meant 5'4" rather than 5'0.4" (??). See dan's below.